Video Files on Forum ×

What sound bank is closest to a Rhodes!

Maj !

Like judging sound quality, judging sound timbre can be quite subjective.  What sounds good to one person, may sound horrible to another, and what sounds like a Rhodes to one person may sound more like a sick Wurly in need of repair to another.  So, it is probably best to be your own judge. The WK-245 only has 32 EP's to begin with, and the last 7 of those are Clavis that you can dismiss out-of-hand.  So, pull up a bench and start auditioning things for yourself.  Most (all ?) of the "tined" keyboards (Wurly, Rhodes, etc.) had a characteristic "bark" when you really got on the keys hard.  Obviously, any Roland "ROMpler" workstation I ever owned emulated this very well, but try as I may, I was never very successful at extracting much of a "bark" from my CTK-6000/7000 or WK-7500, and if I remember correctly, my WK-225 suffered from the same malady.  So even if you find the correct tone, you may still be in for a bit of a disappointment.

If you need some help, here are some example Rhodes effects, but the classic Rhodes sound is still there.

http://www.fenderrhodes.com/history/effects.html

Good luck!

- T -

• Thanks 1

Listen to Donald Fagen with Steely Dan to hear that characteristic Fender Rhodes "suitcase" sound. He has played one for decades, I saw him playing it at Bethel Woods just 2 years ago, he sits up front with it. He also likes to use alot of phase shifting to get that characteristic Rhodes sound that is his signature, when he's not playing a grand piano on tracks. Listen to "Chain Lightning". Here it is, listen to that great solo towards the end of the track.

Chain Lightning.mp3

• Thanks 1

T and Jokey,

Many thanks.

We have a Rhodes in the studio and it’s great when it works but last session something happened to the output jack. And then the keys are getting noisy as would with degrading electronics fifty years old.

I saw the quick and dirty Yamaha Reface CP and I could use that and it’s cheaper than fixing the Rhodes which would have an overhaul cost more than the electric piano itself. I would use the Yamaha Reface CP live if I got one and just set that puppy on top of my incoming CT-X or my wife’s WK or CTK.

That all being said one expensive piano DAW sound module I saw actually engineered clacky keys and 50 year old failing electronics into the sound of a Rhodes software sound.

It’s not unlike Seymour Duncan’s Antiquity Telecaster pickups that are especially degraded in output with extra emphasis on a vintage 60 cycle hum. They sound close to my old ‘65 Telecaster that was functionally useless in many modern  situations as it started sounding like many do like a cheap 60s Sears Roebuck Guitar. And yes, some guitarists would give and arm and a leg to get that sound much like some keyboard players get excited by broken Rhodes’ sounds. But it’s no fun having electronics that noisy in a recording unless you are Neil Young.

Here’s the Reface CP for reference:

I had four guitars in one room and had to store away the three I rarely touched so I could have room for a keyboard.

LOL.

i got the CTK-2500 and that’s our everyday piano and synth and it’s here but gets moved around easily due to its mere 61 keys and eight pound frame.

Then I got more serious and wanted touch sensitive and more feature and to record via USB so the WK-245 came in. Fabulous keyboard but not exactly portable.

So then I wanted what basically amounted to the features, more or less of our flagship WK-245 which has more and better sounds than I could ever want, and I just ordered a CT-X700 which is similarly portable like the CTK-2500.

In one room that’s a roomful of Casios and I may have to closet the lone Fender strat guitar to make more room.

I think Yamaha’s excellent Mitif sound engine could get me the few extra live sounds that Casio can’t offer short of the MZ-X500, so I may get the MX-49 Yamaha and save the rest for portable live and studio PA to manage all this.

How did I go from zero keyboards to three Casios in two months plus a mini Korg yet still can’t find a Rhodes?

I had a neighbor that was a hired touring keyboardist for EWF, Commodores, etc and he lived in small two bedroom apartment and he had dozens of keyboards, Euroracks, and EQ stuff all in flight cases. This was 20 years of worldwide touring for very little pay but a lot of glory and groupies.

