Video Files on Forum ×

CDP-S350 Static Noise

jcl007

Hi, I recently picked up a CDP-S350, and I've noticed some issues with static noise. The speakers put out a constant static, although It's not very noticeable a unless you get close to the speakers. It also does this with headphones, however it's MUCH more noticeable and annoying. It does regardless of volume. Also, I checked the display model at Guitar Center and it does the same thing.  Is this an issue with the overall model, or could there just be some defective models? I'm thinking that it's more likely that the speakers and stereo out are cheap, which is too bad, because otherwise this is a nice keyboard.

I tried it with a pair of Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones as well as some cheap earbuds, on mine and the one in store and got the same results. It was harder to hear static from the speakers because the store had too much background noise... I also saw someone with the same complaint on a post in Reddit, which is why I thought maybe it's a normal thing for the s350.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello, I know I'm late to the party but maybe this helps.

I just bought a CDP-S350 and I've been using it for a little more than a week now. Since before my purchase, my intended usage ratio is 90% of the time using headphones, 10% through the piano speakers.

So I immediately noticed the hiss when I first plugged my Yamaha HTH MT8 studio headphones, even before playing my first note. The "color" and intensity of the hiss as perceived through these headphones is not particularly annoying for me (there's other frequencies that I absolutely hate) but nevertheless I was worried it could be a malfunction. So I switched to other headphones... this time I used an old pair of Senheisser HD 555 open headphones. Problem solved, although if I really focus on trying to hear a hiss, and it's absolutely quiet around me, I can perceive it ever so faintly (honestly I'm not sure if I'm just imagining it).

Anyway, after a few days of shrugging it off and playing the piano with the HD 555, an idea struck me. What if I wanted to record my piano performances as audio? Would there be a hiss if I connected the piano headphone/output to an audio interface?

I don't own an audio interface yet, so an alternative I had to try was plugging the piano phones/output to an external headphone amplifier via Line-in (I used the JDS Labs Atom Amp), then listen to it with my Yamaha headphones connected... WOW. Impressive sound quality. No hiss at my normal volume level range. I have to really crank the volume up (to uncomfortable levels) on the Amp for the hiss to appear again, and this time the color and intensity of the hiss is a bit different.

So I guess the hiss really has to do with the way the CDP-S350 outputs sound through the 3.5 mm jack, which would be not suitable for use with some more sensitive headphones. According to the manual, the output is 3 ohm, 1.3 V (RMS). After the headphone Amp experiment, I went back and plugged other in-ear monitors I have (directly to the piano), just to try... the hiss is horrible on those ones. And they're not even "cheap" earbuds.

I'm pretty sure you can't call it a malfunction, just design. I wish the piano had dedicated RCA outputs. For now, I'm confident I could record my performances without issue with an audio interface, given my experience with the amp. Has anybody tried recording with this model, and with what method?

Peace,

• Like 2