Video Files on Forum ×

CDP-S350 Question!

Pips

Hello! I just picked up the new CDP-S350. I'm digging it so far, but I have a question!

I have connected it to my Macbook via USB and it works great in FLStudio 20. When I select a soft synth in FLStudio it works fantastic being controlled with the S350, however the notes ring out from whatever preset is currently selected on the S350 along with the notes from the softsynth on the Macbook! Okay, easy enough, just turn the volume all the way down on the S350 and play through the macbook. Works!

However, the S350 has some pretty nice speakers in it. Much better than the ones in my Macbook. So I routed audio from my macbook into the aux-in on the S350. It sounds really good! However, I have to turn the volume back up to hear what is coming from the DAW on the Macbook. This brings me back to hearing double notes again.

Is there a way to mute the notes from the S350 while still using the aux-in at various volumes? Effectively using the S350 as a MIDI controller only while using it's internal speakers from Aux-input. I don't see an empty patch to select.. There's gotta be a way, right? A simple empty patch would make this possible.

I could always just get nice monitors, but that takes away from the "portability" and the fact the speakers are decent for a simple laptop DAW setup. 

P

1 hour ago, Brad Saucier said:

It's called "local control".  Turn that off.  Full details is in the CDP-S350 manual, for the English version, page EN-46/47 and EN-55.  

Fantastic! Works like a charm! 

I know it's a weird thing to be doing, but it works! This thing is so cool.

It's not that uncommon, actually. USB midi and an audio input are pretty much standard on Casio digital pianos because people so often use them with iPads or laptops runnings DAWs and VSTs.

If this is going to be a dedicated studio controller, I would recommend saving a registration with Local control set to off so you can quickly toggle it on with a single button press. To save a registration, configure all the settings you want to recall first. Then hold down the Store button and press one of the four numbered Registration buttons. The display will show "Store x-y" where x is the Bank of Registrations you're in and Y is the specific Registration you've stored. You have 8 banks of 4 registrations each for a total of 32, and you can load extra banks in via flash drive if needed (or export banks to flash drive of course).

• Like 2

If you have an Android or Apple device, you should check out Casio’s Chordana Play for Piano app. It includes some great educational features for learning piano, and also allows you to configure the S350 with touch screen controls on your mobile device instead of the front panel controls. Best of all, it’s free aside from the adapter cables you’ll need to connect your S350 to your device. https://web.casio.com/app/en/piano/

In addition to saving Registrations, you can also freeze certain parameters so they won’t be changed even when you pull up a new Registration with a different value for that parameter. For example, if you’re at 130 bpm and you freeze tempo, calling up a registration with a tempo of 90 bpm won’t affect your current tempo setting of 130 even if all the other unfrozen parameters change. This is useful if you want to change registrations in the middle of a track but you still want to keep certain parameters constant to preserve the continuity of your performance. Check out page 39 of the manual for a more detailed explanation of what you can and can’t freeze.

• Like 1

Tried this, but my ipad retina is too old for the app it seems. 

My wifes Kindle Fire tablet doesn't seem to have this app on the Kindle store. She'd probably kill me if I tried side loading all this. 

I'll probably get myself a Kindle and root the thing at some point. 

On 3/6/2019 at 11:51 PM, Brad Saucier said:

It should work fine if there is enough storage.  I'm running it on an iPad mini 2, no issues.  Maybe your iOS version needs updating?

Hi @Brad Saucier Nope. Unfortunately Chordana Play for piano needs iOS 11 at least and the iPad Retina 4 is stuck with iOS 10.3.3, and the iPad 3 (the first with the Retina screen) is stuck with iOS 9.3.5.

Hi @Pips you could try to find a second-hand iPAd Air 1st generation, they do run iOS 11 and have become very cheap these days.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TheRealMozart said:

Hello! I got the casio cdp s350 gifted for christmas and now i wanted to connect it to my windows computer. After i plugged in the midi connection cable in the computer port the system messaged me that the device is not migrated. What can i do?

That's probably more of a Windows issue.  You can type your error message into an internet search and find some thing's to try.  Probably just need to force Windows to reinstall the driver, or manually install it.  Casio pianos use a generic class compliant driver built into Windows, so no special drivers are needed.  If nothing helps, it might be a faulty USB cable.  

• 5 months later...
19 hours ago, perrylawrence said:

I have two related questions about using the s350 as a midi controller:

1. Does the pitch bend wheel send out midi data?
  2. Can the pitch bend wheel be reprogrammed as a mod wheel?

@perrylawrence I use a CDP-S350 as my controller with Logic. The pitch bend wheel can't be reprogrammed per se, but you can re-map the the pitch bend messages it sends to modulation (or any other parameter) in many DAWs. You might even be able to map your pitch up and pitch down messages to different parameters.

• 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...