Video Files on Forum ×

PX560 w/external midi controller-microKontrol

Jokeyman123

I have been able to control volume and pan as well as other cc messages in real time with a Korg microKontrol connected with midi DIN cables to the PX560.

Why bother, since the touchscreen allows for the same control in real time. Because now I have 8 sliders and pots to control up to 8 midi channels in real time-and can be set to control filters, resonance and any other cc message the PX is capable of receiving. I have not tested to see if changes will be recorded in real time via the midi recorder. Now I am experimenting to see if I can control hex layer volume levels (layers) in real time with the microKontrol which might be difficult to impossible. Will have to study the midi implementation chart for the PX560. If so, I may have a new drawbar organ to work with-by setting each of the 6 layers to a different organ setting (simulating drawbar settings) I would be able to control any programmed hex layer organ with 6 drawbars to bring in or out different organ stops-and maybe control leslie speed with one of the 2 remaining microKotrol sliders and knobs.

Anybody else who might be missing more slider and pot knob controls such as in the PX5s, might be a worthy experiment-and if there is an even more compact external controller with sliders and knobs (there are many but most have no true midi DIN ports and directly connecting USB midi ports will not work since there is no host controller built into the UB midi ports)..... I'm workin' on it! Actually pretty fun to mess with. And I had tried this with the older PX350 but had no joy there and made it difficult to record multi-track midi with different volume and pan settings. Now-voila! Instant real time control....

And if you try this-make sure you set the midi menu setting to port C in to control the mixer, otherwise you will be controlling sounds through port B which is independent of the mixer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Studied midi implementation, sysex codes pertaining to all PX560 functions. I'm backing off being able to somehow kludge drawbar functions since a hex layer responds as one tone to midi and cc messages of course and I can't think of another way to achieve this but haven't given up.  The other functions are still very handy to me at least. Haven't tried recording cc changes in real time yet. I think that should work, will post my results in case anyone is interested. and being able to vary resonance and filter cutoff in real time up to 8 midi tracks in addition to the 3 PX560 control knobs  gives me more creative possibilities, especially with arpeggios-something the XW and I think the PX5s can already do. The microKontrol can assign any sysex string or CC message to any or all midi channels at once, so....

The more I mess with this PX560, the more I like it.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...