Video Files on Forum ×

Voice layer crossfade with expression pedal

FWBeck

This pertains to MZ-X500 and PX-560M as they share a very similar control interface, but possibly also other CASIO keyboards.

I have an analog pedal on Pedal 2 and the pedal configured to control the Expression parameter for Upper 2 and Lower 2 from min 0 to max 127. This works quite nicely to bring in the second layers gradually.

At the same time I would also like to fade out the Upper 1 and Lower 1 layers, so that at the pedal's mid point is where all layers play full. My attempt at this was to use the config "2" of the Pedal Edit to control the Expression parameter for Upper 1 and Lower 1 from min 127 to max 0. This achieves to a degree what I want, but both configurations work linear across the pedal's range, and the mid point (Expression approx. 63 on each layer) has overall lower volume than at the pedal end points where each layer has 127 or 0 expression, respectively.

I can limit the range of the expression parameter to not start at 0, but that just means I can't mute the layer completely at 0 or full pedal. Is there a way to make a pedal edit to where the expression parameter stays at 127 from 0 pedal to about half way and then go linear 127 to 0 from mid-pedal to full pedal? And of course the opposite for the pedal's configuration 2? I would expect this would give the proper overall volume across the pedal's range but I can't figure out where I might be able to set this curve up. Any ideas?

6 hours ago, FWBeck said:

Is there a way to make a pedal edit to where the expression parameter stays at 127 from 0 pedal to about half way and then go linear 127 to 0 from mid-pedal to full pedal? And of course the opposite for the pedal's configuration 2?

It's not possible to set it that way.  If it was possible, it would be a split fade.    

Pedal Range:  Min ____1/4______Mid_____3/4______Max

Target 1:            0______64_______127_____127_____127

Target 2:          127____127______127______64______0