Video Files on Forum ×

Demo Styles Yamaha converted on MZ-X!

Silvano Silva

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Yes possible to convert Yamaha styles on MZ-X to play it on MZ-X.

Thanks to the built in SMF CONVERTOR so the we can easily convert any smf file and ready to be played in keyboard.

Method:

1. Copy the Yamaha Styles of .sty or .prs format to USB in any folder you want.

2. Plug the USB in your keyboard

3. Select your Rhythm in which you want to write Yamaha style data, or you can select empty user rhythm in MZ keyboard. (Empty rhythm is shows NO DATA on user rhythm area of MZ-X keyboard.

4. Press RHYTHM button on keyboard.

5. Select EDIT on Touch Screen (You can Hold RHYTHM button to go directly in Edit menu)

6. Select PATTERN SEQUENCER

7. Select "SMF IMPORT" (SMF is called Standard Midi File)

8. Choose the Yamaha's Style file or any SMF file with extension like .MID, .PRS, .STY... etc.

(Find and select the file of Yamaha Style where you copied that file and SELECT it.)

9. Press SELECT

10. Now here you can choose the Variations, Fill-In, Intro or Ending which you want to Import from Yamaha Style to Casio MZ-X.

11. Select EXECUTE on display and press YES for sure.

After waiting a sec, the rhythm will be successfully imported to the keyboard and you are ready to play the rhythm after changing some Mixer and Parameter Settings (if needed).

Edited by Akshansh

On 1/18/2022 at 1:01 PM, Akshansh said:

Yes possible to convert Yamaha styles on MZ-X to play it on MZ-X.

Thanks to the built in SMF CONVERTOR so the we can easily convert any smf file and ready to be played in keyboard.

Method:

1. Copy the Yamaha Styles of .sty or .prs format to USB in any folder you want.

2. Plug the USB in your keyboard

3. Select your Rhythm in which you want to write Yamaha style data, or you can select empty user rhythm in MZ keyboard. (Empty rhythm is shows NO DATA on user rhythm area of MZ-X keyboard.

4. Press RHYTHM button on keyboard.

5. Select EDIT on Touch Screen (You can Hold RHYTHM button to go directly in Edit menu)

6. Select PATTERN SEQUENCER

7. Select "SMF IMPORT" (SMF is called Standard Midi File)

8. Choose the Yamaha's Style file or any SMF file with extension like .MID, .PRS, .STY... etc.

(Find and select the file of Yamaha Style where you copied that file and SELECT it.)

9. Press SELECT

10. Now here you can choose the Variations, Fill-In, Intro or Ending which you want to Import from Yamaha Style to Casio MZ-X.

11. Select EXECUTE on display and press YES for sure.

After waiting a sec, the rhythm will be successfully imported to the keyboard and you are ready to play the rhythm after changing some Mixer and Parameter Settings (if needed).

The conversion is more complex than what you posted. First of all I have to prepare the original STY on the computer. And I also sampled Tyros 2 Drum Kits and also the bass guitar to get as close as possible. It's not a simple task.

1 hour ago, Silvano Silva said:

I have to prepare the original STY on the computer. 

What do you mean by this? 

Yes, it's complex for many and some rhythms. Because all the notes and events are placed in same way, only it's sounds are different so it is adjustable by editing drum sounds or editing the events. But mixer and parameter settings are compulsory to edit.

Many times I faced the issues with the keyboard about their samples, sounds, events, parameters and mixer settings because of different controls of both keyboards. For me, it's acceptable. 🙂

I know all the thinks that why I wrote After waiting a sec, the rhythm will be successfully imported to the keyboard and you are ready to play the rhythm after changing some Mixer, Events and Parameter Settings (if needed).

I'm getting almost 60 to 70% progress of the rhythm(s) that's not correct? 🙂 

Rather then we have to create whole style by listening only.... we don't match the rhythm by listening only if we don't get it's event because small frequencies are may vary hare to hear without monitor speakers or headphones or until we don't have low to high frequencies responsive drivers. For me, I can easily create any rhythm by my listening only but everyone doesn't have pure freq., responsive speakers.

Almost and atleast I can get the events of the rhythms which is the important part of any rhythms. After that it's easily or may hardly configurable. 

I converted various and varieties of Genos styles and Pa4X styles for MZ-X500 in MZ.

Some rhythms such as Slow"n"Swinging, 90s Dance, Electronica and so on.

Can I ask a question that how can you managed these situations? 😊

Edited by Akshansh

On 1/23/2022 at 2:13 PM, Akshansh said:

What do you mean by this? 

Yes, it's complex for many and some rhythms. Because all the notes and events are placed in same way, only it's sounds are different so it is adjustable by editing drum sounds or editing the events. But mixer and parameter settings are compulsory to edit.

