Video Files on Forum ×

PX-S3000 noisier keys over time

I purchased my PX-S3000 about a year ago and have used it quite extensively almost every day.  The piano sound is exceptional, and I have really enjoyed using it in a variety of different settings.  I am running into a problem that seems to be getting more and more pronounced over time.  When I first got the keyboard, the keys were quiet and smooth.  Now the keys seem more loose and noisier.  There is a noticeable clicking/clacking sound on certain black keys especially on keys that I play most often.  This was not the case when I first got the keyboard.  I've attached a video.

I am curious if any other users have had a similar experience.  I know the keyboard is still under warranty, but due to the COVID-19 situation, I have so far not been able to find a local authorized Casio repair shop that is open to check and fix it.  Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Whoa-that sounds pretty bad-even with all my keyboard mods, I've never come across that clicking sound. Definitely is not right, none of my Privias sound like that, even the older CDPs.

Knowing the insides of these actions, I do not recognize this sound. Thumping yes, but the clicking sound-almost sounds like something is broken near those octaves-like a plastic part of the frame itself. If this is under warranty, I would leave it if you can, until you can get service. Can you ship it to Casio repair? If you are willing to do this yourself-look through my posts and pictures as to how I disassembled my Privias (carefully) none of which were under warranty.  You may find something obvious that you can repair. It is a struggle now, being able to do anything, but I know Fedex and UPS are still working and can ship if you need that. ope you can get this fixed. I have the PX560 so saw no need to update to the 3000,  but if it sounds as good as the 560 its a keeper, worth repairing IMO.

PX-S and CDP-S series models have a totally new action.  They're not constructed like previous PX and CDP actions.  The best solution is to send it in for warranty service, so Casio can see what's happening.  I know that's a difficult option right now due to the pandemic, however if you opened up the unit yourself, that would void the warranty.  

• Like 1

Thanks Jokeyman and Brad.  I have every intention of doing whatever I can to keep and fix this great keyboard. Thankfully I still have my PX-560 too, so I can manage for now.  Although I like taking things apart to see how things work and fixing things, I will exercise restraint.  Since I am still under warranty for a couple more years, I can wait it out a bit.  I agree warranty service would be best.  I am hoping Casio will take note of this issue and make some improvements. In the meantime, I am still in another world playing with headphones.  =)

@PJG,

Wow thanks!.  It seems that video hit the nail on the head.  That is exactly the sound that I am hearing and the apparent cause seems to make sense.  Although the PX-S3000 is a new action, I wonder if the cause is due to a design issue in the same area.  If so, I hope there is a warranty fix that will last long term and not just replacing parts that could develop the same issue again in the future.

Kybdsammer-

I do not think this PX-3 repair mod is the cure for what I am hearing on yours-I also have never had this side-to-side loosening of the keys on the PX350/560 or even the older PX575. I would think as Brad says, the newer s3000 key construction is sturdier than the PX-3. Even with worn felt bumpers, doesn't sound like this-this sounds like plastic on plastic directly. I'd be very interested as to what this ends up being. Almost as if the black keys have become detached from the back and are hitting part of the case or frame-or the black keys are hitting a metal part of the fulcrum arm directly from underneath. If you look carefully at the PX3 video-which is a very novel way of preventing side-to-side movement-I don't see that as causing this kind of noise-and I've dismantled quite a few boards. I t will make the keys less wobbly-but IMO something else is going on here. I'll have to check my pictures-but i recall there are rubber bumpers on both ends of the metal weighted fulcrum that gives the key its weight and throw-one is at the end that hits the felt strips on top and bottom when the arm swings up and down. But I think there is another smaller bumper covering the other end of the fulcrum-the part that is contacting the key underneath. if those rubber pieces have worn or come off completely-I would imagine this is what you would hear.  I could be wrong, but from what i have worked on with my PX's, this would be my best guess. And if i am right-you will have to be a pretty handy tech to repair this if you can even get the right parts. I agree with Casiofun, I would send it in for repair or replacement. 

The key mechanism design on the PX-S3000 is definitely different from the PX-3.  Since I have a mechanical engineering background, I am always fascinated by the inner workings of a piano and digital keyboard.  I think Casio put in a lot of thought behind it.  I see several connection points to the key, but since I can't see everything, it is difficult to guess the cause of the issue.  As I said earlier, I hope there is a warranty fix that will prevent it from happening again.  I prefer to bring it in for repair, but sadly, both of the authorized Casio repair shops nearest to me are not open and one or both may go out of business because of the pandemic.

