Video Files on Forum ×

Is this Casio MT-70 worth it?

HELVETIA

On 3/29/2020 at 2:52 PM, Jokeyman123 said:

Nice! I have repaired a few computer/music/electronics where all that was needed was a re-seating an IC or ribbon cable..when I got lucky! And by judging the used prices for the CZs now, and for your own satisfaction, I'm sure this has been worth the time and trouble.

Jokeyman  when i was just browsing for  some casio stuff      i found this keyboard  MT-70 for sale for about 150 US$  is this worth it  you think ?90556497_1067611516939327_4220964266460577792_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=3b2858&_nc_ohc=e65FQfdsX88AX9zUDZG&_nc_ht=scontent.fkkc2-1.fna&oh=ed6b2d64bfd1f7b7151a8e7ff0cd1af8&oe=5EA62DAA

10 minutes ago, HELVETIA said:

Jokeyman  when i was just browsing for  some casio stuff      i found this keyboard  MT-70 for sale for about 150 US$  is this worth it  you think ?90556497_1067611516939327_4220964266460577792_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=3b2858&_nc_ohc=e65FQfdsX88AX9zUDZG&_nc_ht=scontent.fkkc2-1.fna&oh=ed6b2d64bfd1f7b7151a8e7ff0cd1af8&oe=5EA62DAA

Found also a MT-800 for the same price 

Seems a little bit high-priced. I'll have to check ebay here in the US, see what the best prices are, and cyberyogi here is an expert on the older Casios-has a webpage called "tablehooters" I reference for the older Casios, in terms of specifications and sounds.  Generally the MTs are pretty nice but I've not owned one. Had the full-sized SK-2100 when it first came out-used it in my music classes for the kids who loved the sampling! Also used several CTKs in the classroom too, part of the reason I've kept my eyes (and ears) on the Casios over the years, and went for the XW-P1 as soon as it came on the market. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jokeyman123 said:

After looking around a bit, and studying the Tablehooters webpage, I think 150 is too high, you can probably do better for a working MT-70 or 800. If you are good at repair/troubleshooting-I found a few listings that were "as is" for much less money. 

17 hours ago, Jokeyman123 said:

After looking around a bit, and studying the Tablehooters webpage, I think 150 is too high, you can probably do better for a working MT-70 or 800. If you are good at repair/troubleshooting-I found a few listings that were "as is" for much less money. 

:)  Thanks for the Info !          ...could repair it but it's old and cost money and time   so I am only in for  working one  unless it's a special model  ... can you tell me what is really  sought after  ..   i mean in  the oldy casio's  range ?

On 3/30/2020 at 12:09 AM, HELVETIA said:

I can answer this for you also as I own one in my collection.

Firstly, yes, $150 US dollar is high for one of these. If it came boxed, with all manuals, bar code reader pen and with the bar code music sheets it may just about justify that price. But only because it's one of the more unusual Casios in terms of what it can do and also its sound generation. The MT-70 is related to the CT-701 full sized keyboard, that also uses a bar code reader and is pretty much the same keyboard in a bigger case and with some added features. The other model that is related is the CT-1000P semi programmable model from 1982, which was Casio's first attempt at making a "Pro" model keyboard. All three of these use a form of Sine Wave synthesis, which is a synthesis method that Casio used briefly around 1982 - 1984. Nearly all of the other Casio models of that time used "Consonant Vowel" synthesis, with the exception of the VL-1 and related models, the ML series musical calculators and I think the musical watches. Those used a synthesis known as "Walsh Function".

The Sine Wave synthesis models were good for organ style tones, and also flutes and sounds where sine waves were dominant, but Casio quickly realised that Sine Wave synthesis was very limited and continued to release Consonant Vowel based keyboards that both preceded and also continued after the MT70 and related models were dropped. The MT70 does have some nice sounds and is beautifully built, but it's not worth a premium over other similar era Casios. If you can get one for a good price, then go for it. Otherwise hold out for a better price or look for another Casio model from the first half of the 80's.

On 3/31/2020 at 12:51 AM, HELVETIA said:

:)  Thanks for the Info !          ...could repair it but it's old and cost money and time   so I am only in for  working one  unless it's a special model  ... can you tell me what is really  sought after  ..   i mean in  the oldy casio's  range ?

