Video Files on Forum ×

Can CTK series use a MIDI foot pedal board for note input?

Hey folks, looks like lots of good help here, my first time here.

Long post, sorry, but I want to be specific.

Right now I'm an electric bass guitar player in a (recently) weekly gigging cover band (you know the story behind that.) 

Anyway, I got the Casio so I can also play some keyboard and other instrument parts of some of our songs in a live setting.  However, obviously I can't play both instruments very well at the same time, so the bottom usually has to drop out.  I can tap with the right hand on the bass but it's a coordination nightmare and sounds generally terrible. (Did I mention that I also sing quite a few of these at the same time?) 

I tried splitting the keyboard, a close bass tone on the bottom, but back 50 years ago when I took lessons on a spinet organ all my left hand did was chords; I can't seem to unlearn that. However I loved playing the pedals!  Probably why I took up the bass at 50 and have been gigging the last 14 years.  So I just can't seem to get it right.  I tried reversing the split and transposing up/down two octaves on the splits to put the bass on the right hand, and it was worse. 

So naturally the question becomes shouldn't I just get a set of pedals?  It would probably work out great, and give our three-piece band some real depth when added to our three part harmonies!!!  But that's where it gets complicated and expensive. 

It sure would be nice if I could just run a MIDI input to the Casio from a modesty priced pedalboard and assign it a tone on one of the input channels.  That avoids having to buy a separate $ynthe$izer and running separate signals.

Anyway, the jist of my question is would that be possible?  And of course How?  Probably not, but it won't hurt to ask.

Thanks, any thoughts would be muchly appreciated! Again, sorry for the dissertation.

Nate

The Feds Band

in NW Ohio.

I play bass in a gigging cover band, got a CTK7200 for certain songs where I need a flute or piano or other sound.  It would be great to be able to keep the bass line going with a pedalboard.  Is there any way to bring in a MIDI signal to play notes via the MIDI channel I see in the manual?  Thanks!

Hi Nate and welcome to forums.  Sorry about the delay responding.  Our forum is usually faster than this. 

If you want to connect a MIDI pedal board to your CTK, it's totally possible. Your question is really more about connecting a device with a standard MIDI port to a USB MIDI "to host" device like the CTK-7200.  The answer to that is in an article written by Chandler here.   One of those solutions will allow you to connect a MIDI pedal board and use the internal sounds of the CTK-7200.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1