Video Files on Forum ×

CDP-S100 Background Static/Hiss?

orono

I've just received a new Casio CDP-S100 (bought online) and something I've noticed on my first day of using it is that there's a constant light hissing/static noise, apparently from the speakers, but which stops coming from the speakers and transfers to the headphones when they are plugged in.

I'm not sure if I'm being overly pernickety, as this could be completely normal background noise for this keyboard, but I was wondering if anyone else who has the same/similar keyboard model could tell me if they have noticed the same thing.

Thanks

By the way, the noise doesn't get any quieter when the volume is switched down.

When stood a couple of feet away from the keyboard, the noise sounds similar to low fan noise on a laptop computer. It's definitely noticeable.

@orono That doesn't sound normal to me. My CDP-S100 is as quiet as my PX-S3000. They are both as quiet as my Yamaha CP300 and P120.

I will mention that I had to return my first CDP-S100 because it was dead out of the box, but I saw evidence the box had been dropped, so that might have been the cause. Luckily, the store I bought it from is 5 miles away, so I was able to make an exchange the next day. I'm guessing that's shipping it back is your only option.

Had the exact same issue: key board arrived, and upon turning it on for the first time, there was a hissing/static noise that came from the speakers, but noise did not change when volume is adjusted. Noise level is not entirely constant -- sometimes it gets a little louder, then get a little less...

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

same here. Its a low frequency sound a bit like a pretty distant waterfall flowing. The music does play over it nicely but it is audible from a few meters away if I listen for it. 

So I called the shop I bought my Casio S100 at and they went around the store and listened to several keyboards and confirmed to me that they all have a degree of hiss/noise from the speakers and in explaining to me left me with that. And in conclusion to the call it was presumed normal. So I'm not going to send mine back at the moment for fear of wasting time. 

I am a complete beginner and haven't used electric keyboards before and thought they were meant to be silent. 

I mean they are near enough silent aside from this brown noise style hum that's constant as soon as the unit is powered on until off regardless of connections.

IS THIS OK/ RIGHT CASIO?   should I be sending it back because its meant to be silent?

thanks, Jacob

Hi I've posted this video on youtube. I might do a recording with another camera sometime soon to compare the audio recording quality.

The most noticeable static sound on this video is right towards the end of it where I have placed the camera microphone right
next to the speakers on the casio CDP-S100

I would like Casio to please respond to this post advising me what to do because I am stuck and not happy with the hissing noise.

There was a rip in my box on arrival and so evidence of having been dropped (which I also saw somebody mentioned above for theirs above)

Regards, Jacob

That's a relief!

Its fine then as its not appearing to be a fault with a component inside as its a constant sound all the time. It is not effecting me playing and learning even though I'm quite sensitive at noticing noises like this. It's nice to have the warranty encase anything develops in the future as backup.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

That sounds like it is radio interference.  Sometimes that happens when a mobile device is very close to the piano.  If the piano is away from any interference and not connected to anything that might cause interference, and it's still excessively noisy, I would move it to another room and double check.  If nothing solves it, then a return is advisable.  Excessive noise without any external interference should not occur.  

• Like 1