Video Files on Forum ×

Shame that the Phrase Pad banks are empty

vbdx66

Hello everyone,

The phrase pads on the CT-X3000/5000 really look like a cool tool to make the music more dynamic. On the other hand, when you’ve never done it, it seems very hard to record and edit your own phrase sets. Hence I’m am wondering why Casio didn’t record default phrase sets in the 25 phrase pad banks. To make a comparison, on the Yamaha keyboards, there are default Multipads when you buy the keyboard.

I guess that the phrases are in some kind of MIDI format. Would it be conceivable to record/edit them in a DAW?

@Mike Martin It would be great if you could make an extensive tutorial on how to record and edit phrase sets 😎👍

Regards,

Vinciane

To record phrases: (condensed version of what is in the manual)....

1. Select the tone you want to use for the recording. Layer and split is disabled when recording a phrase. If you want to change mixer settings for the recorded phrase, select the UPPER 1 part of the KEYBOARD part group.
2. Press FUNCTION.
3. Use the arrow buttons to display “Phr Pad”, then press ENTER. This displays “Phr Set”.
4. Use the [–] and [+] buttons or dial to select the phrase set number you want to use.
5. Press RECORD/STOP. This enters record standby and the RECORD indicator flashes. The P1 indicator will flash. Indicators P2 through P4 of pads that have phrases recorded will appear on the display. The P1 indicator flashes even if there is a phrase already recorded to pad 1. You can determine whether or not a phrase is recorded to pad 1 by pressing any pad other than pad 1 in step 6. If the P1 indicator is displayed, it means there is a phrase recorded. If not, nothing is recorded to pad 1.
6. Press a pad to specify the recording destination. The indicator of the pad you pressed will flash.

7. To start recording, press PLAY/STOP or play something on the keyboard. The RECORD indicator turns on.

Measures/beats are shown in the upper right corner of the display. When the final beat of the last measure is reached, the counter restarts. You can overdub as many times as you like. If you want to change mixer settings for playback during phrase recording, select the mixer part corresponding to the pad being recorded, from the keyboard part group, parts 6 to 9. 

8. When you are finished recording, press RECORD/STOP. 

To change recording settings:

1. Press FUNCTION.
2. Use the arrow buttons to display “Phr Pad”, then press ENTER. This displays “Phr Set”.
3. Press RECORD/STOP. RECORD indicator to flashes.
4. Long-press RECORD/STOP until “Length” is displayed. 
5. Use the arrow buttons to select the 
setting you want to change: Length, Quantize, Metronome, Precount.

6. When all the settings are the way you want, press RECORD/STOP. The record indicator turns off.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, it would be great if Casio puts a few good how to tutorials online. And maybe a downloadable set of preset pad phrases and also a set of extra rhytm styles like Yamaha do. Its a very good keyboard but the user interface is very unintuitive and sucks to work with.

Regards

Richard

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well Jeremy made an interesting video but the process remains daunting and very long to edit two very simple phrase pads. It is a shame really that Casio hasn’t provided any preset phrase sets associated with the different rhythms.

Hello Chandler,

Yes, I manage using arpeggio thanks to your video. Thanks you very much !
(Thats arp button assignment thing is sooo stupid)
I still have to watch and understand the rest of it.

May I ask you to speak a little slower next time ? Maybe I'm not the only Casio CTX customers who don't speak English american as a native language.

3 hours ago, vbdx66 said:

It is a shame really that Casio hasn’t provided any preset phrase sets associated with the different rhythms.

Well, I have bought 3200€ a Roland Jupiter 80 which have all the rhythms tones and sets and do not have any rhythms function. And can play ten sounds on a key but can't play a song midi file like the CT-X does. Every JP owner on this planet said it has sound management issues and then Roland releases an app... which duplicate the synth tone editor (which nobody ask for !).

That's life ! I personally think most synth manufacturers simply ignore criticisms and user feedback's. They just move on to the next product.

It is said that Casio is more responsive. Let's see that. But CT-X5000 is already a lot of fun for 380€.

• Like 1