Video Files on Forum ×

XW keybed actions

I was just noticing in the Kountry Cuz video, his keyboard makes more "clack" noise than mine does. I wonder did I just luck out? In his review on Harmony Central Craig Anderton specifically said he liked the synth feel of the keyboard rather than just tolerating it; it has a bit of resistance (he compared it to a sponge) that he found enjoyable to play. I feel the same way about mine, whatever other issues I may have raised from time to time, keyboard feel has never been one of them. Since I originally bought it as a cheap controller I have kept it, and as I have learned its ins and outs (so to speak) my affection for it has grown. It certainly is a quirky beast. But I wonder, have different generations of the XW had different keybeds?

I doubt it-I've had mine completely disassembled due to the  clacking sound from my new XW-P1 and did  a simple modification to quiet the keys by adding more felt inside where Casio already had installed piano felt strips-I have it posted here somewhere from a few years back. There is simply not enough felt cushioning (piano felt style) under the keys to prevent this material from becoming compressed with normal playing (at least with my hamhock hands) and eventually hitting plastic to plastic. Only annoying to some-doesn't effect the action at all but I also found it impacted my fingers quite a bit when playing hard chords, etc. since there was no shock absorption as on a more thickly padded keybed surface internally. I play piano pretty regularly so this mod was important to me at least, I adjust from spring-action to piano action every day and tend to really feel keys bottoming out if the action isn't pretty solid. Helps prevent hand and finger injury.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

just aquired a XW. I'm sure the bright 'clicking' noise originates from the keys tapping against the inner plastic 'guidance' hinge. If the keys are hit from a lateral angle (from left or right), the click increases/disapperars. 

Edited by Vcombo