Video Files on Forum ×

Converting styles for Casios

Jokeyman123

For anyone interested...I just found this website with several interesting software programs, this one in particular is about the best I have seen, for taking a Yamaha style file, and converting to a GM standard midi file as well as changing just about anything in a .sty Yamaha rhythm file to make it playable on a Casio. The Casio CKF converter seems to work better with GM standard midi files that can become playable on the many Casio auto-arranger instruments. I have just tried this-converted a Yamaha .sty file to GM with this utility (PSRuti so-called) and then ran it through the Casio CKF. I'm sure not all styles will convert over perfectly, but this program seems to be the best I've tried. The puzzle with file conversion has always been the embedded codes Yamaha uses for the Yamaha keyboards which does not translate well to Casio without alot of work, in my experience.

And the trick of simply changing the .sty file name to .mid does work-but it still remains largely unrecognizable except for specific Yamaha keyboards or software set to the Yamaha midi map. This piece of software seems to be eliminating that problem, for me at least. and this program also allows for setting specific sounds, banks etc and saving it as an smf first. Then I  run it through the casio CKF converter and so far I have gotten pretty accurate results. Just passing it on to anyone who might be interested.  and there are a gazillion yamaha .sty files online if you need that.

http://www.heikoplate.de/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=67&Itemid=83

• Like 2

An addition to this post-have been auditioning many Yamaha style files as midis with software-it seems the newer Tyros use many tracks I don't normally see with auto-arranger rhythm files-most seem to be designating midi channels 9-15 or 16, but the patch (sound) maps will not be the same. the older style files seem simpler in general, has been interestign to see how these styles are designed from the midi files, and many are type "0" not type "1" mid files-apparently Yamaha must use possibly one master track to read the entire .sty accompaniment within the keyboards. I split the tracks to see where everything is.