Video Files on Forum ×

Sustain Problem on Casio CDP-S350

d_wood136

Hello! This is unusual lol. When I have the sustain pedal plugged in, the keyboard is sustained WITHOUT my foot on the pedal! Once I put my foot on the pedal, the sustain-ment stops! Very weird haha! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!

What brand of sustain pedal is this? Some sustain pedals are designed to have their polarity switched to the opposite of what the Casios need-not all manufacturers apparently use the same polarity although I don't know which manufacturers use the opposite polarity and ome of the Chinese-made pedals are the wrong polarity for the Casios.  I use sustain pedals with a little switch (no more expensive than any others) which can change the polarity from plus to minus. This type of pedal should solve your problem if you did not have the pedal pushed down when you switched the keyboard on. Or get a Casio sustain pedal or one that you know is compatible with Casios. Any vendor selling sustain pedals should be able to specify if this is so.

• 1 year later...

I have this same problem with my various pedals and the CDP-S350. It needs a "normally open" (aka "NO") pedal, but the simple, cheap Yamaha pedals (I can't find a model number on the one at hand) are "normally closed" (aka "NC"). 

The Yamaha units I've had have a built-in function that "looks" at the pedal when you first power the unit on, which assumes you are NOT pressing the pedal at startup, to detect whether it's an NO or NC pedal, and then Does The Right Thing after that. The CDP-S350 does not seem to be that smart, and it also does not have any menu function to let you change what it expects.

The CDP-S350 needs a "normally open" pedal, and that's that. (As people have mentioned above, some pedals have a switch that lets you select NC or NO. Get one of these.)

Rob in Seatttle

There have been some Casio models that auto-detect NO or NC on start up, but apparently the CDP-S series aren't one of them. 🤷‍♂️

I do not know if which models do and don't auto-detect NO/NC is documented anywhere. It might be like, "Privia models do, CDP models do not" but that's just a guess.