Sought after and very useful older Casio models, in my opinion:

MT65/ MT68/ CT405  - loads of features, excellent rhythms, arpeggiator, flexible accompaniment, nice sounds and also some basic envelope control.

MT400V/ CT410V - similar hardware and same sounds as the above models, but with a real onboard analogue filter. 

CT403 - consonant vowel sounds, absolutely gorgeous vintage sounding analogue drums and rhythms. One of my favourite old Casios.

VL-1 - It's a classic and it comes with a calculator! A bit limited, but one of the most famous and most used on a number of hit records.

HT series (700/ 3000/ 6000) - these are actually programmable synths and as per the 400V/ 410V, they have an onboard analogue filter. Note  filters plural in the 6000 model, which is fully polyphonic filter wise (the other models are paraphonic), plus the 6000 has a velocity keyboard and also has 4 x "oscillators" compared with the lesser HT's singe oscillator.

SK sampler series - pretty much any model is worth having, though their prices are high because they are collectible and sought after by circuit benders.

Then of course there are the CZ series Phase Distortion synthesizers, capable of fantastic sounds. Ironically you can often pay more for the baby 101 model than for the bigger full sized models, all of which double the polyphony, have more patch storage and an onboard chorus effect. The CZ-1 is the top model and is the best of the bunch.

There's loads of other Casio models that can be fun to play with. If you can find any of them cheap, then just snap them up as you can't go wrong for $10 - $20 or so. 

Edited by Chas

5 hours ago, Chas said:

Sought after and very useful older Casio models, in my opinion:

MT65/ MT68/ CT501  - loads of features, excellent rhythms, arpeggiator, flexible accompaniment, nice sounds and also some basic envelope control.

MT400V/ CT410V - similar hardware and same sounds as the above models, but with a real onboard analogue filter. 

CT403 - consonant vowel sounds, absolutely gorgeous vintage sounding analogue drums and rhythms. One of my favourite old Casios.

VL-1 - It's a classic and it comes with a calculator! A bit limited, but one of the most famous and most used on a number of hit records.

HT series (700/ 3000/ 6000) - these are actually programmable synths and as per the 400V/ 410V, they have an onboard analogue filter. Note  filters plural in the 6000 model, which is fully polyphonic filter wise (the other models are paraphonic), plus the 6000 has a velocity keyboard and also has 4 x "oscillators" compared with the lesser HT's singe oscillator.

SK sampler series - pretty much any model is worth having, though their prices are high because they are collectible and sought after by circuit benders.

Then of course there are the CZ series Phase Distortion synthesizers, capable of fantastic sounds. Ironically you can often pay more for the baby 101 model than for the bigger full sized models, all of which double the polyphony, have more patch storage and an onboard chorus effect. The CZ-1 is the top model and is the best of the bunch.

There's loads of other Casio models that can be fun to play with. If you can find any of them cheap, then just snap them up as you can't go wrong for $10 - $20 or so. 

:)  Thanks Cash very informative   !  found a   MT-45 ...68....70 and  a  140 for about $60.- each          option on a dm-100   $250     and a 610 wood  $120..

Of those, I would go for the MT-68. It's very well featured and has lots of usable sounds, a lot of controls and excellent rhythms. $60 is a good price for one of those. The MT-70 at $60 is pretty good, especially if you particularly want to have those more sine wave based organ sounds that it is known for.

The MT-45, going by what I can hear on YouTube demos, is a lesser version of the MT-68. Meanwhile, the 610 also seems to be related and looks to be a little pricey at $120 considering you can get an MT-68 for $60. The DM-100 is one of the sought after Casios because it is so unusual being a two tiered keyboard, featuring an SK style sampler top keyboard and a ToneBank style lower keyboard. However, as none of the SK's ever came with MIDI, IIRC correctly Casio had to leave off MIDI functionality because there was no way they could get both sections working with a single MIDI In/ Out without having to build a dedicated controller circuit. As such, it is somewhat compromised. Furthermore, you can easily pick up an SK model AND a 210 ToneBank model for far less than $250 (likely with a large chunk of change), and you will get a better featured ToneBank keyboard that way too. The DM-100 is only worth having for unique novelty value.