Video Files on Forum ×

Trying to connect CTK-900 to Macbook Pro

Emily

Hi! I just bought a midi-usb cable for my old CTK-900 keyboard so that I can record into garabeband with it (I have a 2018 Macbook Pro). This is actually the second cable I've purchased, so I know it's not a faulty cable. Both have had the exact same problem; when I play, only some of the keys are detected. It's not even the same keys every time, either. It seems pretty random which notes it decides to pick up at that moment. It probably detects less than half the notes I play. Also, some notes get indefinitely sustained once I press them. Any idea why this might be happening or how I can fix this? I thought MIDI recording was pretty much plug & play but it sounds like there may be some software/setup that I'm missing.

Emily

Forum rules prevent us from recommending specific brand names.  As for these USB-MIDI Adapter cables, I used to recommend at least $15 USD for a minimally reliable unit, but that was some years ago, with older, slower, more tolerant operating systems (Windows XP and Win-7 and equivalent versions of MAC-OS), as well as older, slower hardware designs.  In today's environment, I would recommend an investment of not less than $40 to $50 USD for a reliable adapter cable.  This is particularly important if your computer is running Windows 10, or the last couple of releases of MAC-OS.  Since you have a fairly recent MACBook, you may be running into a hardware issue.  If your unit is one that has both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports, use a USB 2.0 port.  Many current USB-MIDI Adapters were designed to USB 2.0 specs, and may have problems working with a USB 3.0 port.  Yes! They "should" work OK, but the fact is, a lot of them don't.  If your MACBook is one that has only USB-3.0 ports, and you continue to have problems, you may need to find an adapter cable that was specifically designed to USB 3.0 specs, but I think you will find that those higher priced "reputable" brands, that Brad has recommended, have already been updated to the latest specs.

Best of luck!

- T -