Video Files on Forum ×

Telstar-1963 Ventures

This was originally recorded by the Tornados in 1962, was a big hit-written by Joe Meek. I have the original Ventures vinyl which came out a year later in the US, and included their version. No quantizing, only made it worse. I played all parts live in one take through-had to redo parts but recorded each track from beginning to end. Sometimes the simplest sounding parts are worst-the hi-hat was the hardest, and around measure 41-42 you will hear a bit of trouble with my timing but was actually the robotic bass-line.  Amazing they did this with no computers, sequencers-I wonder how they got each part exactly on. All tones are from the PX560, used only the song recorder, no software editing. Organ was layered, recorded on master track. Used internal leslie on/off for organ track. Standard drum kit, acoustic bass. Clean guitar for solo in middle section with harp. Tried to nail a rhythm guitar track like the original but was too fast for my guitar chops. In key of A Major and D Major modulation for last section, as the original Ventures version.

Telstar.mp3

• Like 3

One of the 45 of my childhood was this Italian cover by Piero Umiliani. Still have the vynil somewhere.

Besides I think that at the time all the musician played toegheter in the same studio and they got directly the stereo mix on 2-track or 4-track. If you listen to the original song you'll notice that sometimes they  haven't a stedy tempo, like all live music played without a click or a metronome.

Totally cool, Jokeyman, 👍! The guitar and harp are fantastic. My mom says this is one of her favorite tunes. It used to play in the skating rink she went to a gazillion years ago. Not surprising you couldn't emulate the original intro and outro, that's one of the strangest things I've ever heard to this day!

Good job, Jokeyman!!

I, too, remember this song from the early 60s.....done by the Tornados...I loved it. I had the 45 of it and the 33 1/3 LP of the Ventures doing it as well. I loved the ventures. Do you recall the song Outer Limits? Can you play it? :) I guarantee I can't!

RickyLee

I used to watch Outer Limits, scared me as a kid! I'll work on a cover version as soon as I can. working on a few more instrumental covers from older tracks-again just to show what the PX560 can do, I find the sequencer a little easier than my ctk6200 and PX350. The 560 is much more powerful for multitracking arrangements.

Outer Limits-the original opening is a little too broken up to do a coherent composition-the original sounds like a combination of vibraphones, strings, brass and heterodyning sounds that can be done with sine waves. HOWEVER!!!!!.................

You inspired me to look ....One Step Beyond!.....I recalled this wacky song from years back...found it on Youtube..of course..and there it was by "Madness". Now that might be a good one to try to cover with the PX560-another almost 1950s sound to this track-except the ending which sounds pretty challenging. 

I've gotten some amazingly bizarre sounds from my SY77 with years of programming under my belt..but the PX560 will take some work for some of the more extreme FM science fiction sounds I have programmed for the SY77. some of those are so frightening and bizarre....i can only work on these for 10-15 minutes before I need therapy and my "safe place" with my blanky and teddy bear! But you might hear a track or two from that monster if I can't get it on the PX560. I'm snowed in now, so might be a good project for a few hours...or days depending.

:hitt:

• 1 year later...