• 2 weeks later...

Casio markets the 1000 and 3000 keys as being very quiet. So quiet you can use headphones without disturbing others. This was a big feature for me. My first 3000 I sent back due to all the keys being as loud as my 12 year old Yamaha P85. My second 3000 is about 2 months old. The keys are quieter than the first, but I do have the same clicking noise on several of the black keys, most noticeable on the G# below middle C.  I hear it mostly when I play the 1st inversion of E. Probably because I'm hitting the G# at an angle instead of straight down. It's annoying especially since Casio brags about their keys being so quiet. The 3000 is not much better than my P85, and that's a 12 year old digital piano. I wish I had waited until I had the money to buy the Kawai ES8 or Yamaha P515. Don't get me wrong, the Casio is nice, but I don't think it's as good as the reviews make it out to be. My perception of Casio has not changed. They make good beginner digital piano. 

I have contact information for repair-call 1-800-706-2534-option 2 in the automated answering system. I think Pete was the name of the service repair tech there-he has a direct extension and telephone number. if i can find it, I will send it ASAP. Have to be out of here for a few hours-but will look up more exact contact info if I can find it. I was just there in late February-just before the Covid pandemic struck. NJ is opening up a bit now, I would hope there is someone who can help you on the other end.  They've always been excellent dealing with me and my keyboards woes!!! and yes, Mike is not in charge of repairs-you have to go through their channels for specific repair requests and authorizations. You can mention Jokeyman referred you-I think that might help, maybe not! I've been a good boy though.....

• Like 1

Thanks Jokeyman! I really appreciate the contact info when you get a chance.  Here is an excerpt from the email I received from the shop:

-------------

First, I need a print out of your purchase receipt for my files,

Second, If all of the keys are making noise, I am not sure what to “FIX”

Do you have a name at Casio I can speak with?

Thanks

-----------------

I sent him a copy of my video too, so I am a little concerned he doesn't know what to fix. I want to make sure he can fix it before I drive out there.

• 2 weeks later...

Second, If all of the keys are making noise, I am not sure what to “FIX”

That reads to me as he's interpreting "noise" as "the melodious sounds the keyboard is meant to produce" rather than "clacky mechanical noise".

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Warranty is for three years.  The good news is the repair shop got approval from Casio to do a warranty replacement of my keyboard assembly, but it will take 3-4 weeks for it to come in.  Once it arrives, I have to drive a couple of hours to the shop, drop it off, then go back and get it later.

• Like 1

I seem to have much the same issue on my px-s1000.  I have just had my keyboard for about a month , but been playing more than an hour a day. The black keys I use the most are starting to make a clicking sound. But I also noticed if you are pushing the black keys slightly from the right side, you can hear a click. From the left side,

it is normally not possible to notice.  

After listening to this again and again-how did you manage? i am convinced-the part of the key underneath-the part that contacts the fulcrum arm-is causing the clicking. There are little rubber bumpers attached to the metal fulcrum arms-at both ends from what I recall. it sounds like these rubber bumpers are just not there, or have detached from the fulcrums-so the hard plastic of the key is making direct contact with the metal on the fulcrum arm-with no rubber bumper to stop this. Must have been a defect in manufacturing-just my guess. I can't imagine how these parts could come loose-all the Privias I've serviced had these parts very tightly attached to the fulcrums-and even if you hit a key from the side-the rubber bumpers will still make contact.  I suspect-maybe these parts were never assembled at all.  Somebody at the Casio factory might have had a bad day!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jokeyman123 said:

After listening to this again and again-how did you manage? i am convinced-the part of the key underneath-the part that contacts the fulcrum arm-is causing the clicking. There are little rubber bumpers attached to the metal fulcrum arms-at both ends from what I recall. it sounds like these rubber bumpers are just not there, or have detached from the fulcrums-so the hard plastic of the key is making direct contact with the metal on the fulcrum arm-with no rubber bumper to stop this. Must have been a defect in manufacturing-just my guess. I can't imagine how these parts could come loose-all the Privias I've serviced had these parts very tightly attached to the fulcrums-and even if you hit a key from the side-the rubber bumpers will still make contact.  I suspect-maybe these parts were never assembled at all.  Somebody at the Casio factory might have had a bad day!

It might be... At least very interesting that the noise only seem to come from one side of the key. 

6 hours ago, Jokeyman123 said: