Video Files on Forum ×

Bluetooth Midi technically possible?

Ralf11

Ralf-even if you could upgrade to midi 2.0 on  given instrument-you would find no benefit-so far-unless you had some type of software or other hardware that also has midi 2.0. It is meant to be a new communication protocol between devices-not a be-all/end-all to improve functionality within one instrument operating by itself-at least from what I understand. See this:

https://www.midi.org/articles-old/details-about-midi-2-0-midi-ci-profiles-and-property-exchange

and even though the spec has been finalized-on paper-it will be awhile before there will be much additional equipment/software with it-implementation will take quite awhile. As I recall from the early days of midi spec 1.0-and my equipment-even when it was released-there were bugs and problems that needed to be sorted out before it became a stable, usable and flexible protocol, once the hardware and software was in place to actually use it.  And i suspect the first stages of implementation will take place in the more costly and complex professional environments although Roland has already released an 88-key controller with midi spec 2.0-if it has nothing to connect to, I don't see any real practical benefit-yet. Correct me if i am wrong. 

Even if you could-I've tried bluetooth audio speakers with a bluetooth transmitter connected to my Privias-for remote monitoring away from my studio-and the audio delay was definitely quite pronounced, so audio works for monitoring, but with a delay. I don't know if there is an add-on bluetooth system that would enable you to go midi-Yamaha makes a wireless bluetooth midi setup, but I haven't tried it, i don't know how it works-you might want to do some more research there. 

Thank you for the experiment setup and your support Jokeyman!

Maybe my question was too imprecise. My wish would be that a USB cable for Chordana Play for Piano would be unnecessary, if Bluetooth midi were implemented. But as Mike Martin answered, that's not possible.