Video Files on Forum ×

ReverbNation - Invitational Playlist "New Classical Music"

Nice (but sad) melody.👍

One way to try to come up with a melody is to have words in your mind while you're playing and "speak" the notes of the words out on the keyboard. With one part of this melody, I distinctly hear "don't go!" If you dislike winter as much as me maybe you hear that too. Come back summer sun!😢

• Like 1

You are right-  i stands for minor root(tonic), I for the major one.. v is dominant, iv is subdominant.

This particular piece is an example of the second simplest musical form which is a hymn with a simple introduction.

It consists of only one section A repeated six times with different modulations (3 pairs - i , i   v ,i and iv ,i ).

Since I really play by ear, and my background in music is very choppy, I only relate to some terms that I've acquired over time.  Some stuff is obvious, like major, minor, diminished, etc., but I don't relate to scales or degrees or anything...  I know enough to be dangerous, but I cannot relate to what you're talking about...  Either way, it was nice listening and I'll listen to it again to see if I can hear those variations.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, m10538 said:

Nice (but sad) melody.👍

One way to try to come up with a melody is to have words in your mind while you're playing and "speak" the notes of the words out on the keyboard. With one part of this melody, I distinctly hear "don't go!" If you dislike winter as much as me maybe you hear that too. Come back summer sun!😢

I never tried to compose when I was learning the guitar as an adolescent, but I can imagine that a lot of guitar composing starts the way you describe.  Personally, I don't even think of lyrics or even a subject...  I can imagine a "mood", be it sad, happy, celebratory, etc., and go with the music.  I only wrote lyrics for very few songs, all in Spanish and only one in English (Dreams and Castles).  I found it very hard to write lyrics and I don't enjoy it...  I don't really care for poetry either...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, sergio said:

I never tried to compose when I was learning the guitar as an adolescent, but I can imagine that a lot of guitar composing starts the way you describe.  Personally, I don't even think of lyrics or even a subject...  I can imagine a "mood", be it sad, happy, celebratory, etc., and go with the music.  I only wrote lyrics for very few songs, all in Spanish and only one in English (Dreams and Castles).  I found it very hard to write lyrics and I don't enjoy it...  I don't really care for poetry either...

You can just hum the words to yourself just as a way to try to make a melody.

And I've noticed the best songs have a melody that goes along exactly with the feeling of the words. Take the Beatles Let It Be, there's no way you can sing it or even just play the music in a mean nasty way! A thrash metal band could try, but I bet it would still sound nice and caring!

Another interesting thing (I'm just rambling) I bet the language you speak effects the music you make. I wonder if Debussy would have created the same beautiful music if he spoke, let's say Chinese? Hmmmm.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, sergio said:

Since I really play by ear, and my background in music is very choppy, I only relate to some terms that I've acquired over time.  Some stuff is obvious, like major, minor, diminished, etc., but I don't relate to scales or degrees or anything...  I know enough to be dangerous, but I cannot relate to what you're talking about...  Either way, it was nice listening and I'll listen to it again to see if I can hear those variations.

Ha ha! Sergio, dangerous! Watch out world!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sslyutov said:

You are right-  i stands for minor root(tonic), I for the major one.. v is dominant, iv is subdominant.

This particular piece is an example of the second simplest musical form which is a hymn with a simple introduction.

It consists of only one section A repeated six times with different modulations (3 pairs - i , i   v ,i and iv ,i ).

I see what you're saying about the 3 pairs with different tones...  But I miss all those connections of degrees, etc., that I'm sure means a lot more to you than to me...  Very pretty!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, m10538 said:

You can just hum the words to yourself just as a way to try to make a melody.

And I've noticed the best songs have a melody that goes along exactly with the feeling of the words. Take the Beatles Let It Be, there's no way you can sing it or even just play the music in a mean nasty way! A thrash metal band could try, but I bet it would still sound nice and caring!

Another interesting thing (I'm just rambling) I bet the language you speak effects the music you make. I wonder if Debussy would have created the same beautiful music if he spoke, let's say Chinese? Hmmmm.

I'm sure different people do it in different ways...  For one thing, the Beatles cooperated, but I don't know how exactly Paul and John worked together... I definitely agree that the best songs have memorable lyrics, which is what made the Gershwins great and so many others I admire so much!  Today's songs lack those qualities, but I know I'm generalizing, and there are good things happening out there.

