Video Files on Forum ×

Casiotone CT-S Series as MIDI Controllers

I just got my hands on a new Casiotone CT-S200, and after some testing and tinkering, I've found that these cute little keyboards are solid options for anyone looking for a portable and highly affordable MIDI controller. The new action is fantastic, and I hope that this keybed finds its way into every 61-key offering from Casio moving forward. The keys themselves are just as big as those on the CT-X series, but the plastic they used on the CT-S models is a bit more "textured" and offers better grip overall. The travel is satisfying and the key noise is overall quieter than what I can remember from my fresh out of the box CT-X700. The CT-S200 I'm borrowing lacks velocity sensitive keys, so I've mostly been playing synth and organ sounds in my testing, but the springy and snappy response is great for grace notes and fast playing if that's what you're into. The build quality is great, and the rounded edges and bright colors are a welcome change from the more spartan look of the CTK-2550.

I hooked it up to the Casio CZ App on my iPad and was very pleased to discover that the Audio Input has almost no latency, meaning you can easily run the output of the iPad through the CT-S' 1/8" audio input and practice using the speakers very comfortably. This is likely because the CT-S series lacks any sort of Center Cancel or Audio Input effects features, meaning there's no need for a processing buffer. I recorded a short video demonstrating this for anyone curious. My iPad's headphone jack is connected to the audio input of the CT-S200, and the CT-S200's output jack is connected directly to the input of my camera. I have not made any edits to the audio recording whatsoever, and as you can see from the virtual keyboard display in the CZ app, it's lining up perfectly with my playing. Very cool!

Only the CT-S200's manual has been released publicly thus far, so I can't comment on the features of the other models yet, but I'll point out some things that I have discovered during my investigation of the MIDI functionality, which I have attached to this post. 

• The CT-S200's keyboard is not velocity sensitive during normal operation. However, by adjusting the "MIDI Out Velocity" option in the Function menu, you can specify a static velocity value between 0 and 127 to be transmitted from the keyboard to an external sound source. The default setting is a velocity of 64.
  • In the function menu, there's a dedicated setting for MIDI Out Octave shift that allows you to shift the MIDI output range up or down by +3 or -3 octaves. Once you've accessed this parameter, you can leave the menu Function open indefinitely and change the octave shift value as needed during a performance using the selection wheel or the context sensitive buttons below the LCD display. This does not affect the internal sound source.
  • Separate from the MIDI Out Octave shift is the keyboard's master transpose setting, allowing you to transpose up or down 12 semitones. Unlike the MIDI Octave shift, this setting affects only the internal sounds. In practice, this means that if you change the transpose setting to +1 and press the C key, the internal sound source will play a C#, but the note sent over MIDI output is still a C. Thus, if you're controlling an external sound source, that sound source must have the ability to transpose within its own settings. However, changing the transpose value does send out a system exclusive message of some kind.
  • The keyboard's master tuning setting also only affects the internal sounds and has no affect on the MIDI output or external sound sources connected by MIDI. Changing the setting does send a system exclusive message, however.
  • The MIDI channel setting is stored in RAM whenever you change it, so it will always be remembered even after you turn it off. The channel setting is not stored or recalled as part of the "My Setup" registration memory.
  • When you're on the home screen (tone selection menu), moving the selection wheel will send out Program Change and Bank select values on the MIDI channel specified in the Function menu. This can be used to select different tones or patches on an external sound source, which is convenient.
  • The accompaniment, rhythm, and song data is not sent out over MIDI. However, turning Local Control off will still disable these parts in the internal sound source.
  • Playing one of the built in songs disables all output of MIDI data from the keyboard, although you can still hear your keyboard playing over the song playback in the internal sounds.
  • None of the Dance mode parts or effects are transmitted through MIDI, but the section of the keyboard that is not used for controlling dance mode features will still send MIDI note data like normal.
  • The CT-S200 does not send MIDI clock or stop/start messages.

In an earlier topic on the Casiotones, @Shad0wfax astutely pointed out that the new Casiotones seem to be functionally quite similar to previous entry-level models in the CTK series, most notably the CTK-3500. After an investigation of the MIDI implementation on the CT-S200, there seems to be some notable differences in their MIDI capabilities. This leads me to believe that the CT-S200 is probably more closely related to the CTK-2550 under the hood, which would explain why some odd behavior is being observed with regards to the MIDI output (especially the weird disconnect between the internal transpose settings and the note values sent over the MIDI out). The CTK-2550 never had a proper MIDI connection, although it was able to connect to the Chordana app through an 1/8" audio cable to transmit note data for the MIDI player features. If the CT-S200 is using a similar chipset, then that would explain why the MIDI implementation has some weird quirks to it. Even so, the CT-S200 is still a perfectly serviceable MIDI controller in its own right, and considering it sells for only $10 more than the 2550 here in the US, the inclusion of USB-MIDI in any form still makes for a great deal.

