Video Files on Forum ×

Debussy "Reflection" (actually "Page d'album") on PX-560 with Noire Grand

I am a church musician and found this piece in "The Church Pianist" periodical published by Lorenz Publishing Company in the January/February 2003 issue.  It is listed as being written by Claude Debussy and edited by Lani Smith.  I was not familiar with this piece but thought it sounded very nice with the "Noire Grand" piano setting provided by Mike Martin.  I liked the effect of layering the "Oct.Syn-Str" tone at a low level in the background.  I am enclosing a photo of the LCD screen on the PX-560 with my settings.  The "Sub Sine B" is my variation on "Sub Sine" with the sine sound extended to A0, not that it makes much difference, as the sine sound kind of fades out below F1 anyway.  You can also see that I set the knobs to control reverb, the volume of Sub Sine B, and Oct.Syn-Str voices.  I did some searching on Debussy compositions to try to find the original version of this piece, without success.  If anyone reading this can point me to it, I would be appreciative, as I'd like to try the original version!  😀

20200127_234329.jpg

Reflection.mp3

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jokeyman123 said:

Not totally sure-but sounds like part of "Reflections on the Water" by Debussy-beautiful whole tone chords and scales, a favorite of Bill Evans too the jazz interpreter. Listening on Youtube, without the score I can't match it exactly but sounds like one part of the 3 movements.

Thanks, Jokeyman.  I too looked at "Reflections on the Water" from his "Images", thinking that "Reflection" might be related, but I couldn't detect anything convincing.  Debussy's composition's characteristics and patterns are generally recognizable (as is the case for most composers! 😉) and I definitely could see that, but not the specific linkage or pattern-matching I was hoping for.  RotW is definitely a lot more complex, something to stretch (or beyond, maybe!) the capabilities of my abilities, anyway, and it could be the patterns of "Reflection" are buried in there somewhere. I will keep looking through it and other Debussy pieces... I'm hoping to stumble on something, maybe from his early works, that I can more specifically recognize.

• 1 year later...

I stumbled across the original version of this piece.  It goes by several names.  The original seems to be "Piece pour Poeuvre du Vetememt du blesse".  It is also known as "Page d'album" and "Album Leaf".  It was written by Debussy in 1915 in response to a request of his wife to contribute to a benefit concert for wounded soliders.  There are minimal differences between the version I played and the original score.

• Dan Kaufeld changed the title to Debussy "Reflection" (actually "Page d'album") on PX-560 with Noire Grand

Can you send a link to the sheet music or other reference-midi file or whatever you found? Thanks. I am also a fan of "Children's Corner"-I had to learn these pieces-as a beginning piano minor college student, my major was percussion with a teaching certification.  I was rather old for "Children"s Corner"-at least I thought so until  I started practicing these compositions!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children's_Corner

One source is https://www.free-scores.com/download-sheet-music.php?pdf=40740.  Also, if you google "debussy page d'album free sheet music" and look at "images", you'll find other renditions, some only taking one page for the whole piece.  I know what you mean about "Children's Corner", they're not just for children, in fact, they are demanding technically and are all beautiful, representative Debussy pieces.  My kids both learned "Golliwog's Cakewalk" through their piano instruction... when they were in their teens, after quite a few years of lessons. As a ragtime fan, I thought that was a pretty jazzy number coming from Debussy!  He was an amazing composer. 

• 1 month later...

Sounds beautiful. The piano tone of the PX-560 in this slow piece definitely has a slight edge over the grand piano sound of the CGP-700. I will write a new post with a link to a video of me playing the Beethoven Moonlight Sonata, 1st Movement on the CGP-700.