Video Files on Forum ×

Recording PX560 control knobs with midi recorder

Jokeyman123

I have been informed that the 3 control knob movements can be recorded as part of the midi recorder functions (Brad gets credit). Has anybody tried this yet? I am not quite clear how this might be done, since the control knobs can be set in a large variety of ways to do filter sweeps, turn loudness up and down etc. What's confusing me is how to implement that with a midi recording. I understand I can save whatever settings/functions I set for the controls in a registration. Can I then select the registration, then the midi recorder to use the registration settings along with my recording-including the control knob settings I stored in the registration?

I am only guessing that the control knobs will then use those functions per recorded track but I haven't tried this yet. I also have been informed (Brad again) that the PX560 midi recorder will not record from external midi connected devices into its own recorder, I have tried and it does not work-I trust Brad's knowledge, but I tried it first, then asked......but the control knobs will record, and I am hoping real-time changes from the mixer/touchscreen will also be recorded.

I have also experimented with an external controller and have observed the mixer settings will change on the display screen-loudness, pan-I can change anything the mixer screen allows for, but it won't record the changes from the external controller. I know Brad, I never ask easy questions, I will if I can think of one!

Any clarification or anyone who has done this.....hope I'm not the only one.       And good morning, at least here in the eastern US.:waaah:

I've used the controller knobs to manipulate volume while recording a midi track in real time.  Problem is you have to (as far as I know) do this as you lay the track (3rd hand necessity), not after it has been recorded.  For instance, I recorded volume changes while recording, but then accidentally overwrote these changes when I changed and saved the midi track volume in the mixer after recording.  Variable volume froze to a single position.  Prior to this mistake, I could see the volume graphic in the mixer vary as recorded.

• Like 1

Thanks, T-squared

Does this work for each individual track-in other words have you recorded changes to more than one track and managed to save these? I think you have to save the entire recording each time to keep the changes. My older px575 requires this-because it is saving each recording pass for the mixer settings in the system track-for all the other tracks at once....a bit hairy to figure out but I did after much trial and error.

And how did you set this up-did you save knob settings with a registration first, or do I need to change the knob settings "globally"-without a registration setting-record my multi-track midi recording, then re-assign the knobs differently for each subsequent separate arrangement I create? I'm guessing that might be so, just trying to save some trial-and-error time since I have so little time lately.

I also recall-some of the older Casios use a setting to save the header info-mixer, tempo and other settings with the system track. I forget what this is called in Casio-speak. Brad described the 2-button combination that will save those changes-by pressing the midi stop/play button and the store button simultaneously while in midi recorder mode, so apparently the PX560 has the same function. I'm guessing again-that all the mixer settings are being saved to the system track-not to the individual tracks......maybe....

What we are posting here may not seem so important to some-but recording filter sweeps, panning etc. in real-time can make for a more interesting arrangement-plenty of other equipment can do this-my RM1X, MC-505, even the lowly QYs  (with some fiddling-no pun intended) so maybe I'm spoiled. and i will use an expression pedal for this if I understand exactly how it is implemented in the PX560, since the pedal jack can be programmed to I think all the functions the knobs can control-I'll have to read the manual again to check that, and again having 3 separate knobs with 3 distinct functions would be better IMO. An "overdub" function certainly would have helped ere, but then I've said that before, several times. 

Not sure if manipulating control knobs with different assignments on multiple tracks can be saved with system track, but likely since mixer settings are saved per track.   I have only done this on one track.  PX560 mixer settings are saved to the system track with "store" + "midi play" buttons simultaneously.  Screen flashes stating save to midi file.  I assign custom knob functions per selected tone  just prior to recording track.  If it's a registration saved tone, the custom knob settings stay with the registration borrowing you re-save the registration bank after assigning.

• Like 1

Thanks again. At least I know it can be done per track. I have already asked for a firmware update for the PX560 to enable overdubbing and recording to the midi recorder with external gear...I'm pretty sure I'm asking too much but it would be a very useful feature since I can simultaneously control pan,  levels and efx levels on tracks with th an old Korg microKontrol. I just can't record the control changes internally to the PX.