Video Files on Forum ×

Help needed with Ravenscroft 275 iOS

Rudolph R-N R

On another forum I found out about the half off sale for Ravenscroft 275 piano.  Have REALLY been loving iOS music programs like Neo Soul Keys, Syntronik, Galileo II, etc., so I was eager to try it out.

But for some reason I haven’t been able to get the app to receive my X500’s MIDI signal.  I can play the app with the onscreen keyboard, but it doesn’t respond to the X500.  I’ve tried it with the Korg PlugKey, which is my usual interface, as well as the Apple Camera Connection cables.  After failing to get it to work, I switch over to any of the above music apps, and they work immediately.

The support team at UVI suggested I made sure the active MIDI input was set to Korg PlugKey, which it was, and suggested I select all 16 MIdI channels in the app, which I tried.  None of it has worked.

AFAIK, the X500 transmits on 3 MIDI channels.  This piano is capable of having a split keyboard, but at this point I’m running it just as 1 keyboard, which of course would only use 1 MIDI channel.  I have changed none of the MIDI settings in the X500, so I assume I’m still transmitting at least on MIDI channel 1.

Any thoughts why this isn’t working?

Thanks,

Randy

1 hour ago, Brad Saucier said:

I would switch back to the Apple camera connection kit and a USB cable from the USB MIDI port on the MZ-X500.  Now check the app's MIDI input setting.  Does it show Casio USB MIDI anywhere?

Yes.  There’s a setting page, and when I have the apple camera kit or the Korg PlugKey connected, it says CASIO USB MIDI,  or.  KORG PLUGKEY , respectively.  I make sure to highlight/select that option (the other default option is NETWORK SESSION, which comes up even with nothing attached).

In another forum, MusicPlayers.com > Keyboard forums, I posted the same question, and here is a response:

================================================================

I had the same issue with IOS 12.1 and Korg Plug Key but with my Novation SL49 MkI.

I use the same IoS apps that you do - Neo Soul Keys, Syntronik and a bunch of others. I downloaded Ravenscroft IoS and it didn't work immediately for the reasons of not recognizing my controller and the other apps did.

I switched controller to my Roland FA-07 MIDI output and that seemed to work with all of the MIDI channels open in Ravenscroft, I believe. Then I put the Novation back in and tweaked some things - don't remember what exactly, and got it to work on the iPad.

I actually just sold my Novation controller on Saturday and am in the midst of buying something else right now, so I can't go and play with that anymore to give you settings.

=====================================================

So, it appears it has something to do with the Casios settings.  I have never changed anything in the Casio MIDI settings.  It’s set to KEYBOARD CHANNEL: 1,    MIDI OUT/THRU: OUT.  The registration I’ve selected has all 4 Tones turned on.  From past experience I know that the 4 Tones in a registration correspond to at least 3 MIDI channels, and toggling on/off the Tones turns on/off these MIDI outs.

Its not completely clear from his post- he said that Ravenscroft didn’t recognize his controller (in my tests, using both the Korg PlugKey and the Apple Camera Connection Kit, the Ravenscroft app did recognize, in the MIDI IN settings, that I was using one of those two interfaces), but it sounds like he doesn’t remember exactly.

Randy