Video Files on Forum ×

WK-8000 looking for online tutorials

buduranus2

I haven't posted any video-there is some demo content on Youtube, I don't see tutorials but I have posted a few lengthy detailed operating instructions about the older PX575 I own, which I believe is almost identical to the WK8000 except the case and you can run off batteries, mine does not.  The mixer and song recorder functions are pretty tricky, but I've done alot of work with those, and I think the WK8000 also can connect to the IDES 4.0 software editor/controller which has some pretty powerful features and controls.

I can  help with any questions you might have, just post here. And even though I also own and play the newest PX560, I still love the old PX575, it is a very powerful and wonderful sounding instrument, especially considering how long ago it was released. I bet the WK8000 sounds the same, has the same sound-production tools and samples as the 575. I know I almost bought that one instead of the 575,  but these are hard to come by now and I found a 575 used and have not regretted it.

One other thing FYI...the WK8000 I think can use the same rhythm accompaniment files (CKF) as any of the other Casios that use and play these-not tones, only rhythms listed as CKF.  I have many posted here, which are mostly under the PX560 posting area for uploads, but also play on my PX575. Transfer these to your "musicdat" folder on your SD card which is automatically created if you format your SD card in the WK8000 and you will have a whole bunch of new (kind of specialized jazz, funk and fusion) rhythm accompaniments I have developed which I use for practice sessions when working on my keyboard/piano "chops". 

Thanks very much for your offer of assistance. I bought the WK-8000 for my basement rehearsal space. I was particularly interested in Casios of this vintage because of their drawbar organ tones, which suit the styles of music I'm playing. BTW, I'm not a keyboard player, just wanted to have something here just in case someone comes over. I think I got a reasonably good deal, $195 tax included with the particle board stand in good condition and a little sustain pedal (non-latching footswitch.) So whatever quirks it has are of little consequence. The first "undocumented feature I noticed was that, in drawbar organ mode, the highest five notes sound one octave lower than expected. Not a big deal because not too many players are going to play that high anyway. I tried a complete factory system reset which went fine but didn't cure the problem. So I'm guessing its a firmware bug – not sure. One thing that's a little more significant is that the piano voices play at a lower volume than the organ voices. Kind of annoying but easy enough to live with if I have to but would prefer to have the piano and organ voices play at equal volume. Lastly, for now anyway, is that the organ voices still exhibit very slight modulation effects even with the modulation wheel backed all the way off. So any insight or guidance you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

If the WK8000 has the same synthesizer programming capabilities as the PX575-you can remove the vibrato in the preset ound, and save it to one of the user memories for tones-there are a huge number of memory slots for tones in my PX575, and I have done this. You will have to edit the original tone, look for settings that add vibrato, i forget whether this is a DSP effect or built into the basic tone's settings. As far as unequal volumes, I haven' had that problem-some of my organ tones are lwer than the piano tones. I would have to study settings, but I think you can change the basic volume of a tone in the edit settings. I'll experiment with mine and see what I come up with. Might be the "amplitude" envelope in a tone which can be modifiedbut not sure this would solve the problem. As far as he octave shift, might be a limitation of the original samples-the way these are mapped when the original organ tone was created-if Casio did not program enough samples for the highest octave, they might have simply duplicated the last 5 notes using the samples from the lower octave-I'll have to check the 5757 to see if this is true. Good price, this is one of those rare Casios IMO that still stands up pretty well, sort of like the older MZ-2000 which I think had better control than these, and are very rare.