Video Files on Forum ×

While You See a Chance-Winwood

Jokeyman123

I saw the Stevie Winwood Quintet at Bethel Woods 2 years ago...what a thrill to hear all the old Traffic stuff tracks a some newer, but man can he cut it on the Hammond. And then came Steely Dan, before Walter Becker passed away got to hear him play all those famous Dan hooks! This Steve Winwood video isn't my favorite, but listen to the organ after the intro-textbook use of it, beautiful. He played all the tracks  on this album I recall, not a big deal now maybe but was  one of the first to do so with pop music. Not sure what keyboard he's playing but if anyone has any idea how he gets the synth lead into the song-I have it on the SY77 but that was done with FM and I had to go through my huge archive of SY77 sounds before I found it-and I have no idea how I might do this with the either the XW-P1 or PX560-any suggestions are welcome. Almost sounds like a clavinette sound but with sustain. Or some kind of pulse code modulated wave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j6g_uUhH2c

• 2 weeks later...

Following up on my own post-again! No help on this? Found an old column in Keyboard magazine-he used a Mulitmoog and another Keyboard mag writer used 2 narrow pwm oscillators set to less than 50%  slightly detuned for that very nasal sound, and a bit of resonance with a flat organ amp envelope. I haven't been able to get this sound yet with the XW-P1 or PX560 but if I nail it, I will upload it. It's a great sound which he used to play Motown type sax lines on some of his tunes-before we had sampled saxes on our keys.