With the velocity sensitive keys and pitch bend wheel, I agree with Shad0wfax that there's a good chance the CT-S300 will have similar functionality to the CTK-3500. As soon as the manual gets released and we can see the MIDI implementation, we'll know for sure, but the main thing I'm looking out for is the inclusion of MIDI clock and start/stop messages. Clock commands have been strangely absent from more recent Casio releases (the CT-X and PX-S series in particular), but the CTK-3500 had both. Fingers crossed that the CT-S300 has them too, but if not, it's really no big deal.

All in all, very impressed with the CT-S200 from what I've seen so far. The aim of this series, like the original Casiotones back in the 80s, was to provide instruments that are affordable, portable, and FUN for music makers of all skill levels, and the Casiotones have absolutely succeeded by those metrics. A scarce few nitpicks with the MIDI implementation shouldn't discourage anyone from picking one of these boards up. Hats off to Casio's engineers for designing some truly worthy successors to the original Casiotones! :applause:

CT-S200 MIDI Implementation.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Chandler, thank you so much for for detailed post. 

I am seriously considering adding the CT-S300 to my set up, both as a new sound source and also as a controller keyboard. However, from what I can see from the above, it cannot receive MIDI clock? That's disappointing, as I would like to sync its rhythms/ beats to my DAW. Same issue with my XW-PD1. I don't understand why Casio would leave this function off? Even my 1987 HT700 has MIDI clock sync!

• Like 1

The MIDI implementation for the CT-S300 has not yet been released, so I can’t say for sure. Given that the feature set on the S300 is quite similar to the CTK-3500 (which does have MIDI clock sync and commands) and we know that all of the new Casiotones are built on something closely related to the AHL chipset from the previous generation, it’s possible that the CT-S300 will have them too.

My hypothesis is that the CT-S200 is internally more similar to the CTK-2550, which also lacked velocity sensitive keys and had the same number of tones, rhythms, dance mode parts, etc. This model lacked a proper MIDI connection, and only interfaced with the Chordana Play app through the 1/8” audio connection on the back panel for basic stuff like note input in the app’s MIDI player. If the CT-S200 is using the CTK-2550’s hardware, then that would explain why some features are absent from the MIDI implementation, like the unusual behavior of the transpose setting, for example. The CTK-2550 never would have needed stuff like MIDI clock or transposable MIDI output, since it never really had MIDI to begin with. The 2550’s manual doesn’t even include a MIDI implementation chart whatsoever.

We can only cross our fingers and hope that the CT-S300 offers the same benefits of the CTK-3500 in terms of MIDI control. Unlike the CTK-2550, the 3500 was equipped with a proper USB-MIDI connection from the get go and the MIDI implementation reflects that. I agree that the absence of MIDI clock and sync is one of my main complaints with Casio’s design choices as of late; I’ve brought it up to Rich several times, but it’s always nice to see that others share my opinion. Your concerns are noted, and we’re fortunate to have Rich and Mike here on the forums to pass that feedback along to the main office in Tokyo.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Chandler Holloway said:

The MIDI implementation for the CT-S300 has not yet been released, so I can’t say for sure. Given that the feature set on the S300 is quite similar to the CTK-3500 (which does have MIDI clock sync and commands) and we know that all of the new Casiotones are built on something closely related to the AHL chipset from the previous generation, it’s possible that the CT-S300 will have them too.

My hypothesis is that the CT-S200 is internally more similar to the CTK-2550, which also lacked velocity sensitive keys and had the same number of tones, rhythms, dance mode parts, etc. This model lacked a proper MIDI connection, and only interfaced with the Chordana Play app through the 1/8” audio connection on the back panel for basic stuff like note input in the app’s MIDI player. If the CT-S200 is using the CTK-2550’s hardware, then that would explain why some features are absent from the MIDI implementation, like the unusual behavior of the transpose setting, for example. The CTK-2550 never would have needed stuff like MIDI clock or transposable MIDI output, since it never really had MIDI to begin with. The 2550’s manual doesn’t even include a MIDI implementation chart whatsoever.

