Video Files on Forum ×

Zone 2 Sound Hanging

voyteckm

Hi,

My first post here although I've read through most of the forum and have been seeing some very helpful information - thank you to everyone contributing

I'm a fairly new user to a PX-5S, only a few months. I created a stage setting with 4 zones fairly simple - Z1 - HexLayer Simple Pad, Z2 - HexLayer Slow String, Z3 - Grand Piano Modern, Z4 - Electric Piano. I also assigned the following controls - Pedal 1 - Hold for Z3 and Z4, Pedal 2 - Hold For Z1 and Z2. Sliders 1 - 4 Volume and Zone on/off to zones 1 -4 respectively. I believe it is quiet a frequent setup, nothing special.

Now I have two issues I'm trying to work out and was wondering if anyone else had that happen or figured out what is causing it:

1. When I play zone 3 and/or 4 and sustain the note with pedal 1 and bring in Z1 and/or Z2 with corresponding sliders (piano only for the verse adding strings or pad for the chorus) every note I play after bringing the Z1 and Z2 with sliders, sustains the the sound of Z1 and Z2 even if I take my hands of the keys and not hold any pedal, it just keeps sounding. So I end the verse on some piano chord, hold that chord with the pedal 1 sustain, bring in strings to start on the first chord of the chorus while still holding the pedal 1 not to cut of the sound on piano (to make a smooth transition into the chorus) and when I hit the first chord of the chorus which is supposed to be piano +string/pad and the strings/pad keeps sounding. Now if I let go off the pedal 1 and sustain the last chord of the verse with hand only and bring in Z3 and Z4 it does not happen I am able to continue to play to the chorus as expected. I'm not sure If I explained it clearly... hopefully I did.

2. Second issue I noticed is if I change the slider assignment to Expression instead of volume (just a preferred way for me to play for levels not to get out of control). Now if I want to stop the strings/pad to come back to verse and I drop the slider 1 and 2 all the way down , it fades out nicely, the zone turns off (saving polyphony just for the sake of things being done properly in my mind - I know with 256 notes I probably will not run out :) ), and after the zone goes off the expressions for the zone I just turned off goes all the way up until I release the sustain (Pedal 2 in this case) I play the next chord. So to illustrate this another way, I end a chorus on some chord as piano and strings, fade out strings and as soon as the slider for strings reaches all the way down value of 0 for expression and value of 63 for zone off it re-activates the sound at a full expression.

If any one could help me understand if I'm doing something wrong or if it's a flaw in the design of the instrument or my understanding I would really appreciate the help - thanks in advance

Voyteck

Thank you for responding Brad,

For part 1 I knew I did not make myself clear enough- it's hard to describe, but thank you for trying to help. I will try to restate - I do have the pedal assignments turned on and off as needed per zone as well as the sliders.

Let me try to simplify the set up - I have Z2 Strings, Z3 Piano. I play a chord with Z3 on and Z2 off, so only a piano sound. I sustain that piano sound with pedal 1 (cc64 "hold" only activated on Z3) move slider 2 up (only activated on Z2, Target 1 Volume 0-127, Target 2 "Zone On/Off" 63-127), the strings do not sound yet (that's how it supposed to be they're supposed to start on the next chord I play), I hit the next chord I get the piano and strings as expected, I release pedal 1 (cc64 "hold" only activated on Z3) and move to the next chord but the strings continue sounding the same chord I played after bringing them in. Despite the pedal assignment, they just make that constant sound never stopping. I even tried to move the slider 2 back down to tur the zone off and back on and the same string chord is still sounding. I hope this is a better explaination. That's why I suspect it's some sort of a bug... Also worth mentioning I am on firmware version 1.13. 

Again thank you for trying to help, do you have any other thoughts on my case? I will leave the second scenario out for now :)