Video Files on Forum ×

Changing Keybed feel and noise?

Casiokid

The added weights-will definitely not quiet anything down-the extra weight will effect the action-but without the spring-action of older keyboards, I am not too positive this will be a good idea for any of the Casios, several of which I have disassembled completely, including the XW-P1. And I am sure the extra key weight would definitely not respond too quickly but could wear the XW felt out pretty fast. Felt strips to stop noise are the way to go and the only mod my XW has ever needed-I've modified the PX350, PX575 and XW-P1 like this. Fortunately Chandler-the XW only needs the bottom strip to stop the keys from hitting hard on the downstroke. I haven't experienced any clunking or knocking from the key returning which is why one would need the felt strip on top. However, the Privias have 2 surfaces that can wear-both up and downstroke can get clunky with time and heavy playing-I have posts here in the PX350 section showing (somewhat) how I had to do this. The newer PX560 seems fine so far. The XW and this PSR look similarly constructed  as far as how the keys are assembled onto the XW frame. I did not need to take all the keys off to add a heavier felt strip underneath. I think I have pics of my XW in pieces here also, was awhile ago so don't remember. Not too difficult to take apart, but only if it is out of warranty and you are mechanically inclined.

After checking out the MZ-2000 video, I took another look at my PX560. If anybody else wants to check-I just realized the blue felt strip that sits between the case and the back of the keys-the strip that is visible from the front of the keyboard-is not even touching the back of the keys-there is a space-just  enough to create not so subtle clattering when the key snaps back when I play fast passages. Guess I have another mod to do! Thanks for posting this, I never noticed until now.

have to find someone selling blue felt strips... http://ftppianoforti.com/en/feltri-mollettoni-pelli/578-291-b.html

This is thick and is only 80 cm long and I think it's used internally on acoustic pianos to make the dampers.

http://ftppianoforti.com/en/69-feltro-per-guarnire

in this case what is the correct size? 15 or 40 mm Have you seen what is the original size in the casio?

I haven't checked dimensions yet-probably only 15mm wide as i recall from the last disassembly with the PX560-had to repair the 3 control knobs, so needed to take the top case off. As far as the thickness, it's pretty thin-probably only a 1/32", about 1-2mm. That is pretty typical for this type of felt.

No, I am not hinting at that, but since you mentioned.

CDP- is not interesting at all due to PX provides by far higher quality.

PX-S still does not exist. So I do not know where you've gotten your confidence that it is quieter. (way too early to say so)

Alright, I will check if it is available anywhere around me (What location is it?).

In the same on the Guitar Center website, it is still available only for PREORDER.

Just curious why there is no price tag for this unit?

Can you buy it or that'is the only available demo unit?

• Like 1

It had just been put out on the rack when I took this picture last week, the price tag hadn’t been printed yet. It is for sale, though, and there were other boxed units on the shelves. It was at all three of the Guitar Centers in my city as of last week, but I’m in the US. It might only be available for pre-order in your region at the moment, so I would call ahead before you drop by just to make sure it’s there.

I checked.

There were both of CDP S, and PX-S1000, no 3000.( same as picture above).

I asked staff whether they have S3000 .The answer was no.

The keybed is improved. It looks like both CDP-S and PX-S share the same type of a keyboard.

I payed attention to the noise when a key pressed down and after it’s released.

It is very good. I would say the noise the key makes iwhen reaches the down position is softer then other DP on the same shelf.

The noise the key makes on its way up is nothing close to how it was in older PX. Good.

CDP-S has  extended sustain time.I am not sure how long but definitely longer than 6 seconds:)

Interesting that there were no PXs.

• Like 1

The PX-S3000 isn't due out for about a month. The PX-S1000 is currently appearing in stores. Some stores have it out, some have it but haven't put it out, and others are still waiting for it. I would suggest that if you're interested in buying a PX-S1000 to ask the staff if they have it and then if so, they bring it out for you to try.

Mechanically, the CDP-S and the PX-S are very similar but I understand they're not identical. Also, how the keyboard responds differs between the two lines. The PX-S has "Smart Scaling" which reproduces the individual feel of each of the 88 keys, taking into account hammer size and weight, response time, and other factors.