Video Files on Forum ×

Modifying the Modulation Button

Planman

First off, I have a CT-X5000 and the voices are extremely good and useful. My question is, can the modulation button be configured to more closely sound like a real rotary speaker (Leslie).

The factory modulation effect is immediate when you press the modulation button and stops the same way upon release and the modulation rate does not work well with organ voices and not really well on most other voices. I have not found any info about modifying the parameters of the modulation button other than speed in the manual. I also have a CTK 7000 and it has a "rotary slow/fast" button which works quite well. You hear the effect speed up on pressing the button and you hear it slow down when released. Granted, these speed changes happen much faster on the CTK 7000 than they would from a mechanical rotary speaker. Is there a way to modify the CT-X 5000 modulation button in attack and release speed as well as the rate of modulation.

You can edit the function of the modulation button to control a DSP effect (the rotary effect on organ tones), or perhaps the easiest way is to install the preconfigured registration bank found in our downloads section under Casio official files (link below).  Download and install the registration bank and organ tones.  Once installed, select the first registration in the bank then select the organ tone you want for upper 1.  The modulation button will switch rotary speed. 

Thank you for the info. My only problem is that I don't understand how to install the registration bank. The manual tells you how to set a registration but says nothing about loading or installing a preconfigured  registration bank. I'm pretty good at following step-by-step instructions if I had any. I've downloaded the file onto my computer, but my computer is not connected to the CT-X5000. Do I transfer it to a thumb drive that I can insert into the USB port on the keyboard? The file is a Zip file, does it need to be unzipped and the individual files transferred to the thumb drive before I connect it to the keyboard's port? Can I select which bank I want to install it to? Since Registration 1 [out of 8] of this bank is set up with ModButton and Volume Pedal Assignment, how does that modify registrations 2 thru 8. What happens when I press registration 1? Are there only 7 out of the 8 registrations {2 thru 8 or 1 thru 7} usable? Forgive my confusion. I think a whole volume could be written about all the features and procedures that are not detailed in the manual. It could also use a glossary. Thank you for your patience.

The instructions for loading files is covered in the manual under the section titled "usb flash drive operations"  "to load data from a USB flash drive to keyboard memory".   Yes, the file needs to be unzipped first.  The flash drive also needs to have a folder on it named MUSICDAT, which the downloaded files go into.   Another section in the manual follows shortly after titled "transferring data between the digital keyboard and a computer" which covers downloading a computer application that can be used to transfer files instead of using a flash drive.  The software has it's own downloadable instructions.  

• 1 month later...

When I unzipped the CT-X Organ file above into the MUSICDAT folder, it expanded into 2 folders (_MACOSX, and CTX_Organs) and one file (ALL_DATA.DAL). When I tried to load data from the USB flash drive (Function > Media > Load > RegMemBk) the display says "Err No File". Did I miss something? Should the 2 folders and the one file all be in the MUSICDAT folder on the thumb drive? When I open the CTX_Organs folder, I see all the .TON files (7). Should the CTX_Organs folder be opened in the MUSICDAT folder, in as much as there is only the ALL_DATA.DAL file for the 5000 to see? Also, how can you direct the organ tone files to a specific registration bank?

This maybe normal due to the thumb drive being 32GB, but when I go to Media the display says "Mounting", which lasts for maybe 30-40 seconds before going to Load. Is that due to the size of the flash drive?

I am looking forward to exploring Mike Martin's organ files and many of the other member created tones in the Download Section, once I learn how to do it correctly. This Forum is a wonderful tool to help explore all the possibilities available in the CT-X5000. I appreciate the help.

All of the individual files need to be in the MUSICDAT folder, not in any other folders.  The all data file will overwrite all user data stored in your keyboard and replace it with the tones and registrations.  It contains everything in one file, so you'll be using the load all data menu option.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Starting over, I deleted everything except the MUSICDAT folder from my thumb drive, then I unzipped the CT-X organs file into the MUSICDAT folder. I only got 2 folders, (_MACOSX, and CTX_Organs). This time there was no ALL_DATA.DAL file in the MUSICDAT folder. Before I started over, I followed your instructions to use the Load > All Data menu option (this was while there was still an ALL_DATA.DAL on the thumb drive). The display said WAIT and then COMPLETE. I then went through all the 16 Registrations and nothing had changed. The organ tones were not in any registration bank. That's when I decided to start over from scratch, but now there is no ALL_DATA.DAL on the thumb drive at all. I tried to unzip the file a number of times with the same result. So I tried Function > Media > Save > All_Data. I then checked the contents of the MUSICDAT folder and now the ALL_DATA.DAL was present along with the other two folders from the unzip. Now I tried loading using the All_Data option as you instructed and again no organs on any registration. I know I'm doing something wrong, but what? I hate to be a pest on this, but I think this is something important that I need to learn. 

