Video Files on Forum ×

CT-X5000 and microphone issue

floralsumia

11 minutes ago, Jokeyman123 said:

This is a high impedance mike at 2000 ohms. Low impedance is typically 75 ohms or 600.  I think the cable solution as suggested by Brad and Chandler should solve the problem then, no need for the transformer.  

I really hope so. Thank you for your help

This is an unrelated question to the thread but i didnt want to make another thread for this. One of the keys is higher than the other keys on the keybed. Is this a problem? When i go to the music store to change the cable, i want to ask about this too if its a problem while the warranty is still valid.

20190405_135247.jpg

• Sad 1

Hi, I think is a problem esp. if this impedes you’re playing. Besides, this can be the sign that sooner or later, this key will break or become flimsy or unplayable.

Is this a C key, by any chance? I just sent back my CT-X800 for repair because it has two faulty keys, the C 4 and the C5.

I think there is a particular issue with the C keys because the keybed of the whole CT-X range is made in a fashion that the keys are attached by octaves, so the C keys are more bound to be problematic than others.

By all means, if your keyboard is still under warranty, don’t wait and send it back for repair as soon as possible. Mine was accepted by Casios repair facility in France (Nikken France), so I guess yours will be taken back for repair, too.

I insert a link to the other discussion thread, which is located in the CT-X700/800 forum. There, I embedded two short videos showing the problem with my keyboard; IMHO we are both facing the same issue:

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2019 at 3:24 PM, vbdx66 said:

Hi, I think is a problem esp. if this impedes you’re playing. Besides, this can be the sign that sooner or later, this key will break or become flimsy or unplayable.

Is this a C key, by any chance? I just sent back my CT-X800 for repair because it has two faulty keys, the C 4 and the C5.

I think there is a particular issue with the C keys because the keybed of the whole CT-X range is made in a fashion that the keys are attached by octaves, so the C keys are more bound to be problematic than others.

By all means, if your keyboard is still under warranty, don’t wait and send it back for repair as soon as possible. Mine was accepted by Casios repair facility in France (Nikken France), so I guess yours will be taken back for repair, too.

I insert a link to the other discussion thread, which is located in the CT-X700/800 forum. There, I embedded two short videos showing the problem with my keyboard; IMHO we are both facing the same issue:

Good luck.

Thank you for sharing your experience. It doesnt feel any different to the other keys as im playing for now, but its just been 2 weeks or so since i bought it. I will think about what you shared.

On 3/31/2019 at 9:31 PM, Brad Saucier said:

I think I see the problem now, written on that package. You have a TRS balanced to XLR cable.  The keyboard mic jack is an unbalanced jack.  Look for a TS unbalanced cable to XLR cable.  That should work.  I've seen another Casio user run into same issue recently and reported that a TS unbalanced cable fixed the issue.  

I have come to the music store again, and they say they dont have a TS unbalanced cable to the XLR and its really hard for me to find it. They recommended me to get the cable made by an electrician. But then they read the Ctx 5000's descriptions and they said mic jack is standard. So the cable i have now and the mic should work. Pretty bummed that i just cant know whats wrong :( Next time i came here, i ll bring my keyboard along as they suggested i guess.

• Sad 1

Hmm...seems to be 2 threads here. Answering floralsumia-I have this type of mike cable-look on eB****. I got these by buying a set of cheap wireless mikes a few years back-and the cables-unbalanced with a standard 2-connector 1/4" male plug on one end, and the 3-pin XLR on the other, which I though was pretty strange at the time.  think the vendor was trying to make it appear as a pro low-impedance mike setup when it was really a less expensive high impedance mike and cable. if I find an example, I'll post it. There is no need to get an electrician (!) to make a cable. Someone probably has a DIY on youtube showing how to make one. I forgot what your setup is originally-its in a different post-there are also all kinds of mike cable adapters, and you may need the transformer after all although Brad seems pretty sure this is a high impedance mike, and will work with the cable I've described above. 

On 4/13/2019 at 5:02 PM, floralsumia said:

I have come to the music store again, and they say they dont have a TS unbalanced cable to the XLR and its really hard for me to find it. They recommended me to get the cable made by an electrician. But then they read the Ctx 5000's descriptions and they said mic jack is standard. So the cable i have now and the mic should work. Pretty bummed that i just cant know whats wrong :( Next time i came here, i ll bring my keyboard along as they suggested i guess.

I have a Philips microphone that has a XLR to TS cable - SBC-MD650 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIOzzUKTyn8

Unfortunately isn't sold anymore. With a XLR-TRS I tried to use it with the XW-G1 i got  no signal. Using the original XLR-TS I got all working.

By the way, if the jack connector has an unscrewable cover you could cimply short the ring and sleeve pins. Some jacks have tiny screws just in case.

• Like 1

I am not allowed to post specific vendor's info, but I found quite a few inexpensive wireless mikes, 30-40.00 US dollars, some even less, similar to ones I bought years back, on ebalookey and Amazongie. These have one thing in common-are using a simple 2-conductor 1/4" plug (like a guitar patch cord) for the wireless receiver-and....these are all high impedance, should work with the Casio input. Mine also included the standard 2-connector 1/4" cable as i've described before-could use as a wired and wireless mike-same high impedance connection. Ithe microphone had a 3-prong XLR and cable-but the other end was a 2-connector, not 3 connector 1/4" male plug.  think i still have this setup-I'll check and try it with the XW-P1 audio in and post back. 

• 1 month later...

I just bought a Casio CT X-5000 last week and if it wasn't for what I had learned with my music studio setup with lots of MICs I might still be looking for a solution for a keyboard that wasn't responsive to anything I plugged into the mic input. Cutting to the chase all you need is a preamp. My Berringer U-Phoria UMC404HD interface uses an additional 48 volts as will as my InnoGear 18 volt mic booster. Yes, Casio could have included a special mic plus the additional preamp but it might have raised the price. I solvrd the problem in just a few hours, not to mention a 157 page manual. Anyway enjoy our new fun tech toy. I plan to keep this amazing instrument for a long long time.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi... the DGX660 is an average arranger and a beginner level piano combined: much of the better functionality for multi-track sequencing you get on a Tyros or Genos model (or even the old PSR7000, 8000, and 9000) won't be included, however, it should have a simple to use multi-track system that maybe enough for you.
Whether or not you like the UI (the casio UI is simpler), you'd have to determine by trial. The learning curve on a Yamaha arranger is easy for simple things, complex for the better functions.

prototype pcb