Video Files on Forum ×

Playing a phrase in a different channel (or layer)

mike71

I have stumbled on a problen on my PX-5S.

I have a phrase, and I like to play it on a specific MIDI channeo or zone. Normally if I plays a phrase, it will play on zone 1.

If i put it in a song it will play on channel 5 by default but is easy to route on another MIDI channel.

But I haven't found the MIDI channel to set into a phrase to make it ply on another channel. Reading the manua seems that is fixed to 1 and not modifiable.

Or thre's a method to having a phrase moved on the fly on another channel?

We have three ways to play phrases on the PX-5S, two of which you have mentioned already.  The most obvious is the phrase recorder/player.  That is fixed to channel 1/zone 1 and cannot be changed.  The song sequencer is another and allows up to 8 tracks of phrases at once.  The third method is using the four arpeggiators.  A single phrase can be assigned to each zone by changing the arpeggiators to phrase mode.  You'll need to use a key to trigger playback.  Turn on arpeggio hold to keep it playing without holding the key.  

Ok, this is a bit conterinuitive but makes some sense if you think phrases a an arpeggio variant and phrase recorder/player as a strict editing system. May I say that is a bit weird?

Because I can't see why one can't choose the zone. I could hope that this will be fixed in a software update...