Video Files on Forum ×

Casio CZ5000 broken keys

central616

Hello everyone. I disassembled a CZ5000 which is in pretty bad condition.

I have to solder new tact switches and change some diodes, caps and resistances because some strange liquid was dropped on it.

The case is that this liquid also corroded the keybed and 4 keys are broken.

I asked to the Casio Official service of my county and they want around 50 dollars for the replacement keys, which is a lot for me.

So, my concrete answer: Is there another Casio keyboard from that era with the same action? The CT line are pretty cheap and I could use the internals to another project I'm working (bass pedals).

CZ3000 keys will be identical as it's the same as the CZ5000 minus the sequencer. CZ1000 could possibly also work as it also uses full size keys. CZ-1 might not be good as it has velocity and after touch, which may have required different key design.

As you said, full size CT keys from the same era might be the same. Not the Casiotone CT6000 though, as like the CZ-1, it too has velocity and after-touch.

12 hours ago, IanB said:

Quote: "It looks like a Matsushita keybed, and your K103U keys listed under the Casio CT series seem to match up extremely well."

A man nearby is selling a non working CT-670. Maybe I'm a little lucky and the whole action is the same.

I have to completely disassemble the action in order to restore it because is full of rust.

Some pics

20200312_133755.jpg

20200312_133806.jpg

20200312_130515.jpg

IMG-20200311-WA0024.jpeg

13 hours ago, Chas said:

What's amazing is that after all your CZ5000 has been through, it still managed to keep one of its volume/ chorus slider caps! Those are normally one of the first things to disappear on the big CZ's!

That's true. Also it works just fine and still sounds amazing.

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

I do not know if this issue has been solved but the keys you need are the same keys as CT360,CT102,CT370,CT670(these are pure WHITE which may be a nice upgrade!),CT430,CT605,CT320,CT640(alot of the tone bank keyboards from the late 80s), and of course the CZ1000(one version, cause there is an older version of the keys!),CT310(same as with CZ1000, two types of keys!),CZ2000S,CZ2600,CZ3000,CT6500,CT5500,CT510,etc.. I can go on but you get the hint. The keys are a dime a dozen if you have a flea market near by or thrift stores. If not? Oh oh, spaghetti Oh's!

The metal 61 note keybed is on the CT610,and of course the CZ3000, but you may find it on some of the other models listed here. The rusting can be sanded and you can clear coat it(remove EVERYTHING first)and then reassemble the keybed.

I have a CZ5000 with some broken keys, thankfully no liquid damage.. fweeeew! I have too many of these keys around so I am good.. The cheapest CT I have found for these keys is the CT360. and CT370(tone bank Casio).

• 10 months later...

I got on eBay the guts of 4 dead Casio CT-420, including 4x 49 keys those look at least pretty similar like those for CZ-1000/3000/5000 on that BustedGear website.

With boxes full of damaged electronic spare parts it is hard to estimate if I was sitting on a gold- or rather a land mine (lithium rechargeables tend to be the latter). But those keys (may be 2 or 3kg of them) look blatantly like they might be the same. They came attached to a punched sheetmetal rail with springs on their back, forming each a 49 keys assembly (without PCB mount, which was likely part of the plastic case, full of decomposed foam rubber residues). I dismantled them to save space.

Good grief, Charlie Brown, how did this CZ get that rusty-must have had a house gig under the Niagara Falls, or worked in an acid manufacturing plant and played there during lunch break for the crew!!

I don't envy you this project. I would be completely stripping a keybed frame to grind off the rust, I don't even know if that is physically possible, haven't had a CZ in years-hope you've had experience in an auto body shop-use a mask, breathing in rust particles is very bad, and maybe even goggle-like norm Abrams always said on his workshop TV show-"don't forget the safety glasses!" Nothing like a nice metal splinter in your eye to slow you down. But if its just this spot-very peculiar-what could do that much damage, and just in that spot?

Yes it shows how solid these were that it could be this abused and still work at all-or does it?

