Video Files on Forum ×

PX-S Key Off Simulator?

bitshifted

I see there are older (more expensive) models that have Key Off Simulator. This is a newer piano, but omits this feature. Can anybody tell me whether it's been superseded and now just part of the sound (I think it should be?), or it's still a premium feature only for more expensive models. Thanks.

Thanks Rod. Yes I see these, but Key Off Simulator controls the natural decay of the sound. The other key on/off features are mechanical simulations I think. 

Edit: It's described here: https://www.casio-intl.com/asia/en/emi/privia/info/

Wonder if this document is old? Would like to know if they have incorporated that into the sound, which is why it's omitted as a feature from newer models.

Yes. I think in Roland's SuperNATURAL engine they call it natural decay, and it's always on. Which makes complete sense. I don't understand why 'sounding more like an actual piano' would be a feature, when that's kind-of the core goal of a digital piano, no? I can understand why they wouldn't include by default certain mechanical noises or even string resonance (although personally I think that's great).

This makes me wonder why this particular feature has been dropped on later models. I'm assuming they incorporated it into the sound. If not, terrible business practice. 😀 

Thanks for the replies.

@Brad Saucier Key off response is for note repetition?

@Chandler Holloway I don't think this is key-off decay either, as their grand hybrid mentions both the multi-dimensional morphing and key-off simulator as seperate sound features. The former part of the sound, the latter an optional setting.

https://music.casio.com/en/products/digital_pianos/ghs/technology/ 

The morphing seems to be about key-on, whereas decay; key-off.

Key-Off Simulator:

"Expresses differences in tone reverberation depending on the speed of key release"

• 2 years later...