We can only cross our fingers and hope that the CT-S300 offers the same benefits of the CTK-3500 in terms of MIDI control. Unlike the CTK-2550, the 3500 was equipped with a proper USB-MIDI connection from the get go and the MIDI implementation reflects that. I agree that the absence of MIDI clock and sync is one of my main complaints with Casio’s design choices as of late; I’ve brought it up to Rich several times, but it’s always nice to see that others share my opinion. Your concerns are noted, and we’re fortunate to have Rich and Mike here on the forums to pass that feedback along to the main office in Tokyo.

Thank you Chandler for the detailed response and hypothesis, it's much appreciated.

I do hope very much that the CT-S200 uses slightly different internals to the CT-S300 and LK-S250, certainly when it comes to MIDI functionality. However, I do note that all three of these new Casio models all have the same number of tones and rhythms, plus 10 types of reverb. The differences lie in the LK's lighting keys and the S300's velocity keys and pitch bender over the more basic S200 that lacks these features. All three have USB B connectivity, which according to the Casio Asia website, is used to connect to the Chordana  Play app. However, I do also note that the CTS-S100 model, that doesn't seem to be offered to the US market, has less tones and rhythms (also no LCD screen), and though it has USB connectivity it mentions no option to connect to Chordana play. I wonder if that is the model based on the CTK-2550?

Here's the specs of the CT-S100:

https://www.casio-intl.com/asia/en/emi/products/cts100/spec/

The specs of the CT-S200:

https://www.casio-intl.com/asia/en/emi/products/cts200/spec/

And the specs of the CT-S300

https://www.casio-intl.com/asia/en/emi/products/cts300/spec/

Also note that the Chordana app connects to the CT-S200, CT-S300 and LK-S250 via USB, whereas the CT-S100 is not supported at all:

https://web.casio.com/app/en/play/top.html

Connecting a musical instrument to your smart device

● Supported CASIO Keyboard models
CT-S200, CT-S300, LK-S250

● What is needed for connecting and the connection method used
See here for more details on connections.

・Do not connect a USB cable and audio cable to the smart device at the same time.
・Set the connected smart device to a mode that prevents mobile data communication, such as In-Flight mode.

Meanwhile, the older LK and CTK models can only connect via audio out (as mentioned):

Keyboard link

● Supported CASIO Keyboard models
LK-265, LK-266, CTK-2500, CTK-2550, and CTK-3500

● Stereo mini to stereo mini cable required.

The keyboard link function enables you to use an audio cable to send melody and chord data along with the audio playback. Use the keyboard's light-up function and practice step-up lessons directly on the keyboard itself. The function has two modes.

Another point of note is that the CT-S200/ 300 and LK-S250 are GM-1 MIDI compliant, whereas the CT-S100 there is no mention of GM-1 MIDI compliance at all. Yet the MIDI implementation of the CT-S200 that are posted above shows MIDI clock/ sync functions as unavailable, and seeing as how its sound engine is so similar to the S300 and LK-S250, it makes me wonder if they too will lack MIDI clock and SYNC.

If all the new Casiotones lack MIDI clock, I'll be honest and say that is a rather inexcusable omittance in this day and age for an electronic musical instrument that is otherwise MIDI compliant. The XW-PD1 suffered because of this, and I recall the reactions of people on a number of other forums who were seriously considering one for all it's features and capabilities, only to jaw drop at the lack of any MIDI clock sync. For a device that could act as a programmable drum machine/ sequencer, the lack of any way to sync it to other devices or a DAW killed its sales to many who would otherwise have bought it. Any modern musical device that produces drums/ rhythms in this day and age should be able to sync with a MIDI master clock. To offer other levels of MIDI functionality (GM-1) but to then leave clock off makes no sense at all to me. I can only hope that just maybe the MIDI Implementation Chart above is incorrectly labeled and is meant for the CT-S100 model, not the CT-S200. In which case, Chandler's theory that it is based on a lower CTK model than the other new Casiotone models gives us more hope that just maybe they will get clock sync.

I really want to like the new Casiotones, and their specs are otherwise really good. The CT-S300 is almost a dead cert for me to add to my rig, but I'm seriously having to think twice if there is no way of syncing it to my DAW. C'mon Casio - GIVE US MIDI CLOCK!

