Video Files on Forum ×

Fixing PX-160 popped out key

fodobeamer

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I recently repaired a CDP230 that 4 keys like this-I purchased it used from someone who had somehow managed to do this.   Whether any part of the key is broken or not-at least with the CDP I needed to get the entire keyboard assembly free in order to lift it up to clear the front part of the frame-there was no other way-as once you see what is wrong-the keys need to be moved forward, and the under part of the key has a small space that the fulcrum must fit into. This can only be done if the entire key assembly is at least partially removed and raised up in the front. Then the key must be pushed into place while it is level-must be slid back into position. I had already examined my PX350 key assembly when I was retro-fitting new felt under and over the keys, so I knew what had to be done with something like this.

None of my CDP keys were broken, I am stumped as to how this happens without some part of the key being broken underneath-these keys sit pretty firmly in place, are hooked in....it takes alot to get a good key out, even if you have the entire key assembly removed.  i would make sure you study how the good keys are mounted in place. You will understand what to do to put the keys back in properly. if you force anything-you will definitely break something.

One other important tip-there are little rubber bumpers on the ends of the fulcrum arms that fit into a slot in the key underneath-these can easily be twisted 90 degrees out of place-one of the reasons you might have trouble getting the key back in place-i had to twist these rubber boots back into position on the one I repaired-these are wide in one dimension and narrow in the other, and will only fit in place if positioned properly-I'm pretty sure the 160 design is not much different as I've seen similar construction with the PX350 and PX560. Good luck, it can be done if you are careful. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hello, I've opened the keyboard up to this point (check the last few images): https://imgur.com/a/nho47YH

I can lift the broken key completely up without meeting any resistance but I'm not sure how to lift the other white keys. I don't want to force it and accidentally break it. I'm trying to lift one of the other white keys and compare what's underneath.

Also does anyone happen to see the problem with the pictures I already have? I'm not sure how to open up the keyboard even more than I already have.

There is one more step-unfortunately-to get other keys out-a small one, but alot more work, and all the Privias I've worked on are designed this way. The important motion necessary is forward-you must slide these Privia keys forward first, then it will lift out, and the reverse to seat it back in-this is partially because the rubber bumper underneath is seated inside a recessed portion underneath the key. and to slide the keys forward-you need to detach the entire keyboard mechanism in order to raise the entire assembly up-to clear the front part of the case-I have found no other way to do this. I recently repaired a CDP230 this way which had several keys popped out from another owner. What stumps me is how a key can come out like this on its own-as when you check the other keys, you'll find out-it is practically impossible to lift the key out without breaking the end of the fulcrum that is inserted under the key-or the key itself-and the ones I've repaired had no such problems. Possibly if the keyboard has been upside down or on its end-a fulcrum could slip out of position-that's all I can come up with-and/or the rubber bumper slips off, then I think it could cause the entire arm to slip out and push the key up.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Firstly which Casio is it? If it is one of the portable not console Privias-all the Privias i have disassembled also needed to have the side caps removed first, then there are screws 2 of which are rather hidden up inside the frame-these screws prevent you from lifting the control panel assembly out since the speakers must also be raised up and these screws are mounted into the sides of the speaker frames-at least on my PX's this is the way its done. I recall there are 4 screws in the frame on each side-after you take the end caps off. Look very carefully as the 2  screws near the top are hard to see-are in recessed parts of the frame. and make sure you get the screws underneath the tiny screw covers out too-the little plastic panels are covering very important screws-these are deeply recessed in between the key hammers-and have to be removed as well. I use sticky poster putty to get these out-to hold the screws on the screwdriver-because if you drop one of these, you will have a difficult time getting these out if these slip further into the key assembly-and will jam the keys if you don't! Magnetic screwdrivers won't work too well, because the Casio key fulcrum hammers are steel-and you will keep pulling the hammers into the screwdriver, will make it more difficult to get the screws out-I know, I tried.

