Video Files on Forum ×

CTK - 530. Problem with midi. Signal is not being sent.

ancanar

Hello. I tried to connect my CTK 530 to omputer via MIDI to USB interface. The interface itself is working. It is recognized by programs (I tried with Cakewalk and MIDI-OX) But when I play on the keyboard no signal is sent. Program is not recievieng any notes. Do i need to setup something on my Casio to make it work?

You need to go into your program's MIDI device settings and select the CTK-530 as its MIDI input and MIDI output device.  You will need to do that with every program that you want to exchange MIDI data with the CTK-530.  If you should ever have multiple keyboards attached to your PC, this scheme allows you to direct MIDI data to/from a particular program to/from the desired keyboard.

On 7/17/2020 at 4:13 PM, - T - said:

You need to go into your program's MIDI device settings and select the CTK-530 as its MIDI input and MIDI output device.  You will need to do that with every program that you want to exchange MIDI data with the CTK-530.  If you should ever have multiple keyboards attached to your PC, this scheme allows you to direct MIDI data to/from a particular program to/from the desired keyboard.

I did so. Still, although the device is recognized and can be asigned as input/output nothing happens after pressing the keys. Like no signal was sent at all.

On your 5-pin-DIN Adapter Cable - the 5-pin connectors "should" be labeled for what they are - not for what they connect to on the keyboard.  That is: the connector labeled MIDI-IN IS the MIDI input to the adapter.  It should connect to the MIDI OUT of the keyboard.  Likewise, the connector labeled MIDI-OUT IS the MIDI output of the adapter, and should connect to MIDI-IN of the keyboard, but many of the lower priced models of these adapters get the labeling backwards.  Try reversing your MIDI IN/OUT connections to the keyboard.  The 5-pin jacks on the keyboard are voltage opto-isolated from external devices, so this will not hurt anything.  Your software and MIDI-OX can not "see" the actual keyboard, itself.  They can only "see" the USB (computer) side of the adapter, which they both say is working fine, and that tells me that a cable swap at the keyboard is most likely the problem.  Also, you need to check the CTK-530 manual to determine what MIDI channel the keys transmit on when they are pressed, and ensure that your software is receiving on that same channel.  On some CTK keyboards, this "default" channel is NOT Channel 01.

And if none of T's recommendations works-what midi/usb cable are you using? if it is one of the budget Chinese-made cables-could cause major problems-will appear to work, but only partially. Several of these taken apart show missing IC's and/or bad or completely disconnected solder traces inside. These "appear" to work-lights go on and off-and are recognized as a USB device in my computers-but lack sufficient components to get the data through. just mentioning in case nothing else seems wrong.