17 hours ago, Chas said:

However, I do also note that the CTS-S100 model, that doesn't seem to be offered to the US market, has less tones and rhythms (also no LCD screen), and though it has USB connectivity it mentions no option to connect to Chordana play. I wonder if that is the model based on the CTK-2550?

I am certain that the CT-S100 can still work with Chordana Play for Piano, the omission of any mention of its compatibility is likely to be an error in marketing. The CT-S100 is barely even marketed at all in the US and has scarcely been mentioned in any of the international marketing for the other Casiotone models, which would probably explain why the product info is relatively incomplete right now.

The Chordana Play app will work with any Class Compliant USB-MIDI device, not just the models they specifically have listed on the app info page. Casio has been fully committed to Class Compliant USB-MIDI since 2013 so I am 100% confident that the CT-S100 is also Class Compliant and will therefore work with Chordana Play just fine. It is odd that the product page doesn't mention this, but I can assure you it is an error. The international pages have been notoriously less consistent than their counterparts on the US CasioMusicGear site in the past, it seems this trend is (unfortunately) continuing.

17 hours ago, Chas said:

I do hope very much that the CT-S200 uses slightly different internals to the CT-S300 and LK-S250, certainly when it comes to MIDI functionality. However, I do note that all three of these new Casio models all have the same number of tones and rhythms, plus 10 types of reverb. The differences lie in the LK's lighting keys and the S300's velocity keys and pitch bender over the more basic S200 that lacks these features. All three have USB B connectivity, which according to the Casio Asia website, is used to connect to the Chordana  Play app.

Yes, it is true that the CT-S200, the CT-S300, the LK-S250, and the CTK-2550 all have the same set of 400 tones, 77 Rhythms, 60 preset songs and 10 Reverb effects. Closer inspection of the CT-S200’s manual reveals that the tone lists of the CTK-2550 and the CT-S200 are identical between the two models, even down to the Program Change and bank select values associated with each individual tone (side note, it’s weird that the CTK-2550 even lists the Program Change and Bank select MIDI values of the tones when it has no proper MIDI capabilities).

This is what lead me to conclude that the new Casiotones use some iteration of the AHL chipset and samples, even if Casio chose not to mention this in their official marketing. This is not unprecedented in recent history; for example, the CDP-S350 was an AiX board in all but name as confirmed by Mike here on the forums, but Casio HQ in Tokyo chose not to advertise it as an AiX board despite the fact that the new high quality AiX tones have been unilaterally praised by industry critics and consumers alike. The CDP-S350 is more or less a CT-X800 in an 88-key digital piano form factor, but you would never know that unless you poked around here on the forums.

However, if you look at the CTK-3500’s specifications, you will note some similarities between it and the CT-S300 as well as some differences, just like when you compare the CT-S300 to the CTK-2550. The main differences I can see are that the CTK-3500 has 100 Rhythms compared to the S300’s 77, adds the Virtual Hall effect, and adds 10 User song slots to the 60 Preset songs. However, after closer inspection of the specs pages and the CTK-3500’s manual, I am reconsidering my initial hypothesis. While I still contend that the CT-S200 is very closely related to the CTK-2550 internally, perhaps it is more likely that the CT-S300 is just a CT-S200 with added velocity sensitive keys and pitch bend wheel than it is that the CT-S300 is a revision of the CTK-3500 that removes features like the Virtual Hall, MIDI clock messages, and the User song slots.

We won’t know for sure what the MIDI implementation will look like until the manual comes out, so at present, this is all only speculation.

17 hours ago, Chas said:

Any modern musical device that produces drums/ rhythms in this day and age should be able to sync with a MIDI master clock.

I’m afraid that you would be out of luck in that regard even if the CT-S300 does end up taking after the CTK-3500 in terms of MIDI implementation. If you check the CTK-3500’s manual I linked above, the last two pages are the midi implementation chart. As you can see, the CTK-3500 can only send MIDI clock pulses and start/stop commands, not receive them. If you were hoping to use your DAW as a master clock source to start and sync the CT-S or CTK model’s internal drum rhythms, that would be impossible regardless. The CTK-3500 can only serve as the MIDI clock master for other devices, not be slaved to the MIDI clock of other clock sources.

17 hours ago, Chas said:

I can only hope that just maybe the MIDI Implementation Chart above is incorrectly labeled and is meant for the CT-S100 model, not the CT-S200. In which case, Chandler's theory that it is based on a lower CTK model than the other new Casiotone models gives us more hope that just maybe they will get clock sync.