I didn’t get it yet but I am sure the CT-X700 has a Rhodes in there though Casio can’t say “Fender Rhodes”.

Is there anybody here familiar with AiX as I can’t find any YouTube on that specific tone with Casio.

Only Yamaha mid level Motif has it but that’s at least $360 and a mini keyboard only and $499 full sized.

I am not like some Roland, Korg, or Casio players who hate Yamaha.

I know at least one very prominent member of the Yamaha UK user group who has posted here (secret safe with me) and seems to have a favorable opinion of Casio. Enough said. and yes, fame in the music business does not always equate with financial security-said my classmates in music college years back coming off big road tours who told me to stay in school! Scared me straight......

• Thanks 1

I have a Reface CP at home, as well as a CT-X700. I would say that DynamicEP, Dyno EP, and EPiano2 all pretty close to a Rhodes. The 60’s E Piano is my favorite EP on the AiX sound source though, it’s a gorgeous vintage Wurlitzer surround with a subtle DSP Tremolo effect.

The AiX sound source really steps it up in comparison to the older AHL boards you’re used to (like the WK-245). I always keep my CT-X700 handy in case I want to bang out a quick demo on the Song Recorder, and I’d say 90% of the time I just use the default Stage Piano, EPiano2 and of course the venerable 60’s EPiano because the sounds are just that good.

However, if you do some digging, you’ll find some really expressive acoustic instruments like trumpets, saxophones, and classical guitar and strings. What I would recommend when you first get the board is to skim through all the tone categories and pick out 10 or 15 tones that really impress you. Then combine them with layers, splits, and effects if desired and save each set-up as a registration for future use. You have 8 banks of 4 registrations for 32 total, but you can always load in new registration banks with the CT-X Data Manager software if need be so don’t be stingy when it comes to saving Registrations.

Songwriting ideas come and go and the creative spark can be fleeting at times, so it can be a really helpful exercise to set up your best sounds and configurations ahead of time so that when you’re really in the zone, you can just boot up the keyboard, tap a button and start banging out the tune while it’s still fresh. These Registrations can also be used as stage set-ups when you’re out on a gig too, so get in the habit of saving anything you think you might want to revisit later.

The X700 isn’t capable of advanced tone editing like the X3000/X5000, but with a tone, a layer, a Reverb or Delay effect, a Chorus or Flanger effect, and an Equalizer preset, you can create some really cool sonic textures.

Casio uploaded some AiX tone demos over on their SoundCloud page you might want to check out if you haven’t already. Enjoy your CT-X700!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Chandler Holloway said:

I have a Reface CP at home, as well as a CT-X700. I would say that DynamicEP, Dyno EP, and EPiano2 all pretty close to a Rhodes. The 60’s E Piano is my favorite EP on the AiX sound source though, it’s a gorgeous vintage Wurlitzer surround with a subtle DSP Tremolo effect.

The AiX sound source really steps it up in comparison to the older AHL boards you’re used to (like the WK-245). I always keep my CT-X700 handy in case I want to bang out a quick demo on the Song Recorder, and I’d say 90% of the time I just use the default Stage Piano, EPiano2 and of course the venerable 60’s EPiano because the sounds are just that good.

However, if you do some digging, you’ll find some really expressive acoustic instruments like trumpets, saxophones, and classical guitar and strings. What I would recommend when you first get the board is to skim through all the tone categories and pick out 10 or 15 tones that really impress you. Then combine them with layers, splits, and effects if desired and save each set-up as a registration for future use. You have 8 banks of 4 registrations for 32 total, but you can always load in new registration banks with the CT-X Data Manager software if need be so don’t be stingy when it comes to saving Registrations.

Songwriting ideas come and go and the creative spark can be fleeting at times, so it can be a really helpful exercise to set up your best sounds and configurations ahead of time so that when you’re really in the zone, you can just boot up the keyboard, tap a button and start banging out the tune while it’s still fresh. These Registrations can also be used as stage set-ups when you’re out on a gig too, so get in the habit of saving anything you think you might want to revisit later.