1 hour ago, Jokeyman123 said:

Firstly which Casio is it? If it is one of the portable not console Privias-all the Privias i have disassembled also needed to have the side caps removed first, then there are screws 2 of which are rather hidden up inside the frame-these screws prevent you from lifting the control panel assembly out since the speakers must also be raised up and these screws are mounted into the sides of the speaker frames-at least on my PX's this is the way its done. I recall there are 4 screws in the frame on each side-after you take the end caps off. Look very carefully as the 2  screws near the top are hard to see-are in recessed parts of the frame. and make sure you get the screws underneath the tiny screw covers out too-the little plastic panels are covering very important screws-these are deeply recessed in between the key hammers-and have to be removed as well. I use sticky poster putty to get these out-to hold the screws on the screwdriver-because if you drop one of these, you will have a difficult time getting these out if these slip further into the key assembly-and will jam the keys if you don't! Magnetic screwdrivers won't work too well, because the Casio key fulcrum hammers are steel-and you will keep pulling the hammers into the screwdriver, will make it more difficult to get the screws out-I know, I tried.

It's a PX-160BK. I've removed all the screws already, but the side caps are still stuck at the top back part where it overlaps with the speaker caps.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 5/7/2020 at 10:06 PM, Casiofun said:

There is a plastic keeper on the end of the hammer that attaches to the key. It may have broken or simply detached from the key. You will have to open it up to see. If the keeper is broken you will need to replace the hammer.

How to open it? I have tried to open it but unsuccessful. Any video on how to open and fix the popped out key? I have this same problem and couldn't find any video for opening Casio Privia PX-160. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Before the story... yes, you need to remove the keyboard locking cover in front of the keyboard, and gently pry the back of the key upwards... then move the key forward until it disengages with the hammer arm....

I was lucky enough to acquire a discarded Privia 750 keyboard - minus power supply.  My Casio WX-7800 uses the same power adapter 12v/2A...

It didn't work - so I took it apart and while fiddling I managed to short-circuit something in the small panel switch board keys and play the demo song....DSC05427__84375.1598131804.JPG?c=2

My first disassembly was not pretty - trying to take out the wrong screws etc.  I found and ordered a second hand replacement Panel Switch Board above from Keyboard Kountry - Cost US$30 and US$55 for priority shipping 😢 ....but it came to life :D Yayyyy and resembled it!!! Unfortunately there was one loud key that needed to be cleaned.... SI took it apart again and tried to clean under the key... but to do so requires taking out the keys... seems like it should be easy until you realize that trying to force the keys out can and will actually break the small rubber hammer head - because I guess Casio don't sell them anymore they are quite expensive to replace (US$8 each!) 

W__98173.1571325992.jpg?c=2

I tried to disassemble the 88th key first - incase I messed up - which I did...

So... what you need to do is partially open the front panel in front of the keys...  I found that I just needed to undo two screws on the RHS of the keyboard with a very long cross-head screwdriver and the 5-screws under the keyboard to release the front panel enough to slide the white keys forward until the key comes out.  You need to remove enough keys to remove the strip and the white keys need to be removed before the black keys

After that... I removed the rubber.... it just required a gentle clean under the rubber and board then reassemble - voila!

_cfimg2955298045863385669__03817.1591045

To release the keys, I didn't need to take out the whole panel because on the LHS is the headphone socket - so only needed to open it 1-inch max before cleaning the keys, rubber and putting it back....

Now waiting for the replacement hammer to come through the post to fix the end key

I also figured out that when the rubber foot disintegrates inside the keyboard, it causes the key to drop... so if your key has dropped, you will need to replace the rubber foot on the key as described above.  Hope this helps.

Edited by PaulM
minor correction

• 9 months later...

I had the same thing happen: Casio Previa Px-160 got bumped while moving and key popped up as in the original poster's picture.

I was able to fix this by disassembling pretty much the whole keyboard to get enough clearance to loop the key back over the hammer.  The screws are all pretty easy to find : you need to remove all along the back, sides, and the internal ones inside the 8 access hatches on back. There are a few remaining screws holding the whole key assembly.  After removing all of those plus the retaining screws for the keys you need to fix you can lift the whole keyboard out enough to slide the key back in place.

It's a huge pain but fairly easy.

• 6 months later...

I just replaced a key on my PX-870.  Just remove all the screws the top, side and back.  Then you have access to all the keys.  At the back, you should be able to see the hammer.  Hold the hammer all the way down with one finger, then pop the key back on the hammer.

You may or may not be able to hold the hammer down enough.  If you can't, you'll have to remove all the screws on the bottom, then you should be able to lift up whole the key assembly and be able to move the hammer even further down.  I did this, but I think I didn't actually need to.

It took me about 3 hours.  Mostly just keeping track of the screws and taking photos as I went.  DO THIS.

• 2 weeks later...