In my testing of the CT-S200’s MIDI capabilities thus far, I have found nothing that leads me to believe that the chart I attached in my initial post in this thread was erroneous or mislabeled. The CT-S200 does not send clock messages or start/stop commands when the Play button is pressed, whether the keyboard is in Song mode, Rhythm mode, or Dance music mode.

• Thanks 1

Thanks again Chandler for such a detailed post. It really helps to hear the technical aspects of what is going on with these new Casiotones and related models.

I admit, that I am relatively basic when it comes to using MIDI. I use it at its simplest, simply so that I can record via DAW in a multi-track style (record one track at a time, with no program changes). For instance, I would build a song by starting with the drum/ rhythm part. As my DAW would be the "Master", I would set my MIDI device with the "drums" to "Slave", for the simple reason of having it sync with the tempo in the DAW. This would allow me to control the tempo from the DAW, and also allow me to add/ use any other MIDI music device or music parts that produced beats/ rhythms and have them sync perfectly in time during recording as well. I did this recently with my Casio XW-G1 when recording my "Casio B. Meowsic" song (granted that the XW-G1 is aimed at the pro/ semi pro market so this is a feature that is mandatory at this level). I would set the XW to "slave" and then record the arpeggiated bass part, and then record on another pass the drum parts in sync with the DAW master clock. That, is simply it. Wanting the MIDI device to be perfectly in sync with the tempo during recording.

As mentioned, I did something similar with my Casio HT700 that uses MIDI DIN connectors. This is a "home" Casio keyboard from over 3 decades ago (1987) that could sync to a master MIDI clock. Am I missing something or is there an issue with USB MIDI? Why is it that a 3+ decade old Casio keyboard can sync via MIDI DIN but some brand new Casio(tones) can't via MIDI USB? Is there some restriction in USB MIDI? (Sorry for all the questions!)

I would even be happy if the new Casiotones could only output MIDI clock. At least then I would have a work around and could initially record the drums and have the DAW sync to the Casiotone. Once that was done, I would have the BPM set in the DAW, and any other MIDI device could then slave to the DAW and be in perfect sync.  

It seems that the only way of doing this without clock or sync, is to record the drum beat audio into the DAW, and then use the DAW tools to work out the exact BPM/ tempo. Either that or sample/ make loops of the rhythms, which kind of defeats the point of having a standalone unit in the first place. 

Please note that this is NOT me bashing Casio. I am a big supporter of Casio/ Casiotones and have a large collection of them. I saw the new Casiotones and loved the whole concept and nod to the original Casiotone 201 (that I have in my collection!) and other early Casiotones. I am in the market for a nice compact 5 octave controller keyboard, and they seem to have almost everything I need to achieve that, including some decent sounds and rhythms that could easily be a sole sound source to construct a complete song and record it into a multi track. I'm just frustrated that they may lack the very same feature that pretty much killed the reputation of the XW-PD1, and I cannot understand why Casio would keep on leaving this feature out on some MIDI USB Casio models. I'm probably going to still get the CT-S300 anyway as I'm currently using a Casio HZ-600 as a controller keyboard, which has a slightly larger footprint, no velocity, plus the annoying APO feature that means it keeps shutting off when not in use (and this feature can't be disabled on this model - grrr!) The new Casiotones are a really nice design and still have a lot to offer me, but if we can get word to Casio that they really should include basic MIDI clock in all their new USB MIDI equipped models, then I for one will be a very happy bunny!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Chandler. 👍

Read both the manuals, and damn, no MIDI clock for either of those models 😔

I'm almost certain to pick up the CT-S300 model though, as it still offers a lot and can be useful as a compact MIDI controller keyboard.

Two questions - it appears that only the one patch, Stereo Grand Piano, is actually stereo. I'm assuming that all other patches are mono? Does the reverb effect operate in stereo though? Looks to be a fun keyboard nonetheless!

Also, can the buttons be assigned CC MIDI values? As the CT-S300 has no mod wheel, I would still like to be able to trigger modulation via a button. Would that be possible?

I was only borrowing my CT-S200 so I no longer have it for testing. The Reverb effects are in stereo from what I can remember. I didn’t really listen to the other tones closely enough to determine if they were stereo or not.