Many times I faced the issues with the keyboard about their samples, sounds, events, parameters and mixer settings because of different controls of both keyboards. For me, it's acceptable. 🙂

I know all the thinks that why I wrote After waiting a sec, the rhythm will be successfully imported to the keyboard and you are ready to play the rhythm after changing some Mixer, Events and Parameter Settings (if needed).

I'm getting almost 60 to 70% progress of the rhythm(s) that's not correct? 🙂 

Rather then we have to create whole style by listening only.... we don't match the rhythm by listening only if we don't get it's event because small frequencies are may vary hare to hear without monitor speakers or headphones or until we don't have low to high frequencies responsive drivers. For me, I can easily create any rhythm by my listening only but everyone doesn't have pure freq., responsive speakers.

Almost and atleast I can get the events of the rhythms which is the important part of any rhythms. After that it's easily or may hardly configurable. 

I converted various and varieties of Genos styles and Pa4X styles for MZ-X500 in MZ.

Some rhythms such as Slow"n"Swinging, 90s Dance, Electronica and so on.

Can I ask a question that how can you managed these situations? 😊

Some instruments are mounted differently on different brands.

An example is articulated sounds.

A steel guitar in the MZX can have its effects in different regions than a PSR.

You may even be able to convert a rhythm but you still don't have some of the soul of the original Rhythm from another keyboard and it's not always appropriate to change its dynamics and rewrite it playing. More than that is needed, many CC command functions do not work properly when converted.

it's also about getting keyboard samples or deep editing MZX kits for proper setup.

THE COMPUTER SEES DETAILS THAT IN A DIRECT CONVERSION THE MZ-X DOES NOT SEE.

Just a little factoid-a Yamaha .sty files can be changed to a midi file simply by changing the file extension to .mid. But yes, this does not mean the style will automatically converted to a style that is playable on the MZ-X or any other Casio arranger. Chandler, myself and a few others have worked hard in documenting how these styles can be converted, to work as closely as is possible from a midi file or Yamaha/roland/Korg rhythm file to a rhythm auto-arrangement that will sound at least reasonably close to the original. I've done it-but converted to a ckf the older Casio format, it did take a lot of editing and since many Casios cannot edit these rhythm arrangements internally-most of the work needs to be done on the computer first. You can check my examples in the user upload section I recall I listed most of these in the PX560 section of user files.

And the other tough part-most of these arrangers use the General Midi standard for pre-selected tones in their arrangements, yamaha uses "sweet" voices sometimes, will not translate to a tone that sounds quite right in a Casio, which will revert to its GM tones which are not always the best sounding depending on Casio model.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ASHLIN B ANIL said:

Can anyone suggest any available softwares able to convert sty to ac7🙂

Yes, you can directly convert STY to AC7 by using onboard SMF Convert option, which is available on the MZ-X keyboard.

Based on this method (also given in above comment)

Edited by Akshansh

I do have a MZX 300 keyboard and I have also converted STY to AC7 using the onboard SMF converter ☺️ but the thing is that it does not produce the accurate copy of the Yamaha styles.

Also it will be rather easy to have many rhythms as AC7 files on a flash drive and be ready to use on the go. For that, it would be wonderful if any software was available which could convert a batch of STY files to AC7. The onboard SMF converter can only convert one file at a time and also produces only lesser quality rhythms.🙂

15 minutes ago, ASHLIN B ANIL said:

I do have a MZX 300 keyboard and I have also converted STY to AC7 using the onboard SMF converter ☺️ but the thing is that it does not produce the accurate copy of the Yamaha styles.

Also it will be rather easy to have many rhythms as AC7 files on a flash drive and be ready to use on the go. For that, it would be wonderful if any software was available which could convert a batch of STY files to AC7. The onboard SMF converter can only convert one file at a time and also produces only lesser quality rhythms.🙂

In any extension format of styles, they cannot carry the sounds and samples. They only are Midi notes, so if you want to ready the rhythms good you have to make changes in the keyboard like Mixer and Parameter changes. These two changes are compulsory to make a correction of chords and tones. After that Event Edit is the best way to make the rhythm similar to Yamaha.

I also have Genos keyboard and tried many and varieties of Casio rhythms on it, it also sounds different from Casio then I changes it parameters and mixer it looks good and after working on Event Edit. The rhythm is perfect.

There is one software available to convert Midi file to AC7 files. It is also called MID to AC7 convertor software.

To convert .STY to .AC7 just change the STY extension from .STY to .MID and load it to the software and convert it to AC7. 

Also, it may possible to convert STY to AC7 directly.

Personally, I cannot use the software as I have SMF convertor on the keyboard. 🙂