Video Files on Forum ×

My MZX is down for the count :-(

squeak_D

I haven’t played my MZX for a while.  Pulled it out today to use it, and I’ve run into an odd issue with the Mixer.

I recorded a song using 3 tracks under the midi sequencer.  I then went in to edit the mixer settings.  Any volume or pan changes I make via the data dial or sliders affects all of the tracks simultaneously.  I don’t remember this being an issue the last time I used the keyboard.  It was running the most recent OS (1.60) so I did a factory reset.  Still does it.  I even reloaded the OS, and still happens.

I don’t remember the mixer behaving this way last time I used it.  I know style recording has a setting to affect all parts when mixing, but I’m using the midi sequencer.  

Sqk

My MZX has developed an unfixable problem that I’d like to share with the forum.  I was one of the early buyers (pre-ordered) shortly after the announcement.  I’m on my second MZX (second developed same problem first was returned for).

The key rattle got so bad on my MZX that it was just not enjoyable to play without headphones because of all the clack and rattle.  It got tired of always using headphones with it, so I just unplugged it, put the dust cover on it, and set it aside.  Had it for several years, and it’s rarely used.

It now has developed an intermittent mixer bug that cannot be fixed.  I’ve done numerous restores, and even reloaded the latest OS.  The mixer intermittently links several tracks together when making mixer adjustments (and yes I’m using the proper port).  I thought it was fixed, but it’s clearly an intermittent bug.  Adjusting volume, pan, ect will affect multiple parts.  Right now if I adjust the volume of track one, track two goes with it.  Before it was three tracks.

My board is pristine, never gigged with, sits under a dust cover, and in a smoke free environment.  I’m now wondering if the MZX’s OS corrupts beyond repair if the board sits unplugged for a while.  Last time I played it was probably five months ago.

It’s not worth the money to send it in for repair either.  $1,100, barely, didn’t use it much, and now the OS is corrupting.  I write music, a mixer that intermittently works is a big problem for me.

Sqk

It’s still usable as an arranger, but I’m probably going to shelve it.  I have other options for playing, and if the mixer is going to be a problem, I’d rather not mess with it.  No point in creating music with it if I can’t utilize the mixer.  I’m still wondering about the leaving it unplugged for long periods of time.  

I actually forgot to mention something else it did outside of the mixer.  After realizing the mixer wasn’t working properly, I exited out of seq mode and played with a few sounds.  Upon power down and power up, the song didn’t save.  So there’s the possibility that there is going to be an intermittent save issue as well.  I figured a full factory restore and reload of the OS would fix it, but it didn’t.

Sqk

On 1/18/2020 at 8:13 PM, squeak_D said:

It’s still usable as an arranger, but I’m probably going to shelve it.  I have other options for playing, and if the mixer is going to be a problem, I’d rather not mess with it.  No point in creating music with it if I can’t utilize the mixer.  I’m still wondering about the leaving it unplugged for long periods of time.  

I actually forgot to mention something else it did outside of the mixer.  After realizing the mixer wasn’t working properly, I exited out of seq mode and played with a few sounds.  Upon power down and power up, the song didn’t save.  So there’s the possibility that there is going to be an intermittent save issue as well.  I figured a full factory restore and reload of the OS would fix it, but it didn’t.

Sqk

I have friends who are reporting memory errors.
In some it does not save the registry memory  in others sampled sounds disappear.
With me it happened  drum kits disappear completely