Regarding how the culture/language influences the music, I couldn't agree more.  That's why I think my songs will always have that "Cuban core" even if not recognized.  It's something that marks you early on.  I couldn't have been luckier because Cuba is such a music-rich country, and my mother was as passionate about music as I am.

I'm glad Debussy wrote his music and don't really care how he got there (only academic interest, if any).  Chinese music?  Asia is the future, I'm convinced, but it's such a different culture that would take some work...

• Like 1

There is an opinion if you want to compose then do not play somebody's music, play only your own.

I totally disagree with this.

I think that a human cannot create anything new at all. All creations are combinations of previously created ones, which just look brand new.

There are a few approaches I use. 

The main one is improvising in free form. I can say that my improvisations depend 100% on my skills.

Therefore I continue taking lessons (Methods and  Technique and it is infinite). It helps to get familiar with the methods used by big-name composers.

The second way is a music in my head - for instance extending the existing version of Autumn Sun without playing or writing.

This is a pretty effective way for me to make something nice.

Analyzing music interesting by it does not find a real application, maybe a little bit.

Another important fact is an instrument - there is a link between sound and style.

For instance, playing Synch Bass automatically takes me to 80th ;) 

I agree Sergey, I tell people to just play, play, play, your own music and others, and your bound to get better.

Your point about the instrument is good too. It might be true that the piano for instance has produced everything it possibly could. That's where synthesizers come in, an almost infinite range of sounds available.

• Like 1

I agree Sergey and M10538, that anyone, composer or not, should be open and listen to all music, not only our own.  I know that I've learned a lot in the last 3 or 4 years by arranging all kinds of songs that I happen to love, many of them from Cuba, but I also learned a lot from learning (by ear) other songs, like Porter, who's so clever with the music, but many others.

However, I don't agree that there isn't anything new....  If that were true, we would still be in caves chasing whatever creatures are around.  Yes, knowledge builds on prior knowledge, and it is contextual and cumulative.  However, each incremental addition adds to our evolving civilization.

You're lucky that you have trained and continue to train...  It's a bit late for me.  And yes, it is great to learn from big-name composers...  I get some of that through listening, because I like to listen to all music, although classical requires more concentration and I'm not always in the mood.

I also think of my music in my head when I'm composing.  I do a lot of recording on my keyboard, add it to my music player, and then listen to it.  By listening, I can find ways to improve, change, delete, whatever.  And this goes on for days...  Sometimes I can hum it in my head and come up with better pacing, etc.  Interesting...

I know that the keyboard has many voices, but I still like the piano.  That's the most complete instrument for me and I like the sound.  I've added a layer of strings (subtle) to some songs, but I still prefer the piano.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, sergio said:

I liked InspiredMelodies very much, but I only sampled a couple of songs besides Sergey's...  There's a lot of talent out there!

There sure is! Being a fellow oldster (though you outrank me a bit) I'm sure you can remember the days when all you had was a couple tv channels, a couple radio stations, a record store and that's it. And all you got is what they decided to put out. Nowadays it's almost too much, I must have 100 people I subscribe to at least on YouTube. And there's always something new and interesting! And you can find your own personal niche stuff, the "micro-music" that doesn't have a wide appeal. Said it before, I'll say it again: now and into the future is the golden age of info and entertainment, you just gotta sift through it all and find what's right for you.

That's so true!!!  Right now I get (through my cable) regular networks, many channels, HBO, etc.  But then I also subscribed to Netflix, and I get Amazon Prime Video, and then again I subscribed to Curiosity Stream, which has a lot of documentaries on all sorts of topics.  It's overwhelming!!!  I'm sure there will be significant changes over the next 5 years to reshape the industry (if we don't blow ourselves up before).

BTW, thanks for the suggestions on playing "unplugged"...  I can see how the rhythm can sound annoying in some songs.  I think it works on some, but not on many others.  There may be adjustments I could make, now that I know better the rhythm editor, but I haven't tried it yet.  Either way, I think it is a great TOOL for me to come up with melodies, but I'm going to try to return to just plain piano.  It may be a struggle...