Video Files on Forum ×

WK-1250 Got back a piece of my past!

Harpon

I was sooo jazzed when I took a new 73 key WK !250 home from the Guitar Center in the mid-90's.  I was the very first keyboard I had with full sized keys, and 73 of them!  I was renting a piano at the time and making slow "adult beginner" progress.  I got further along with the Casio then, although still thought I mostly just wanted an acoustic piano.  I lost it then and most of my possessions,  in a Hundred Year Flood in 2008.  It was on the stand- who ever thought the water would get over four feet INSIDE with three feet to the floor, but there it was.  Both the Casio and my Kimball spinet were gone.  I hastily got a Casio WK-200 as a replacement, but they had changed some things and I was on the run so I didn't have much time to fiddle with it for awhile.  In the meantime, I stood before a wk-1250 like the one I had in a pawn shop a year or so after the flood, but didn't have the money to buy it.

Last month, I saw one on Facebook marketplace- only $40 and an hour away- the middle C and E weren't working and I saw some videos on cleaning under the keys so I took a chance, even though when I got there the A wasn't sounding either and the B was sounding loudly.  Anyway- about an hour to clean beneath the keys and they are all back working perfect.  Really like especially the #150 sequence and I recorded a song 20 years ago I may still have on another computer.  If I can I'll download it.

So here it is- I think it's the first of its kind- it records 5 tracks but only stores one song.  It seems to be the same platform later used on the wk-200 and the WK-6600 I have also now, but the sound was improved on most tones quite a bit by the WK-200 and 5 songs are stored.  The WK-6600 has tone synth capability too and DL sounds. Anyway- so it's interesting comparing the same sort of Casios from different eras (mid-90's, 2008 and then about 2016 I guess I got the WK-6600.)

80383638_10157355063157572_5496833384623636480_n.jpg

81171254_10157355063392572_2854696957278945280_n.jpg

Hey, that's great, and oddly a very similar story to mine.  I have a WK-1250 I bought new in 1997.  It's a fun keyboard.  Unfortunately it went completely underwater when my house flooded in Katrina.  I managed to get it working for a short time, but corrosion from salt water took it's toll on the circuit boards.  I still have it and hope to restore it one day.  And yes, it and the WK-1200 was the first WK series keyboards from Casio.

• Sad 2

I still have the original a/c adapter and that still works_ I wish I'd given the keyboard more time after the flood.  An SK-5 eventually came back to life, but the WK-1250 LCD screen was full of water and it wouldn't power up- I threw it out, kept the ac adapter but foolishly threw out the music rest too.  It was all a real mess and I couldn't re-inhabit the house for three months and never in winter again. On the other hand I ended up in Florida and winters are better than in Indiana, if not so wooded....

I didn't know so much was available on ebay back in 08 either.  I've replaced a collection of children's books and even found old books I had as a kid more than 50 years old. I'm searching for sound samples I'm sure I still have....

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a track I recorded on it before the flood- it was actually done in several pieces, and I got the computer files confused somehow so the end is on the front and the front is on the end somehow I think- I put some pictures of what I was doing10 years ago and put it on youtube.  The tone is mostly "sequence" and 150 the number I think.  Anyway it's a sequence that really is a sequence- some things were labeled "sequence " on the later WK 200 and the see to be just a single tone so WTF? 

WARNING:  Bad Santa Ahead!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQoetUC0Wcw

• Like 1

• 11 months later...