Video Files on Forum ×

Casiotone CT-S200 MIDI channels

Frosty

I LOVE my new red CT-S200 but how the heck to I change the MIDI in channel?

I’d like to send a MIDI sequence to the keyboard and audition its sounds as I do this but the default settings play a piano tone on any channel 1 - 16 no matter what I do. Must be some kind of GM setting?

Thanks!

Thanks Brad. You are right. The tones have to be selected via program changes (unlike pretty much every single other synth / keyboard / module I have ever encountered - WHY???)

Ableton Live sends program changes as shown and by changing the bottom program number I can access different patches but only up to 128 - changing the values of the 'Bank' or 'Sub' fields do not access any further tones. Looking at the CT-S200 tone list shows a very odd system of adjacent tones with the same program number but different bank select MSB values. Even if the Ableton Bank or Sub fields accessed the tones I can't imagine how I would use program changes to audition the tones in the order they should appear in. Perhaps I'm missing something but this system seems quite insane.

Hopefully this might seem more clear in the morning...😵

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

To be clear, have you tried changing the tone on the keyboard while something is playing from your sequencer through channel 1?  If this doesn't change the tone heard with the sequencer, then the CT-S200 is like other Casio models which have more than one 16-part sound engine.  16 parts are for local control and another 16 for external MIDI IN control or built in songs.  This way the keyboard can playback the built in songs or be used as a MIDI sound module while simultaneously being used a performance instrument.