Video Files on Forum ×

Ext Part mixer settings saved in performances?

Chandler Holloway

Hi all, I've been looking through the manual for the XW-G1 because I've been looking into buying one but I haven't found any information about what parts of the mixer are saved for recall as performance registrations. Specifically, I'm wondering if the External In mixer settings can be saved and recalled when using the MIC input and running it through various DSP effects.

Also, is there any way that the External In mixer settings can be automated as part of a step sequencer chain or SMF playback? Can you automate switching between the DSP effects applied to the External Inputs? I like being able to focus entirely on the keys when I perform so being able to automate as many settings as possible is key for me.

Performance registrations on the XW series are similar to stage setting registrations on the PX-5S, in that they only store mixer settings for the 4 zones.  Step sequences store their own mixer settings. Solo synth tones will store mic/line input mixer settings as the external oscillator. Keep in mind the XW series only has a single DSP insert effect to work with at any given time, which can be stored with tones.  You could theoretically store different solo synth tones and use those in different performance registrations to automate mic/line settings.  

Thanks for the clarification Brad. Is there any way to quicky recall/automate only the Reverb and Chorus send settings for an external input? These seem to be separate parameters from the DSP settings or the settings associated with using the external input as an oscillator for the solo synth. Is it possible to change the Ext In mixer settings with MIDI CC data?

Once you've recorded a sample loop on the G1 and saved it to memory, is there any way to automate playback of a saved loop? For example, if I have backing vocals recorded to a loop and I want to automate them to come in at a certain point in the song, can I trigger loop playback using the step sequencer or an SMF sequence?

Chandler, as I study this a little more, the mic line input is not really designed to do what you are asking.  Making your decision to purchase, I would assume it can't just to be safe. What I suggested is only a possible workaround to use solo synth tones as "registrations" for mic/inst settings.  I'm not even sure that would work well.  Also, MIDI CC messages won't work. Perhaps a sysex message would, but I can't confirm that.  

To clarify about effects, the XW series only has one full time system effect, which is reverb, and one master effect, EQ.  When DSP is not in use, chorus can be the second system effect.  When DSP is active, chorus is disabled.  Also, DSP types are limited to 6 types for solo synth tones.  DSP options open up for PCM tones.  

As far as automated playback of a looped sample, the sample looper stores samples as user wave tones.  You can use a wave tone anywhere a PCM tone is used.  It's not saved as a looping sample in a user wave tone, but can be edited to do so.  Or, simply retrigger the sample with whatever sequencer you use to automate it. 

That's alright, being able to automate mic effects isn't a dealbreaker function for me, I was just curious. I still have an XW-PD1 that I can use as a dedicated effects unit as needed, I suppose I could just run my mic through there and then plug the headphone out into the AUX In on the G1 (or mix it separately altogether). Automating those effects over MIDI is easy, and I could probably use G1's tablet tray to mount the PD1 cleanly.

Glad to hear that User Wave tones are so easy to automate. Out curiosity, how long can a single mono sample be once it gets converted to a User Wave tone? The manual claims that a mono sample recorded with the sample looper can be nearly 10 seconds long, but I'm wondering if there are any length limitations involved when those samples are converted and stored as tones.

X700 X800 Sound List.pdf

1 hour ago, Chandler Holloway said:

The manual claims that a mono sample recorded with the sample looper can be nearly 10 seconds long, but I'm wondering if there are any length limitations involved when those samples are converted and stored as tones.

It's 19 seconds max for mono/21K, even when saved.

• Thanks 1