Video Files on Forum ×

Volume knob unresponsive

Tweebin

That's a weird one.

I didn't even know that the volume knob could be mapped.

I'm assuming you mean the big knob.

In my case, it controls the overall sound output.

I thought that was all it could do.

Do you hear any sound?

And the big knob does nothing?

Maybe take it back to the retailer and show the problem.

Try resetting the board first. It's in the Users Guide that came with it, on the last page but pasted here for convenience.

You can use the procedure below to return the Digital Piano’s stored data and settings to their initial factory defaults any time you want.

1. Hold down the [15] button until “[FUNCTION]” appears on the display.

2. Use the [10] < and [11] > buttons to display “SYSTEM” and then touch [12] ENTER.

3. Use the [10] < and [11] >  buttons to display “Factory Reset” and then touch [12] ENTER.This displays “Sure?”

4. To return the Digital Piano to its factory default settings, touch [11] +. To cancel this operation without changing settings, touch [10] .

• 1 year later...
22 minutes ago, Brad Saucier said:

To be clear, do you mean the large main volume knob?  Have you tried the factory reset procedure?  

Sorry Brad, yes the main Volume knob atop the deck, just right of the red Power button. I'm trying to find the system reset procedure you referred to in the manual here. 

Y'know I really hope there's a fix to this; I bought it from a friend who has since passed away, and as a disabled vet I don't have the $$ to spend freely! For a company like casio who has built an empire on their ability to excel in sound, its pretty ironic that the ability to control it doesn't work.

Still looking for reset procedure...

59 minutes ago, Brad Saucier said:

To be clear, do you mean the large main volume knob?  Have you tried the factory reset procedure?  

Okay I performed the factory reset as prescribed on page EN-118, it said "wait" while it reset, and when it was done there was no difference. 

I do not, but since it can be used for other things I'm not object to buying one. Are you certain that turning on other features to control the volume on other things isn't the problem, and that returning to the playing mode or whatever won't alleviate this? Lots of people are experiencing this as I comb the web.. volume pots don't generally go bad this quickly.  I bought it used but it was still in the box - evidently my friend used it twice before he unexpectedly passed away, and I watched two quick videos where the volume knob clearly worked...

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

The volume potentiometer most likely needs replacing. The stem that connects the knob to the circuit probably snapped.

I just replaced the one on my PX720, and I was flying blind on what would be a fitting replacement, since there wasn't any documentation. (I did have the service manual, though, but I can't find one for the PX 120) I determined that my volume control had a resistance of 5k ohms, so I got this part and it works fine: https://mou.sr/3IRilM0 . I CANNOT GUARANTEE that this will be the same as the PX120, but who knows.

You might be stuck with disassembling the piano to get to the volume control board, and then soldering a new potentiometer (with the same or similar resistance to the old one) where the old one was. There should be youtube videos of the disassembly process to help you. Alternatively if you can find a place that does circuit board repair, they might be able to offer some help.

In the meantime, you could get some computer speakers with their own volume control and connect them to the headphone jack. This was my solution for a few years.