Video Files on Forum ×

Formant synthesis

I am experimenting with programming tones for several Casios-particularly the PX560 which has some very powerful editing features, especially with the hex layer functions as does the XW-P1-I was recently reviewing tones or sounds from my old GEM Equinox and Yamaha SY77 when I came across a very interesting set of sounds in the Equinox I had not worked with much-the so-called "formant" synthesis sounds which have characteristic nasal/vocal characteristics-also somewhat like the vocoder effect.  I know Mike Martin has demoed how to use vocal processing that follows key pitches with the XW-P1 a very interesting effect in its own right,  the formant synthesis is a "little" different in nature and sound.

I am posting to see if anyone here has any insight into how i might duplicate these tones with the Casios-i am working on it myself but if anyone wishes to collaborate on this-I will upload some examples from my Equinox as mp3's to familiarize anyone who might be interested. I also have a rather unique vocal sound i cannot duplicate anywhere but on my SY77 which I will upload-a very distinct formant type of sound but uses RCM and FM synthesis, so might not be possible to create on the Casios, might be possible, I know some Casio musicians have very advanced programming skills.

I have not come up with any formant style Casio tones specifically for the XW-P1 or PX560 yet although there are some factory tones that are pretty close.  AlenK, if you are still around, do you have any XW ideas on this-I have all your excellent manuals on the XW, might very doable on that Casio. And since formant synthesis usually uses evolving changes in filters or phasing-sampling would probably not be a good way to go.

Here are 2 examples I've recorded-both are using XW-P1 jazz lounge sequence. did a quick and dirty recording with a Boss BR600, not my cleanest recording. Yeahoo SY77.mp3The 1st example demonstrates a formant type voice from the SY77 called "yeahoo" or close to that.  the 2nd example goes through 4-5 different "formant" style tones from my GEM Equinox. 

Formant Equinox and XWP1.mp3

• 3 weeks later...

Some similarity with vocal type sounds. Still working on this. Not easy copying exact sounds from the SY77 in particular when using the RCM modulation in these older FM keys. The Equinox tends to use more typical synth waves-pulsewidth, sine, saw, square etc. But has really nice resonant filters as does the SY77 in an FM package, not easy to program. Hard to let go of any of these, with the Casios wow nice stuff.....Love those XW-P1 factory sequences. Some are pretty elemental and not so interesting IMO, but the few I really like are keeping my hands in it, including the one I used for these mp3s. Add the PX560 I might never leave the house...unless I have another gig.:www.MessenTools.com-Frutas-pianodance::rolleyes: