Video Files on Forum ×

PX-S1000 to Ipad Pro 2020

Tsykez

Hello everyone! I hope are all doing well and are safe in these times.

I came here to ask for help regarding my issue with using my PX-S1000 with the Garageband app on the iPad Pro (2020).  My iPad Pro is not detecting my PX-S1000, but my Macbook 2018 is.  I will start with the items I currently have and what I have tried with them.

Devices:

PX-S1000

iPad 2020

Macbook Pro 2018

Accessories/Adapters:

USB-B male to USB-A female cable

"onn" USB-A female to USB-C male adapter from Wal-mart

"Apple" USB-A female to USB-C male adapter

Applications:

Garageband

Logic Pro X

The Macbook

At first I only had the "onn" adapter, which I used to connect my keyboard to my Macbook.  I was able to record my keyboard input on both Logic Pro X and Garageband.  I did not run into any issues, and the on-screen keyboard even shows which keys I was pressing on the keyboard.  I connected my keyboard using my USB-B to USB-A cable, which is connected into my USB-A to USB-C cable. 

The iPad Pro

I tried the same thing on my iPad and cannot get Garageband to detect my keyboard.  I did hours of research and the solution seems to be the "Apple" USB-A to USB-C adapter.  So I bought it and nothing has changed.

My gut tells me the problem is not the functionality of the USB-B to USB-A cable OR the adapters, since they work on my Macbook.  I feel like I am altogether using the wrong cables/adapters to connect the PX-S1000 to the iPad Pro or am missing something in the middle.  My worst fear is that the PX-S1000 is not compatible with the iPad 2020, but I doubt that is the issue.

I would appreciate any help with this... My wife is actually the pianist and needs to record often for her clients.  This is something we didn't have to do before because we did not have to worry about the virus.  I need the Macbook for school/work so I am quite desperate to get this to work with the iPad.

Thank you for your time,

Tsykez

5 hours ago, Brad Saucier said:

Have you tried using Chordana Play for Piano app on the iPad?  Just as a reference starting point. 

Here is a connection guide.  It sounds like you're using one of the methods mentioned here, but double check just in case.

https://web.casio.com/app/en/piano/support/connect.pdf

Hi Brad. Thanks helping out.

I downloaded the "Chordana Play for Piano" app on the iPad.  I launched the app, turned on my keyboard, and then connected it to the iPad using the iPad connection method in the Connection Guide.  Then I pressed the "Piano Remote Controller" and I get this error.

Connection Error

This function requires a connection to a compatible

digital piano.

I also tried the "MIDI Player" button but it is not responding to any keys that I played on the PX-S1000.

I am using the "Apple" USB A to C adapter. 

3 minutes ago, Brad Saucier said:

Have you tried connecting everything, and turning on the keyboard before launching the app?  I'm not sure if it makes a difference but it's worth a shot. 

I just tried this after seeing this post.  I'm getting the same results, unfortunately.

I would assume that the new USB-C iPads Pro would work with the various class-complaint Casio models, but I think you're the first person to report having one here. I know I have used the Casio models with Lightning-based iOS devices for ages, using the USB-A to USB-B "printer" cable and the Apple USB-A to Lightning adapter.

Have you tried using the USB-C port on your iPad Pro with anything else besides charging?

The fact that it works with your MacBook ensures the piano is working properly.  The iPad Pro is absolutely compatible with your PX-S3000 and our team in Japan just sent us a video showing an iPad Pro with USB-C being used with our Casiotone keyboards which share the same USB chipset as the PX-S series. 

Can you confirm that this is the Apple adapter that you're using? 

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJ1M2AM/A/usb-c-to-usb-adapter?afid=p238|seF44721a-dc_mtid_1870765e38482_pcrid_246386725857_pgrid_14874603490_&cid=aos-us-kwgo-pla-btb--slid---product-MJ1M2AM/A

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Joe Muscara said:

I would assume that the new USB-C iPads Pro would work with the various class-complaint Casio models, but I think you're the first person to report having one here. I know I have used the Casio models with Lightning-based iOS devices for ages, using the USB-A to USB-B "printer" cable and the Apple USB-A to Lightning adapter.

Have you tried using the USB-C port on your iPad Pro with anything else besides charging?

Hey Joe,

I assumed so as well.  I'm not a long time Apple user, but I have always just assumed that Apple products are generally very good for these sorts of projects. 

As far as using the USB-C port, I have only used it in my attempt to connect it to my keyboard.

3 hours ago, Mike Martin said:

The fact that it works with your MacBook ensures the piano is working properly.  The iPad Pro is absolutely compatible with your PX-S3000 and our team in Japan just sent us a video showing an iPad Pro with USB-C being used with our Casiotone keyboards which share the same USB chipset as the PX-S series. 

Can you confirm that this is the Apple adapter that you're using? 

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJ1M2AM/A/usb-c-to-usb-adapter?afid=p238|seF44721a-dc_mtid_1870765e38482_pcrid_246386725857_pgrid_14874603490_&cid=aos-us-kwgo-pla-btb--slid---product-MJ1M2AM/A

Hi Mike,

That is a relief to hear!  I have seen manuals being labeled as PX-S1000/S3000 so had always hoped the S1000 would be compatible, which seems to be the case.

2 hours ago, Mike Martin said:

I've read a cable like this will work for MIDI. 

71V1CzIcP9L._SX679_.jpg

I see that you have posted a picture of a USB-B to C cable.  Did the team in Japan use something similar?

And yes, that is the exact Apple adapter that I am using.

Thanks,

Sai

I've been able to connect my PX S-3000 to my ipad pro using a USB-C to A converter and then a traditional USB-A to Type B cable, and it works with Chordana Play. It's worth noting, the first time I connected a flash drive to my keyboard, it took a very long time to mount. The first time it connects it may need a while to adjust. I'm using a 2020 12.9 inch iPad Pro for reference.

• 2 weeks later...