Video Files on Forum ×

PX-760 Ringing Sound on Key

Hello,

I have a Casio piano that is a few years old, and one of the keys makes this slightly annoying metallic ringing sound when played loudly enough, and only with certain instruments, such as the concert/modern grand piano instrument but not with the electric piano.  The sound also doesn't happen when the piano is off.  I think it might be water damage or moisture, because I noticed this happening after I played piano after washing the dishes, and I don't think I dried my hands thoroughly. 

Any idea what part might need fixing and how to go about doing so?  I have blowed compressed air and nothing has changed.  I am open to the idea of opening up the keyboard but don't really want to mess anything else up.

I have attached a video.  It's on the "F" key.  It's not super noticeable in the video but it's present.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Just bought an AP-470 three weeks ago and I have the same problem with one of the D keys, only on the grand piano 1 and modern piano voices.  Is this just a defect, or is there some way it can be fixed.?  I don't recall it happening the first several times playing.  I tried resetting the piano, but didn't fix the issue.  

• 1 month later...

Just received an e-mail from Casio saying the metallic whining with my just one note is normal "harmonics" and "overtones."  This doesn't make any sense to me as I would think all of the notes would have those same sounds and not just the one note.  Disappointed in that response as it appears they are not willing to repair or correct this.  It makes the piano very annoying to play as that note clearly makes a distinct metallic whining noise that the other notes of the piano do not and no recourse to get this fixed.

Drew, can you attach a short audio clip in your post so we can hear what you hear?  I suspect it is normal as well.  

As a sampled instrument, sometimes the timbre of the notes will change from one key to the next.  This is a normal result of multi-sampling an instrument such as a piano.

Here is the sample I sent to Casio.  The note that makes the sound is D5.

If this is not broken, I'm wondering if you would have suggestions on how to mitigate that sound with that note.  If I can't figure something out, I am thinking I will just return the piano as that sound is all I hear every time I play that note, and it makes my experience not enjoyable at all.

I appreciate any suggestions you might have.  Thanks.

I keep this video around for this purpose, to demonstrate that Casio has closely captured the sound of a real Steinway Model D.  It's an excellent demonstration since Alan is playing single notes in the area which you're discussing.  Note the timbre is very similar.  All I can suggest is try heavier touch response settings, or other preset tones.  The concert grand is a powerful piano with wide dynamic range.  Playing lighter will lessen the brightness.   It takes some practice to stay under the brighter dynamics, only playing heavier when you want that brighter level of expression.  A saying I once heard has stuck with me.  It was said that you learn to control the instrument, rather than let the instrument control you.  

Thanks for the video.  I probably don't have a good enough ear to pick out the specific tones as I don't hear the sound with that video.  All I know is that I can hear a metallic ring in that one note on the piano I have.  I don't hear it with any of the other notes on the piano, so this one note just sticks out to me every time it is played.  I appreciate you offering suggestions.  I think I will return the piano as I don't think I can get past hearing that one sound while I play.  Thank you.