If you think this keyboard looked bad, you haven't seen my CZ-101. A decade ago I bought it from eBay, looking like it survived a house fire. The case is scorched and severely warped (keys bulging up) and because it lacked some screws(?), the owner wrapped it completely in browntape, which glue has stripped all print and paint from the front panel. It also had PCB traces corroded away (may be a granny plugged it into mains "to warm it up" for drying a flood of extinguishing water inside) those I patched with coil wire. So the aluminium coating on the cardboard shield was mostly eaten away where it touched conductive parts. I also had replaced a missing key from a Medeli(?) keyboard (fixed with hotglue and a piece of blister plastic to attach it).

The PCB works ok (even including LCD) although the instrument looks like vomitted out of hell and of course keys respond very unevenly.

Casio_CZ-101_1_crop.JPG.e17740f1208c0f1a2cbf210a078be88f.JPG

Casio_CZ-101_shieldRot6.JPG

Casio_CZ-101_tuneButtonPcbBackRot2.JPG

Edited by CYBERYOGI =CO=Windler
  • Like 2

Both keyboards look like a complete rework, clean up, etc. I did that with my MT65 and my MT11 if I am not mistaken. The CZ101, I had a slightly burned case but was in great over all condition, but I sold it years ago. Sadly, you need another CZ101 case to fix this thing. Electronically, no worries as you said, but yeah it looks rough lol. The CZ5000 is much easier to rebuild/restore though.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
19 hours ago, MC Guiver said:

Hola. mi cz5000 paso por una ducha o algo parecido. todo oxidado. pcb s chasis teclas pero conseguí sacar sonidos débiles. tiene teclas de pcb muy desgastadas. imposible reconstruir. necesitaria una en buen estado o conjunto completo compatible

Por casualidad? Sus plaquetas madres estan bien? Y las plaquetas de la fuente de potenzia esta bien? Si SI? Pues hay esperanza para su CZ5000. Asegurate de revisar el compartamento de pilas AA debajo del teclado. Ese es el lugar donde se coloca las dos pilas para memoria interna. Que ese compartamento no este corrompido. Si todo bien ahi y las plaquetas madre(las que estan colocadas en la parte de abajo del teclado, no las de control panel/keybed). Vos podes comprar partes del control panel de varios lugares en el net pero las madres y fuente se hace mucho mas dificil. El keybed se reemplasa con CT670/CT680 y CT610/CT640, y otros del tiempo 86-89. Mucho mas las teclas que el frame de metal que es para 61 teclas y en metal total. Tristemente muchos son 49 teclas no mas y eso no te ayuda. Otros son 61 teclas pero su keybed es mezcla de metal para los punto pivot de las teclas con el resto del keybed moldeado en plastico integrado al aparato completo(Ejemplo CT605).

For all parties involved here in English y en Espanol, You can find parts via Ebay(best bet) or Syntaur(keys and some limited parts IF you are lucky). Another best bet is local fleamarkets, Facebook marketplace, Craigslist in the USA, and pawn or trade/swap shops. Sadly, do not go to authorized repair dealers.. their prices will be astronomical and you are better off just waiting to buy a whole other keyboard instead!!

@CYBERYOGI =CO=WindlerYes sir! Those keys are the SAME. The issue here is he needs a metal frame keybed that is 61 keys long and the matching contact boards and rubbers to boot. The keys, he can buy from many places but the length of keybed and the corresponding contact boards and by default, rubber contact strips, all need to be for 61 keys. Casio did not make too many full metal frame 61 note keybed based instruments in the late 80s that would match the CZ2000S/3000/5000. I am almost tempted to say the CT670/680 are NOT full metal frames either. I do not own one to verify.. Anyone out there own a CT670 to verify this? The keys themselves are on pretty much all early to late 80s full sized CT and CZ keyboards. The other option if you @central616 and @MC Guiver are willing and able to, is find a older Casio keybed from a Casiotone 7000,701,403?,CT610, or gulp.. 101, 202 or other 61 note Casio of that time with metal keybed and you could in theory adapt that keybed and contact boards that come with it, to the CZ5000. Sure, you may need to do some ribbon cable to contact board tracing and testing and maybe reworking, but it is doable.. Desperate times call for desperate measures guys!!

upon looking at the original bed, it is not rust eaten through so it is still salvageable.. scrape and sand away the rust and spray clear lacquer or poly to protect the metal and prevent rust from coming back, the reassemble the keybed and put new keys where the missing or broken ones are gone and you should be good.. for the keybed.. the rest of that damage.. ouch! "QUICK! the baking soda and white vinegar!!"