Video Files on Forum ×

PX-S3000 noisier keys over time

Dorian, Sorry to hear, but glad to hear you're putting 3 hours a day. I need to get back to serious playing. I don't know how to repair keyboards. Never seen the inside of one. I know if my Casio starts to have this issue again, I'll have to repair it myself. I would suggest looking online. People post "how to repair" things all the time. I'm sure you'll find a Piano repair video on YouTube. Good Luck. If you do attempt to fix it yourself, video the process. So if it works, you can share.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Does anybody have a feel for if this issue was caused by a "bad batch" of keybeds, and the replacements will likely be fine, or is it a design defect exposed after X number of key activations and that the folks reporting it so far happen to be heavy-duty users who reached X earlier than others?

I *just* exchanged a week-old CDP-S350 at my local Guitar Center (because I wasn't really happy with the piano sound and the inability to tweak the balance of voices on splits/layers) and upgraded to the PX-S3000 (shipping as we speak).  Now I'm wondering if I should exchange *that* for something else (I hope Guitar Center is tolerant of two back-to-back exchanges...) -- may be a PX-560?? 😉

It is beginning to seem like some of the PXS keybeds may have clicky keys. It is hard to say if all of them will develop this problem. When the PXX30 series came out some of them had a problem where some keys could rub against each other. Casio replaced the keybeds under the warranty and eventually resolved whatever was causing the problem. Customers were not left hanging in the wind.

It's been about two months since my keyboard was replaced and so far no issues. I'm actually enjoying the PX-S3000 more. Only time will tell if all the key beds are defective. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it was just a small batch that were affected and my new key bed will last for years to come.

Good luck to all with this issue. 

David

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've noticed this clicking and clanking has steadily increased over the last year or so with the PX-5s.  The white keys don't do it yet, but the black keys, especially the ones I play most are doing it.  There's now a side to side wiggle that causes the plastic sounding !clack! .

This one is 8 years old.

I had never noticed until I had to tear down one of my Casios last year-and never posted this as i didn't think it was important-now I'm rethinking this.

You all are familiar with the Privia felt replacement projects I've posted about-a common problem with many digitals I'm afraid-as these felt strips get compressed over time-and depending on the case construction underneath-get annoyingly clacky without a good 1/4 inch or so of piano felt on both the upper and lower keys-an issue I think that's been addressed in the new Privas with thicker felt from the factory.

But here is the other little detail I almost ignored-in between each key-ast least on the PX350 and 560-there are tiny black plastic shims-which are only held in place with the pressure of the keys on either side-I found this out because several of these small shims fell out as I took a key apart. I am guessing-that these shims are supposed o prevent this side-to-side wiggling or looseness between adjacent keys-and also to provide better lubrication for up and down key movement. I lost a few and it doesn't seem to be making any difference-these shims are made with pretty tough plastic-hard to wear out-but are not very thick, and maybe why the keys on some of the Casios seem to be a little wiggly from side-to-side. If you are doing disassembly maintenance on your own Casio-look to see if some of these have fallen loose-and are easy enough to put back in place-but you might need a tweezer to get these just right. or you might want to replace with your own possibly thicker shims if you have a suitable material and only if 1) your Casio is not under warranty and 2) you are willing to put some time in and have the skill and patience, a big if....

• 2 months later...

I had the same problem as everyone else here. I contacted Casio who offered a repair under the 3 year warranty. After their inspection, I was told that because the key-bed was subject to wear, I would be charged £128. Then, because I more or less exploded (on the phone) they reduced that by £20. I had no sensible option but to agree. The PXS 300 was returned to me after a couple of weeks complete with new key-bed. Hooray!!

That was 2 weeks ago. Now unfortunately 4 of the keys (E4 F4 F# G4) are now clicking and clacking. 

The repair, apparently, is guaranteed for 3 months but the thought of history repeating itself fills me with horror. My question is, why doesn't Casio test moving parts within the key-bed so that it has the same longevity as all its competitors??   Apart from this monstrous problem the instrument has amazing sounds and

its appearance gets 10/10. Why does there have to be a fly in the ointment?