The X700 isn’t capable of advanced tone editing like the X3000/X5000, but with a tone, a layer, a Reverb or Delay effect, a Chorus or Flanger effect, and an Equalizer preset, you can create some really cool sonic textures.

Casio uploaded some AiX tone demos over on their SoundCloud page you might want to check out if you haven’t already. Enjoy your CT-X700!

Thank you so much.

There are so many sounds that it’s great to pinpoint Rhodes as this would take days or longer.

I don’t know how to do registrations yet but I hear it’s a great feature.

UPDATE:

So I found the similar sounds on my older AHL driven Casios and it wasn’t bad.

Compared to the more expensive Yamaha Motif, I would say the Motif wins but I have not yet heard the new AiX Casio which arrives next week.

But when I am in the other room and my wife is playing the AHL emulation of a Rhodes on her WK-245, it sounds much closer.

I think I am going to drive out to the central California lettuce fields today where ironically this one music store right across the way has Casios galore and I am going to put the AiX driven Casios through their paces.

There’s a stunning used Yamaha PSR keyboard, more $100-$150 dollar PSR E series instead of the $2,000 PSR SX series, but the thing has game. I will compare Rhodes in the Yamaha against the Casio CTK against the Casio CT-X 3000 and 5000s they have there and see what is most like our rusty Fender Rhodes.

• 2 years later...
On 12/18/2019 at 12:50 AM, Chandler Holloway said:

Can you please confirm which electric piano (Rhodes or Wurlitzer) do 60s EP 1 and 60s EP 2 resemble(model)? 

There's only one tone called 60's EPiano on the CT-X700, so I don't know where you're getting "60's EPiano 1 and 2" from.

60s EP is a Wurlitzer sound. EPiano 1 and 2, Dyno EP and DynamicEP are Rhodes sounds. I don't know all the original Rhodes and Wurlitzer variants well enough to say exactly which Rhodes or Wurly model each one sounds like, but they're definitely under those umbrellas.

Check Casio's SoundCloud if you want to hear some demos for yourself:

Listen to CT-X700/800 030 60's EP by CasioMusicGear on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/VyQwh

Listen to CT-X700/800 024 E.Piano1 by CasioMusicGear on #SoundCloud

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/gGw76

This YouTube video runs through every EPiano sound on the CT-X5000. Unfortunately you can't see the screen and he didn't bother to annotate which tone was which, but you'll definitely still be able to hear some tones you like.

https://youtu.be/SdbwKmCkAgg

95% of these CT-X5000 EPiano tones are also on the CT-X700, so if you're really committed to buying an X700, odds are good that a tone from this video will be on it. I'd recommend going with the CDP-S350 if you're serious about the piano playing experience (and I'd guess you are since you're asking about specific Rhodes models), it has 100% of the EPiano tones from this video and it comes in an 88 key weighted form factor.

Edited by Chandler Holloway
  • Love 1

I have to second Chandler's recommendation-remember the Fenders and Wurlitzers feel more like a weighted piano action than a synth action-you are as you already know Majek hitting tines with a type of hammer action-and I can't recall-but I'm positive the old Wurlitzer keys were wood, I think the Rhodes were too.

In order to get that real distorted "plunk" sound so characteristic of both-the weighted keys were better for getting that as you could lay off the keys for the less pronounced attack, and really wack the keys hard to get a variation of the dirty "crunk/twang" sound-the harder you hit, the more the splunk/crunch/splat/twang sound. Even the old CDP230 I owned with its weighted action seem to get this effect better than the spring-action boards I play, and therefore I would probably want to play the s350 for its better/broader velocity action, IMO, especially if I relying on these sounds pretty regularly.

• 1 month later...

There are a few associated with the Rhodes. I have a WK-200. As far as I can discern there are three that seem to be modeled after it. In the standard tone bank there are Electric P1 and Dyno EP 1.  In the general midi tone bank is E.Pno1 GM which comes the closest to what a Herbie Hancock, George Duke or Joe Sample might sound like