Video Files on Forum ×

Tutorial on how to play drums on a CT-X...?

vbdx66

Hi,

What strikes me on the four CT-X keyboards is the high quality of the drum kits. On the CT-X700/800, there are 45 (!) drum kits to choose from, all of them of outstanding sound quality.

When you see the demonstration videos, many of them show the demonstrators playing these drums on the keyboard, trying to mimic what a real drummer would do on real drums. This is kinda cool and it seems soooo easy, but when you try to do this on your own keyboard at home, it becomes pretty tricky!

Would anyone consider making a video tutorial such has “Drumming 101 on a CT-X Keyboard”?

For CT-X3000/5000 users, it would be a great help when creating rhythms from scratch or when recording a self-composed song on the 17 tracks sequencer.

For CT-X700/800 users, it could be cool to record a drum track on the 6-tracks sequencer. Actually, when playing back a song, the CT-X700/800 sequencer loops itself back to the beginning of the track, so it could be a cool way of making a rhythm backing track even though the CT-X700/800 doesn’t have a rhythm editor nor a pattern sequencer.

Just my two cents.

I think video tutorials available in YT are good enough to provide help on most of keyboards, because typical drum assignment is the same on various instruments (anyone correct me if I am wrong)

For example, this tutorial from Doctor Mix is good enough for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlk9s5gPgXY

The matter is to practice these tutorials long enough to play it good enough ;) Long way ahead of me in this skill.

Other thing is - when for example you are recording drum pattern for your style or song - you don't have to play all the drums together.

Usually I start with bass drum/snare and then add some hihats and other (pattern playing in loop, so I can add or remove drum notes).

Also, in CT-X5000 there are two parts for drums so you can divide drums for your comfort of playing and mixing...

• Thanks 1

Hi @Soundioxide and thanks for your input. The YouTube video links you provided make things somewhat clearer.

It is a good thing that drum voices assignment is almost the same on all keyboards, it certainly make things easier.

As I see, this skill of “finger drumming” first and foremost requires a lot of practice 😏

Lon the CT-X800 There is no rhythm creator as such, but I can always two tracks of the 6 tracks MIDI recorder if I need to make a more complex drumming pattern.

Regards.

• 6 months later...

There are people (groove monkee)  who design drum patterns for many different styles.  I asked him if he would do the smf extension.  If one of the sysops emailed him with more detail, he might work out rhythms for your keyboard.

https://groovemonkee.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwzozsBRCNARIsAEM9kBNbZIIWeGaebs200g06sp6Smxx3IjEeUCMj3C-kLBcbeS05gc8lMe8aAvbVEALw_wcB

He is basically a one man operation, although different drummers have helped build the drum midi loops.