Video Files on Forum ×

Not much gear

Just speaking generally, relatively I don’t have a Lotta gear.
I have an 11 year old MacBook and an iPad.

I find it amazing that you can make up a little video on your iPad and post it on YouTube.

But I’ve noticed that people get so obsessed with buying new gear

And getting the latest thing when they haven’t yet explored what they really have.

We seem to be only limited by our imagination.

The Casio PX 5S never ceases to amaze me how friendly a keyboard it really is.

I bought one when I just heard of one even when the Casio dealer didn’t know what I was talking about

when I asked for a PX5S. He actually tried to convince me there wasn’t one .(great salesman).

with the Casio PX 5S as well as writing  in nice drum loops

you can also write in bass riffs too to play along with which gets your chops going.  ....

So true. I am still learning how to record on digital recorders I've had for years-the recording power even with my old Roland VS-840GX is astounding, considering what we used to need to record a simple 4-track piece. and then I have 2 Zoom recorders-ancient by today's standards but amazing machines -I still have my TEAC 3340 from 1971-2 forget when I bought it and it still works, I like stuff i can physically work with, must be the carpenter in me! And the PX560-very close to the PX5s sonically from what I am hearing and amazing fun to play and record.

I go back to my oldest Cakewalk and Jazzware software sequencers-I know how to work these, are crude-looking but simple to work with. I take one look at Reaper, Logic, etc. and decide I don't need a 50-wheeler tractor trailer to pick up milk and eggs from the store! Actually right now, i can't do that even with a tractor-trailer, but soon maybe.

Confusion over equipment I've been discovering is a sure way to stop me from doing any real music-the simpler, the better. Took me awhile to figure out-I have so much stuff, I don't know what to play first, so I am dividing and conquering-one area at a time. The old pencil and paper still seems pretty useful to me...despite having 4 different computer note-writing programs (for years), Band-in the-Box and every other software program-going back to DOS and my old Atari-where i first learned how lifeless most comouter music is but...just re-loaded "Steem" an Atari emulator on my Windows machines....what do I do when seriously composing.....pencil and manuscript paper, still seems to work best for me, guess I'm a dinosaur ehh Hugh?

• Like 1

To me each keyboard has its specific flavor, The  PX5S high end stage piano with synth 

totally different then XW-G1 synth to how it sounds both different sound flavor , same for

roland D-05 another flavor how it sounds. There are lots of keyboards which have a specific

sound I like,  The quality of the sound is just as important. 

Take piano if it where like eight years ago I would take any digital piano within a budget of 300

euro cause it has piano sounds. But that wouldn't satisfy me in a bit if I'll get more experience and want

more expressive sounds grands , mono , old , low eq and what not that another flavor and I might 

be spending more for that one digital piano if I could get those sounds. each step of the way someone

willing for higher good feeling keyboard nice sounds etc to get that expressive performance . 

I have a selection of keyboards and apps to suite my needs and if I want a specific sound I go for that

nowadays's its the PX5S hexlayer that fulfill my needs. Next time it could be the XW-G1 or the D-05. 

What matters also to me is capability to expand certain needs in performance and sound I enjoy with music.  

I have a few keyboards on my wish list just for the sounds and capability's. I would love to have JD-XA, Kronos,

Kurzweil PC4 and a few other great sounding in performance as long if it gives me a challenge musically tonally.  

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Hugh Mility said:

How is busking in the Netherlands?

Less proliferate during the years past, In bigger city's you'll find some 

normally near supermarkets. And now with the corona at hand its only

a few stray musicians playing literally everywhere even in trains. 

Its hard on some people clearly not the smart ones  to remain at social distance

some keep gathering. This Easter weekend alone the police wrote out 1800  ticket

ranging from 300 to 4000 Euro's. They even had to stop a train from going further 

because there where to many people on it. but I'm digressing here. 

XW-a, thank you for that information. My wife and I had intended to go to San Sebastian in Spain this year and possibly busking a bit on the way down but of course with the coronavirus we won’t be doing any of that. I did play in Amsterdam years and years ago with a guy called Kevin Ayres and we had an Irish band play relief for us who were called “hot House flowers”. Ironically enough that was when I realized I never wanted to be famous, really. I will tell you why...... All these guys came up to us as if we were superstars and I knew if they saw us playing in the local bar the following night they wouldn’t have even seen us. It was just because the band had a famous name and Kevin as used to be a rockstar.(Even though we toured Europe the best soundman was in Amsterdam)
But I hear a lot of nice things about living in Nordic countries in Europe, all good.

well it seems my busking will be put on hold for quite a while

but if you ever see an old guy playing  a Casio wearing a hat in Amsterdam come and say hello to me.

Hugh

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Hugh Mility said:

XW-a, thank you for that information. My wife and I had intended to go to San Sebastian in Spain this year and possibly busking a bit on the way down but of course with the coronavirus we won’t be doing any of that. I did play in Amsterdam years and years ago with a guy called Kevin Ayres and we had an Irish band play relief for us who were called “hot House flowers”. Ironically enough that was when I realized I never wanted to be famous, really. I will tell you why...... All these guys came up to us as if we were superstars and I knew if they saw us playing in the local bar the following night they wouldn’t have even seen us. It was just because the band had a famous name and Kevin as used to be a rockstar.(Even though we toured Europe the best soundman was in Amsterdam)
But I hear a lot of nice things about living in Nordic countries in Europe, all good.

well it seems my busking will be put on hold for quite a while

but if you ever see an old guy playing  a Casio wearing a hat in Amsterdam come and say hello to me.

Hugh

People in Netherlands love good music we seem busy walking and  passing by but surely stop and soak the atmosphere of the music is the charm of the big city  ,  I'll sure be putting my thumbs up and fill the hat :)). 

• Like 1

In 1984, me and my friend Jim recorded our one and only cassette "album". It was produced by a friend with a four-track cassette (can't remember the model). We were a "synth duo", which was the style at the time. Our equipment consisted of a Casio MT-45, a Jen SX-1000 synthesizer and a Soundmaster SR-88 drum machine. Total outboard effects provided by our producer consisted of a Radio Shack bucket brigade delay line "reverb".

Jim had a good voice and considering the limitations our "album" didn't sound too bad. The MT-45 has a couple of nice tones on it! :)

Simpler times!

• Like 2