Video Files on Forum ×

Synthetic sounding PX560M?

frama78

Hi Casios,

I just got my brand new PX560M today and to be honest, I´m dissapointed in terms of sound. I wanted to replace my old Yamaha P80 an thought, the Casio would kick off the P80. Well, good things first:

very good keybed and logic system navigation! Great looking and lot´s of usefull features! I really want to loke it !!!

Unfortunately, the sound has always something synthetic going on in the mid frequencies, especially on the piano sounds in comparison with my P80. Tried the Master EQ in different ways, but no success. Then, I tried it via the edit mode and found another issue. The touchscreen works not always the right way. Sometimes, It opens up, sometimes not. anyway. After some tries, it worked and by turning up the cutoff, It started to shine and I seemed to like it. Then, I went back to the P80 and it still sounds so much better then the 560.

I´m not saying it sounds bad. I just dont like it as it is. Am I too picky or does anyone else has the same issue (If it´s an issue at all!). If yes, how did you tweaked the sterile basic sound?

Frank

Geez, I've played everything-if the PX560 doesn't sound good to you, something's wrong with your settings! Luciano might have it. Listen with quality headphones-and compare to anything. I've A-B'd every top of the line stage and console piano there is-Kawai, Yamaha, Kurzweil, Nord, Korg and a few others. The PX 560 if not better, is as good as anything I've ever played as far as tonality, I stand by mine. and I learned on Steinways with my head stuck in the soundboards, my hearing is 100%. Not bragging, but...what did you say?? :hitt:

• Like 3

ah ah ah Jokeyman123 you are very nice ... I was not satisfied of the piano sound (octave just over central C) untill I read on the User's Manual that

when using external amplified speakers you have to turn off px560 internal speakers. It really works ... it sounds different ... much better.

Even at home yes I use external speakers connected to px560 line-outs and the piano sound is fine :-)

good music everyone from far Italy

• Like 1

just to clearify: my issues are only the acoustic piano sounds. They definitly sound wayyy better than my Triton, but my oly Yamaha sounds so much more natural.

As i said; I just dont like them. To me, they have something digital going on and the mids and sound a little unnatural compared to the P80 or even some of the Mainstage/Sampletank VSTis.

I have played all through the same speakers (Genelec 1029 with sub), headphones (K702 and JH-Audio JH5) and the internal speaker were turned off.

If YOU like them: Great and have fun with it👍

Too bad for me. Now, I´ll go for a Kawai MP7

MP7SE is here and the postal service damaged it ... I´m getting a little frustrated now.

I´ll give the PX one more chance. Since the one, I returend was already a "return-model", I think it maybe was one with modified settings. Maybe, I should have done a reset first...

Well. Now I have another 560 and his time, It sounds much(!!) better and I even could get it a little more transparent by messing arround with the 1,3kHz-Band! Very nice so far - I just have it for 2 houres 👍

But... I have a question: is there a way to reduce the sustain a little. To me, It would be much nicer, when the fade out would come in a little faster. Especially on the low notes.

I have already made a factory reset several times because it sounds and feels almost like some kind of compressing going on.  But again: we´re talking about flavours! The sound it self is fine and very dynamic!

Hello Frama. To get a shorter piano sustain if you know how to modify a tone you can do that with 560. It has the ability to design your own tones but you will have to study the px560 synth capabilities.

I would select your favorite piano tone, click edit and take it from there. You would need to study the "amp"-amplitude envelope shape being used-the edit screen will display that, and reduce the decay envelope-make it shorter, and you may want to experiment with the 'release' envelope-on the same screen. If you are not experienced in programming synth sounds you may have some studying to do! Once you modify the envelopes make sure you save the new piano tone in one of the user memory slots. Check some of the PX560 uploaded pianos although most of these have the same sustain. If this is beyond your programming "chops" let me know. I can work up a piano with shorter sustain and upload it here. I already have alot of tones uploaded in the px560 section including some stuff I tried duplicating from my CZ synths. And yes a bit of eq can really make a difference. The "early reflections" DSP seems to liven up the pianos also.

I've also had the thought-although hurts my head sometimes:hitt:

No digital can really have the full dynamic range of a true open grand piano imo because of the tremendous physical presence of a well-designed acoustic but then this is why a  good concert grand can cost as much as a house! All digitals sound compressed to me compared to a good grand which to my mind has something to do with-smacking huge steel strings with a massive key action attached to a giant soundboard and harp weighing around a ton oh well! And the Casio is pretty amazing for a digital. A good sound system  also can create a pretty remarkable soundfield with a digital though. And if you've ever tried to mic and record a grand piano-you will discover a new kind of pain!

On 5/31/2019 at 1:16 PM, frama78 said:

Hi Casios,

I just got my brand new PX560M today and to be honest, I´m dissapointed in terms of sound. I wanted to replace my old Yamaha P80 an thought, the Casio would kick off the P80. Well, good things first:

very good keybed and logic system navigation! Great looking and lot´s of usefull features! I really want to loke it !!!

Unfortunately, the sound has always something synthetic going on in the mid frequencies, especially on the piano sounds in comparison with my P80. Tried the Master EQ in different ways, but no success. Then, I tried it via the edit mode and found another issue. The touchscreen works not always the right way. Sometimes, It opens up, sometimes not. anyway. After some tries, it worked and by turning up the cutoff, It started to shine and I seemed to like it. Then, I went back to the P80 and it still sounds so much better then the 560.

I´m not saying it sounds bad. I just dont like it as it is. Am I too picky or does anyone else has the same issue (If it´s an issue at all!). If yes, how did you tweaked the sterile basic sound?

Frank

This sounds as common phenomena.

You just used to P80 sound that's all.

I went through this many times. 

It takes some time to adapt to a new tone.

• Like 1