Video Files on Forum ×

PX560 Key repair

Jokeyman123

I just discovered, based upon an earlier post about Privia keys-why my PX560 was making a little more noise than it should on key return. I preface this by saying I'm not sure what caused the problem as I've had my PX560 apart anbd might be my doing, but here it is.

The blue felt strip visible from the front of the PX560 was intact, but it was not positioned low enough to touch the backs of the keys where it is designed to. Thus, my keys were bouncing back too much and making a clattering sound, not terrible but I knew it should have been quieter than this. My PX350 does not do this. By experimenting based upon another post here, I found that solving that problem made a tremendous difference in the key return noise. This must be done carefully, as only a very slight amount of additional felt I mounted over the blue felt strip solved this problem. If there is too much stopping the key from returning, it will defeat the full action and momentum of the keys. I also found rapid key repeats on a single key were now much improved, since the excessive amount of key return made it more difficult to achieve a faster action. I used only 1/16th inch of insulating type felt cut into narrow strips, fastened with double-sided (and very thin) rug tape. I am posting this as I am not sure all the PX560s are designed like this-there was a visible space between the key backs and the blue felt strip, and I'm sure this is not designed to function like that. I also managed to keep the added felt mostly invisible as it was gray , didn't want to spoil the appearance, but I did need to take the entire top cover of the PX560 off, with the appropriate screws on the bottom. Do not attempt this if you are under warranty and you have the same problem. I would recommend sending it back to Casio service if you need to effect this repair.  it is easy to detect-just check the space between the key back where these line up with the blue strip of felt. There should be no gap or spaces between. 

• Like 1

Ok, have you seen what the width of the original felt is?

There is a felt made for acoustic pianos that is blue either 15 or 40 mm wide

the thichness is 1mm, so I think I could tuck it from the outside without opening the case

http://ftppianoforti.com/it/feltri-mollettoni-pelli/614-297-a-blu.html

http://ftppianoforti.com/it/feltri-mollettoni-pelli/617-297-b-blu.html

The factory strip is not even 10mm, pretty narrow. I used a slightly wider strip to cover the exisiting felt and extend back a bit inside the case.  And yes, it is a very thin strip from the factory, just barely 1mm thick.. You might be able to tuck one strip definitely under the white keys, but it is pretty tight behind the black keys. Plus, if you use any kind of adhesive, it might not be possible to get it into such a tight spot although if you are careful you could but might get messy. I was also careful not to ruin the original strip, the extra thickness of that added to mine was just about what I needed. If you are depending on the felt adhering from being squeezed in above the keys, it could slip in under and inside the PX560, and would be very difficult to get out again. I thought it best to use the adhesive approach, to be sure it stays in position once in place. 

• 2 years later...

I had discovered this issue before coming across this thread. I performed a similar fix.  I play strictly through headphones due to being mostly in a common room where other people are (spouse) and the key noise has gotten progressively louder over time.  To the point that I was hearing it through my headphones.  The thumping wasn't so bad but the release noise bouncing clackity was getting worse. Especially across the broad middle of the keyboard high traffic area.  

I purchased these felts from Howard piano where I have picked up other piano supplies.  I already had a temperament strip and did a non glued test and that seemed to be the perfect thickness to rest firmly on the keys without pressing down on them. As I discovered that even a small amount of downward compression will alter impact of the top sensor which affects playability. The reason I bought 2 thicknesses is due to a discovery that the gap in the top cover where the blue felt is attached, is not a uniform width above the keys across the length of the keyboard.  It is thinner at the last 2" of either end causing a slight compression that I described. I used the thinner felt for the end keys hiding the transition behind the highest Bb.  I was unable to do that on the lower end so it shows a little (measure twice cut once). Not a big deal to me as I don't notice it to much but for anyone else doing this take note.   All three pieces were CAREFULLY attached with a thin line of contact cement to the blue felt by laying the red felt across the keys keeping it aligned to the back of the black keys, laying a bead of cement on the red felt, and then carefully lowering the top cover in place and gently pressing down. there is a short time to adjust the new felt before it becomes more solidly affixed.  

I did have to trim the width of the temperament strip to a more consistent 1/2" for the full length so it wouldn't interfere with the top cover screw mounts.  I left a reveal up to the back of the black keys.  I kind of like the look of the red against the blue. Reminds me of my '83 VW GTI dashboard.  This has made a big difference for me though there is still some wiggle room in the keys due to how they are looped around the action underneath.  I may investigate a fix for that in the future.

Name board felt .058" thick @ $2.95 U.S.

Temperament strip - 50" long and is tapered from 3/4" down to 1/2"  .125" thick @ $4.50 U.S.

Brian

full view.jpg

left end.jpg

right end.jpg