That all data file must have been your own saved file.  The organ pack download does not come with an all data file.  The download comes with several TON files.  Each of these are the individual organ tones.  The download also comes with an RBK file.  This is a registration bank file, one bank of registrations.  According to Mike's description on the download page, he says " Registration 1 of this bank is set up with ModButton (Speed) and Volume Pedal Assignment that will work with all the tones."  Once you install and select registration 1 of that bank, you can select any of those user organ tones to use with that registration.  Use Media>Load>Tone and RegMemBk to install these files.  Hope this helps.  

Yes, that ALL_DATA.DAL was my own saved file since before I updated the firmware to 1.07, I was instructed to Save > All_Data. I tried the Media>Load>Tone, but as soon as I pressed Enter at Tone I got Err_NO FILE, it went no further. I tried Media>Load>RegMemBK and got the same results. Is it possible to load each of the TON files separately into the User Tone locations?

When the original file was unzipped, the 2 folders (_MACOSX, and CTX_Organs) were unzipped into the MUSICDAT folder as subfolders. I opened the CTX organs folder and all the TON files were contained within. Should I open the CTX Organs file inside the MUSICDAT folder. Should I also open the _MACOSX folder as well?

Brad, I appreciate all your assistance and patience, and I have followed your instructions, but it still doesn't work. My MUSICDAT folder only contains the files in order from top to bottom: .DS_Store, FullBar.TON, FULLBARC.TON, GospOrg.TON, GOSPORGC.TON, JS Org 2.TON, JS OrgC2.TON, ORGAN1.RBK and RokOrg 1.TON.  The sequence I used was: FUNCTION (enter) MEDIA (enter) LOAD (enter) TONE (enter) at this point the display reads: 001FULLBARC. When I press ENTER at this point, the display reads: 806 No Data. If I press ENTER at this point the display reads: Sure?. Pressing YES at this point the display flashes WAIT momentarily then it says COMPLETE. In a few moments the display changes to: 806 FullBarC. If I turn the dial as if I were changing voices, 806 FullBarC is displayed in 801, 802, 803, 804, 805 and 806. None of the voices from the MUSICDAT folder exist in any of the 16 Registrations. If you can spot what I am doing wrong, let me know, but you've spent far too much time helping me with this issue and and it still doesn't work, so I'll just quit on it. There are a lot more things I can do with this keyboard and the factory voices are more than I need to work with. Thank You!

You're almost there.  You have successfully loaded one of the tones in user memory.  That's one piece of the puzzle.  The next step, install Mike's registration.  That registration sets up the modulation button as your rotary toggle.  Once the registration is installed, select that registration, then select your organ tone for upper 1.  That puts everything together.  You can then save this as your own registration.  

The only way an idiot like me could do this is to have step by step instructions. I thought I could load the tones into user tone slots, but I can't do that. I can locate each tone and select a user slot and according to the manual, once I have the tone selected I should press WRITE and REPLACE should appear, but nothing happens. I tried the section "To Copy A User Tone". Selecting a tone on the stick and holding down RECORD/STOP. Nothing! I am at a complete loss. Evidently it's too much for my feeble brain. I just worry that I won't be able to understand or correctly follow the instructions in the manual in order to use any of the other functions. I know how to save a particular set-up to a Registration, I've done that. But with this, I keep trying different variations on the instructions in the off chance that I might stumble on the correct procedure, but no luck. Thanks anyway.

Brad, thank you so much for being patient with me. Your excellent video showed me the error of my ways. It's amazing how simple something is once you know how. I'm sorry you had to go to such lengths to educate a newbie like me, but I think your video will help others in the future. Now I am able to explore some of the downloads from forum members much more advanced than I. This forum is great! Thank you once again.

• Like 1