Video Files on Forum ×

River Rock- Johnny and the Hurricanes

I love these old instrumentalsRiverRock.mp3 from the 50s. Thought this might be kind of fun. done on PX560, rendered to mp3 using Audacity. Recorded all tracks live-through one pass-then re-recorded with audio recorder. Took Brad's advice for growling sax, using a bit of ring modulation, still having a little trouble getting the effect to be more prominent with midi recorder, still not sure why, DSP a little complex for me on this board, but the ring mod effect is really nice played as a solo line with sax. I used tenor sax and Saxys, plus a modded organ tone, modded standard drum kit, acoustic bass-original was probably Fender but wanted to keep it fairly muted so used acoustic tone. Clean guitar for comps in background. Missing is the 12-bar guitar solo which I will record live. Thought might be good to post this work in progress. No quantizing, tried to keep a slightly "loose" feel to this although the original track is pretty tight. Little too much reverb-Audacity seemed to bring it out more when I normalized the total arrangement, sounded much less so from PX560.

So much excellent music from so many periods, just in my lifetime alone. Just watched interesting special about Laurel Canyon musicians-eesh, so much good classic and new-overwhelming in 2019. Will work on a few more of the lesser-known instrumentals-very heavy guitar with Beach Boys, Dick Dale, Jan And Dean, the Ventures and others I can't remember right now. Apache, Pipeline, Green Onions-trying to recall some of the older classic instrumentals-just to demo what can be done with the newer Casio boards. And some guitar chops I don't really have!  Classic photo from this Netflix special-Brian Wilson's grand piano sitting in his room-with sand all over the floor, like the beach. Don't laugh-he was writing "Pet Sounds" like this...