Pressing the panel sustain button sends a MIDI CC value for release time; 120 out of 127 when it’s “on” and 64 out of 127 when it’s off. If you’re planning to use it with Local Control off to trigger external sounds, you could use these MIDI CC values to enable and disable modulation effects in your DAW. It would take a custom MIDI filter to accomplish this, however, but most full featured DAWs can handle it no problem.

Also, the tuning and transpose settings send sysex messages with some interesting behavior that might be useful. With every click of the selection wheel, a new tuning/transpose sysex message is sent. This is even true if you scroll all the way to the maximum or minimum range of the setting and keep moving the wheel in that same direction; once you hit the min or the max range, the messages will be identical, but duplicate messages still appear every time it clicks. Filtering sysex messages into MIDI CC commands might be tricky, but if you set it up with the right “rules”, you could turn the tuning and transpose settings into assignable CC knobs.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all -  I’m looking to buy an LK-S250 tomorrow and am interested to understand connection options. 

Can anyone confirm whether the iPad sees the Casiotone keyboard as an audio interface when connected via the lightning-USB connection?

In other words, if I want to use the keyboard with local control off to play a synth app on the iPad, can I route the audio from the iPad back to the Casiotone speakers via that interface - or do I need to also use a 1/8” mini jack from the iPads headphone output? Casio seem to say not to connect both at once - but aren’t particularly clear why. 

Thanks for any help you can offer. 

Cheers from Oz

Robert

The USB connection is for MIDI only, not audio.  This applies to all current Casio products.  For audio, you'll need to use the headphone output. It's possible that a USB cable and analog audio cable connection used together can cause USB ground loop noise.  This is the only reason against using both at once.  It's possible to isolate noise with noise isolation devices if the issue arises.  

• 6 months later...

Hello,

Just picked up the CTS-300 and I'm finding that although it's velocity sensitive when playing as a regular keyboard, it does not seem velocity sensitive when used as a midi-controller.  Can anyone confirm this?  If so, disappointing but a fun keyboard nonetheless. 

Update- nevermind.. got it.  There's a MIDIoutvelocity setting and I needed to make sure it was turned to "off" instead of one of the numbers. 

Edited by Luke02018
figured it out
  • Like 2

On 6/25/2020 at 12:57 PM, Luke02018 said:

Hello,

Just picked up the CTS-300 and I'm finding that although it's velocity sensitive when playing as a regular keyboard, it does not seem velocity sensitive when used as a midi-controller.  Can anyone confirm this?  If so, disappointing but a fun keyboard nonetheless. 

Update- nevermind.. got it.  There's a MIDIoutvelocity setting and I needed to make sure it was turned to "off" instead of one of the numbers. 

Glad you got it worked out Luke 👍

I've used by CT-S300 with my DAW and VSTi instruments and the velocity worked great. As you said, ensure the MIDIoutvelocity setting is set correctly and all will work fine.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes, the CT-S models will work as MIDI controllers for GarageBand. They'll work with any iOS or Mac OS X software that supports Class Compliant USB-MIDI. I would highly recommend going with the CT-S300 for MIDI control purposes because it has velocity sensitive keys (the S200 does not).

Just make sure you have the right cables to hook up to your device and you'll be good to go, no drivers needed. If you're using GarageBand on an Apple computer (OS X), you'll only need a Micro-USB data cable. Lots of USB accessories use these, you very likely already have one around the house somewhere. Just make sure it can transfer data and not just power (white USB cables are usually power only unless stated otherwise).

1412596894_microusbdatacable.png.35188cf90ea8be8b57d6e742de2c75c1.png

If you're connecting to GarageBand for iOS (on an iPhone or iPad), you'll need that Micro-USB data cable and  a Lightning to USB adapter so you can connect full sized USB devices to your phone/tablet's Lightning port.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Hi All,

I’ve been reading above and whilst predominantly well over my head, it sounds like the thread to help me. 

I have the CT-S100 and I am simply trying to connect to iOS app ‘SimplyPiano’ through the USB midi for recognition purposes. I am hoping to do so as the audio recognition on the app is not very accurate which isn’t helping my very very basic learning. 

The keyboard is not being detected when plugged in and the app operates as if no connection exists. 

Minimal info available as most articles say it should be relatively plug and play. 

Any thoughts or support appreciated. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello jjones.... did that work?  I am using a similar black cable with the micro USB to regular USB and then plugging in my Samsung USB to my phone... on the simply piano app in settings it says MIDI not detected (or something like that)

airlyons@live.ca