Video Files on Forum ×

Slash chord recognition as a MOMENTARY function

TedS

Hi Brad,

Please consider the following suggestion for inclusion in a future OS update (and also in future Casio arranger-type keyboards)

Current functionality:

Fingered 1 and Fingered 2 modes permit playing chords in any inversion.  The bass pattern follows the root of the recognized chord.

Fingered 3 mode, also known as "Fingered on Bass," recognizes the lowest played note as the bass note, and alters the bass pattern of the accompaniment accordingly.

It's not clear from the manual whether the chord recognition mode can presently be selected or changed by pressing a foot switch.

Therefore I would like Casio to add a new function to the footswitch menu.  This would be a MOMENTARY function (i.e., like Sustain)

When you press the footswitch, and for as long as you hold the footswitch down, Fingered 3 mode is in effect

When you release the footswitch, chord recognition reverts to Fingered 1 (or perhaps, whatever fingering mode was selected previously)

Having this functionality would make it much easier to play songs that have mostly "normal" chords and the occasional slash chord.  Most of the song's chords could be played in their familiar, comfortable inversions with a minimum of hand movement.  When the odd slash chord arises, you could press the foot pedal, play the chord in a specific inversion to specify the bass, and then release the pedal to continue the song.

Glad to discuss this proposal further via private message or here on the forum.

Thank you in advance for considering this suggestion!

I will offer a suggestion for you.  Registrations can store the chord mode type.  You can use a registration sequence to change chord mode during a song.  A second pedal can be used to step through the registration sequence.  

As for your suggestions, Casio reps regularly monitor the forums and take notes.  They'll be able to pass your ideas on to the team in Tokyo.  

And just to clarify, I am only an admin on the forums and a fellow Casio owner.  I found this forum and joined like everyone else. 

• 1 month later...

Mr. Silva I'm very familiar with Roland arrangers.  I believe you are referring to Roland's 'Standard' mode, whereby the accompaniment is limited to the keys pressed at any given moment.  I guess that would be ok as an additional option.  But I mostly like Casio's Fingered 1 the way it is (I.e.: single note produces a major triad.)  Most often, especially for novice players, a major chord is more useful.  The current behavior produces a full, rich-sounding accompaniment.  The behavior in Casio's Fingered 1 is very similar to Roland's 'Intelligent' mode, which intentionally supplies the "missing" notes of your intended chord.

However, UNLIKE Roland''s intelligent mode, with Casio's latest offerings  you can still get open fifths (power chords) and unisons.  Power chords can be obtained by playing the root and fifth [1+5].  Unisons can be obtained by playing an octave [1+8].  This span is within most people's reach, and for the rare occasions where a unison is needed, Casio's system is thoughtfully conceived and executed.

• Like 1