Video Files on Forum ×

Can't use keyboard using midi to usb

Hi, I'm having issues with my CTK-574. I can't use it with other music programs that support MIDI keyboards.

If I'm supposed to use drivers for it, then please send me a link to them. (though, I doubt they'll still be up. Because it's kinda old.)

And please, do not say that you have the same problem as me. I'm not trying to sound rude or anything, but why ask me if i'm asking for help too?

Anyways, thank you for reading this post. If you have any solutions to fix this, then please send them to me. Thanks! 😄

The CTK-574 is equipped with the old 5-pin-DIN MIDI-IN/OUT connections.  You can connect those to your computer with an adapter.  Just do a Google or Bing search on: "5 Pin DIN to USB MIDI adapter", and take your pick of suppliers, but it is best to stick to a reputable one.

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.mHUizm3y489o7ChzNhM1oAHaHa&w=100&h=105&c=8&rs=1&qlt=90&dpr=1.2&pid=3.1&rm=2

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.xNlQl543VAUFOBPjf84mqgAAAA&w=112&h=105&c=8&rs=1&qlt=90&dpr=1.2&pid=3.1&rm=2

If you go with the first type of device above, then the cables on the adapter are usually long enough, but if you go with the second type of device, you will need to supply your own MIDI cables between the keyboard and the adapter (not advisable).  By all means, purchase only an adapter with BOTH IN and OUT connections.  Do not purchase a money saving IN only or OUT only adapter.  They would be useless for what I think you want to do.

Most of the newer models do not require drivers, but if they do, they will come with the adapter, or the documentation that comes with the adapter will give a link to a download site.  The models at the lower end of the price range have a history of poor performance and reliability, especially with the newer versions of Windows (8/10).  You are best sticking to the $15 USD and up models.  There are also wireless models available, but I have had no experience with those, and so can not speak for their performance or reliability.  They are also at the top end of the price range, which might not be advisable for what you are trying to do.

The real trick to getting these devices up and running is knowing how to connect them.  The ports (connectors) on the adapter are labeled as what they are not what they connect to on the keyboard.  The IN connection on the adapter is an INPUT, so it connects to the MIDI OUT on the keyboard, and the OUT connection on the adapter is an OUTPUT, so it connects to the MIDI IN on the keyboard.  When you set up your software on your computer, you will need to select the adapter as your MIDI-IN/OUT device.

Bear in mind that everything discussed thus far is strictly MIDI.  The keyboard's MIDI ports and these adapters in no way support any type of audio data (sound) transmission.  If you are looking to connect your keyboard's audio output to your computer, then you need the necessary audio cables and audio adapters to connect your keyboard's PHONES output jack to your computer's MIC/LINE-IN jack - none of which requires any type of driver.  When making this type of connection, always start with the keyboard's volume control at minimumn and bring it up very slowly, so as not to overdriive and damage your computer's MIC/LINE-IN circuitry.

Good luck!

- T -