Video Files on Forum ×

Channel 10 drums

TomK

I'm using a drum multipad to trigger sounds in the PX using midi channel 10. How do I change the default drum tone that it plays?  It plays a big rock set with lots of reverb, I want a more mellow studio or brush set. 

That worked, thanks. But saving the sequence didn't save the drum edits. I know it saved because I changed the name of the song. But when I power down and load the tone and song, the drum went back to default, even though the new song name appears. 

Ok, Standard Set 3 is Bank 120, Program Change 2, and I save it. But that program change is not effecting the sound that my drum multipad is playing like when I adjusted system settings>sound generator>mixer>. Are you sure the song mixer is for setting the sound of an incoming midi channel (10)?

Yes, the multipad won't send program changes and it sends only on channel 10. I am able to set the right drum set using the system settings>sound generator>mixer> but I was unable to save it. When I use song mixer, channel 10, the multipad sound is not effected by any bank or program changes. It remains on the default drum sound. 

Thanks, Brian, for all your help, but I am still hoping to solve this problem (see above). I know you said to use song mixer, but it is not effecting my multipad sound on channel 10. System setting did work for me, but I couldn't save the setting. 

Can your multipad output a MIDI control or Sysex message?  If so, you can do the program change from there.

For example, Sending Bank 0 = 112, Bank 32 = 36 and program change = 92 will select ethnic set 1 .  Depending on the equiment and whether or not the program changes are zero based.  

The multipad doesn't send any (program change) info, only channel 10 midi notes and velocity. I guess will just make the changes manually through system settings>sound generator>channel 10 each time I use it live, but there must be a way to save the tone, reverb and volume changes that I am inputting manually. I don't understand why you are directing me to use song settings since I am not creating any sequence pattern or song to even play. 

37 minutes ago, TomK said:

I don't understand why you are directing me to use song settings since I am not creating any sequence pattern or song to even play. 

Because it is a workaround to save the mixer settings for channels 5-16.  The PX-5S does not have any other tool that can save these mixer settings.  The song sequencer can do it, but you must create a user song to do it. Once the song is stored, simply playing that song sequence will setup the mixer how you like it.  The song sequence doesn't have to have any notes, it can be silent.  

TomK,

Like Brad said, the song sequencer can in a sense, save a basic midi setup.  You set up each of the channels the way you want (patches etc.) in a song.  Save the song and that midi setup is ready to go.  Recall the song and hit play and the midi setup is in place.